It's wet outside.......

/ It's wet outside....... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
It\'s wet outside.......

We are finally getting some rain in the Quiet Corner of CT. This is what the advertisements call the Northeast corner of the state. It has been so quiet that we haven't had rain in so long, that some people have forgotten what it is. The grass is brown and the landscape is dry as a bone. I have lost some plants that have been in the ground for years, and even watering them hasn't helped since the root systems are so large. Every one of the summer rain storms has either gone North or South of us for some reason. This is the first time in 35 years that I can ever remember the creek bed being dried up. In past years when we have had drought conditions, it still had some water in it. If it were not for the fact that other parts of the state have gotten rain, they would have declared this a drought summer. Seems that the lack of rain has been very localized... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ It's wet outside....... #2  
Re: It\'s wet outside.......

Junk,
Did you release some of that synthetic air ? It might cause the lack of rain in your neighborhood.

Ben

/ It's wet outside....... #3  

Same problem here, Junk. And no end in sight. Officially the DFW area is over 7.5" behind norm. But it is even more so at my house. There have been occasions of scatter rain, but most of it has missed me. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Only one decent rain at the house since mid June. Mowed the back of my lot (which I don't water) last week on a windless evening. A cloud of dirt, dust, grass, and weeds just hung in the air the whole time. I knew that was not good. This week I had to go to the doctor and get something to unstop the sinuses. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ It's wet outside....... #4  

Well, it is either feast or famine here in Southern Missouri. No rain at all most of the summer, then a couple weeks ago, 3 inches in a couple hours, then nothing and now 7 inches in the last two days. I just finished seeding my back yard when it started. I was so excited that it was going to rain, and I was not going to have to run sprinklers non stop for a couple days. But, with the deluge, 50 bucks worth of seed just floated down my dry wash. I'll start over as soon as I can walk on the yard without sinking.

/ It's wet outside....... #5  

Rain ..... what's that. It hasn't rained at the house in months. There has been the very occasional shower around East Texas but it's all missed me. There has been a burn ban in place for months. My burn pit is full and I've got hedges and shrubs to cut and trim. I don't know where I'm going to put it all. It's going to be one heck of a bonfire when they lift the ban though.

I've still got a yard because of the sprinkler system but my vegetable garden has burned up even with watering it every second day. It may make a comeback when it cools down but it's looking pretty sorry right now.

If you've got any to spare, send rain in this direction.

/ It's wet outside....... #6  

Drier'n gunpowder here. It's been that way all year too. Last year, we had the WETTEST year on record, even with the driest August and September in recorded weather history.

Jan. and Feb. were "wet" months. Well ICY months anyway. Then it got dry again. I even tried cutting ALL my hay at one time. Usually, that'll make it rain cats and dogs.

NOTHING.

There's been two significant rains since June. And with it being so dry, those just soak in, and it's dry again in 24 hours. Even the monsoon from Hurricane Katrina didn't last. We got over 4" in 3 days, and in 24 hours we were stirring dust again.

From past experience with drought years, this will effect trees in a year or two.

In a normal year, I'd be hustling to get my last cutting of hay in right about now. Instead, I'm on the internet looking to BUY hay for the winter months ahead. In 40 years, this is the first time I've needed to buy hay.

/ It's wet outside....... #7  

Farmers are still watering the crops even though he's picking it. They look good but I'd say his fuel bill went through the roof.

/ It's wet outside....... #8  

Extremely dry in MD. as well ... Brown grass trees dropping leaves everything is stressed out....

The deer are coming closer and closer just to eat whats left.

There is one group of four that I could set my watch by ... everyday "SAME BAT TIME SAME BAT CHANNEL"

/ It's wet outside.......

Spent the last few days getting the sides of the driveway backfilled since the new asphalt was done, so the edges don't break if someone drives off the edge. Finished it yesterday and the rain has washed away some of the top soil. I was hoping that it would be a gentle rain so I could just seed it this weekend and have grass growing in a few weeks. Now I have to fix it all over again and by the time I am finished, the ground will probably be dry as a bone again. Feast or famine.. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ It's wet outside....... #10  

we did have some heavy downpours today, however, didn't do much as I watched our puppy digging outside and one inch down, is still powder..