composite trim

/ composite trim #1  

farmerpsv

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN65
am building the final resting place and using hardi plank. it's a modular and the company trimed the house with composite trim. i really expected hardi trim to go with the plank, but they say this is great stuff and hardi trim is just to hard to work with. well, i tore it off and am getting ready to replace it with hardi trim and then someone suggested pvc trim and it is nice, so i bought it for the corner and gable trim. the builder has already agreed to replace the window and door trim with the hardi. what do you all think? do you think i'm crazy to replace the composite stuff? when removing it, it reminded me of painted cardboard, a friend of mine has it on his house and says he has to paint it every 2 year, just won't hold paint. the pvc is actually pretty nice, doesn't look real like plastic and i'll never have to paint it. very expensive though.
thanks
paul

/ composite trim #2  
Paul,

Not sure if it's the same stuff but I believe I used 1/2" PVC quarter round for an interior finish job (basement wall to ceiling in 1 of the rooms).

Honestly, installing the stuff was a bugger. I had to drill a hole for each nail. Then, since the stuff seems to flex more than wood, it kept bowing in between each nail. It might just be since the stock I was using was small but just something I wanted to toss out for consideration.

Brian

/ composite trim #3  
farmerpsv,

Not sure what you are using but we used Aztec(sp) for our trim. Its a composite/plastic/PVC stuff. It was expensive. But it won't rot and does not need to be painted. It looks good though it needs to be washed. Origionally we wanted to paint it was as well as some composite shingles that we put up. But we like the gray of the shingles and the white of the trim. The shingles are in a small decrative detail on the house. Not more than 50-60 square feet.

To answer you question we like our trim. I thought ours was good at holding paint though. But given that we have not painted the trim not sure it matters. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think it going to depend on where the trim is to be used and what you want it too look like. And if you want to paint it. We like the white. I would like it painted green but not sure the wife does. Thus the impass... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ composite trim #4  
Although a bit pricey, Azek trim is great stuff. I incorporate it into every opportunity. Requires very little care. Be careful though. It is not as forgiving as real lumber so make your cuts right and have a sharp blade. I fully appreciate your desire to remove the composite. I am not a fan at all. As for the hardie trim I like it alot too. Although a little harder to work with, if done right it looks as good as the siding and last forever. My home has the original rough sawn cypress siding with 8" exposure. I used the hardie on the addition four years ago. Cypress was too expensive. The main house needs painting and the hardie looks like the day I put it on.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ composite trim
thanks everyone. always nice to check myself to see just how crazy i am.
cowboyjg, thanks for the heads up on the sharp blade, will do. my house is 3 story and on a basement that stands 4' out of the ground. the back part of the basement is garage. it's way the heck up there. i've restored a few victorians and wasn't fun a mile up on a ladder painting, so am trying to look into the future and avoid as much of that as possible.
thanks again
paul

/ composite trim #6  
Why did you rip it off? I'm considering using a composite trim board made by Certainteed for rake accent trim and gable trim. Have you heard bad things about this product? Did it not preform or look good? Did it "oil-can"?