Automatic Gate Opener

/ Automatic Gate Opener #1  

Shimon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 (gear driven)
I have a 14' galvanized tube farm gate that swings open and I would like to put one of those automatic gate openers that you can control with a transmitter (like a garage door opener).

Doing a search on the net, it seem the most common one is the Mighty Mule. Anyone have one of these? It seems most of these run off a 12v DC motor and then have a transformer to charge the DC battery. Do they make an AC powered gate opener? Are these Mighty Mule openers any good? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #2  
One question: do you get snow in your area of WA? Around her (WI) swing gates are not practical. Most use sliders, some tilt ups.

/ Automatic Gate Opener
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One question: do you get snow in your area of WA? Around her (WI) swing gates are not practical. Most use sliders, some tilt ups. )</font>

Good point. We do get some snow but it usually doesn't stay around that long. What we would call a big snow around here you would would probably consider a "dusting".

I don't have the room for a slider plus the gate is already there and if I need to clear some snow a couple of times of year...no big deal...I'll just send the wife out there with her trusty shovel. She's good that way.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #4  
I have a mighty mule opener, its 5 yrs. old & works great, our gate weighs 450 lbs. (ornamental iron).
I would buy another in a heart beat.
Ernie
In Oregon
Where in WA. are you ?

/ Automatic Gate Opener
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a mighty mule opener, its 5 yrs. old & works great )</font>

Thanks for the input. Sure helps.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where in WA. are you ? )</font>

I'm about 6 miles north of Sedro-Woolley (actually the "area" is called Prairie but I don't think anyone remembers the name). Kind of between Mt. Vernon and Bellingham.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #6  
We have double gates at our main entrance to "our place". We also have Mighty Mule openers and for the most part are very satisfied. One thing I'd suggest that you change, from the very beginning is NOT to use their smaller battery. When you buy yours, buy the DOUBLE solar panel chargers and also wire it into a full sized, 12v, Marine battery. You can buy a Marine battery at Wal Mart, with the plastic cases they sell for them too, and come out WAY AHEAD money wise, and your gate (s) will open even if you have several cloudy days in a row, with several trips in and out each day. We went through two of those little batteries that fit into the Mighty Mule control box until I got smart to this whole deal! Now, we have no battery going dead and haven't since I switched to the Marine Battery.

/ Automatic Gate Opener
Thanks. So it sound like you run yours completely on battery and solar power.

I plan to install a GFCI outlet near the gate so I will run the AC charger on the battery (and I plan to install a backup genset if power goes out). Although I do have access to lots of used batteries which are in great shape (Optimas, 4Ds, 8Ds, 6v golf carts, AGMs) which I can always install if I find the little brick battery to be inadequate.

I can't tell from th photos I've seen on the net...but I assume there is a control box that holds the battery. Is that right?

Also, for the FM500 does anyone know approx how long it takes for the gate to open? I thought I read somewhere (but I can't find it now) that it takes about 20 seconds. Sound about right?

/ Automatic Gate Opener #8  
Shimon,

They run on a 12v system.

Yes, there is a control box in which all the wiring goes through and in which you hook up whatever accessories you plan to use too, ie; auto exit opener etc. Be careful with an auto exit opener though as I had to disconnect ours. Severe T-Strms here in Texas with lightening strikes would open it. Also, horses with shoes on can open it too.

As far as how long it takes to open, that depends opn your gate weight, but both of ours open in quicker than 20 seconds. You set the time you want them to stay open too. Ours are set at 17 seconds to allow for stock trailer in and out when needed.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #9  
Some folks not too far me were worried about security so they installed a driveway gate with auto opener. Someone stole the auto opener. I chuckled when I was told the story but I really felt for them.....

/ Automatic Gate Opener #10  
The auto opener is put in the ground on the inside of your property, about 25 feet from the gated entrance and is for the convienence of any guests you might have, when they go to leave. As owner, you have your "clickers" to open the gate coming or going. With a stolen auto opener, those theives still couldn't get into their property since in order to work, the auto opener must be WIRED into the control box. It doesn't function like a clicker opener, thru the air to an antenna. It did the theives no good to steal it, if they wanted to use it to get into the neighbor's place. Even with a stolen clicker opener, all you have to do is simply change the internal code in the control box and match it in another clicker and the stolen clicker wouldn't work worth a flip!!