When to prune blueberry bushes?

/ When to prune blueberry bushes? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Our blueberry picking is over. Any berries left on the bushes are a bit weathered.

I have been told that at the 'end of the season' you need to prune your bushes back by a third or so /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is that correct and if so, when is the season over? Do I cut in the cold of winter, cut now with residual berries still on or wait until they all fall?

I was told that if you prune your bushes back by about 1/3, they'll come back stronger next season.

/ When to prune blueberry bushes? #2  
ive been told & read the opposite (although many yrs ago now so it might have changed...). so heres what i do-- other than removing dead wood, dont prune blueberrie bushes. if you must, do it before serious cold since freezing bark/wood membranes will only further damage the bush...

Im gonna look this up tho, i have a more modern pruning book which might have upsated suggestions...

the method i have seems to work tho, we have several hi bushes which are probably over 25 yrs old.... they are wild, and take good care of themselves... i'll post more later -art

/ When to prune blueberry bushes? #3  
We've been growing blueberries for 15+ years and have never pruned them. If the winter is tough the rabbits do a number on the bushes, (does that count as pruning???). I have a friend that is picking blueberries from bushes his grandfather planted and they've never been pruned.

/ When to prune blueberry bushes?
Well, perhaps so much for pruning eh?

Can the bushes be transplanted easily?

There are about two 100' rows of bushes

That said, it's difficult getting between the rows to pick even though there is a path down the middle. It's as thick as the Amazon between the rows.

I'd much rather take them & spread them out some, allowing better access/sun between the bushes and perhaps a wider center row where I could even mow. As it is, it's so tight in between them that if one side isn't slapping you in the face, the other side is.

Can these somehow be propogated into making new plants?