Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #1  

goodoleboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Still looking since thats half the fun!
Our home was built in 2000 I would like to add a fireplace. From what i gathered from informated family and freinds where we want it placed would be exactly where it would go if it were a new construction. The purpose of the fireplace is to add an wood insert.

Question is has anyone done this and how much are we looking at paying for this? We just want a basic brick fireplace nothing fancy..Any ball park figures would be appreciated.

Thanks

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #2  
I'm not going to have many answers, but I do have questions that I think would affect the cost. Is this on an outside wall? Is the house brick? Will it require opening up the wall, pouring a pad attached to the foundation, and splicing the brick chimney into the house? Or is it on an inside wall and going up thru the ceiling and roof? Are you on a slab or pier and beam? Basement maybe?

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #3  
Same questions as BB but a couple more as well:

When you say "brick fireplace" are you talking about the wood box only or a full chimney as well?

Are you going to put an insert inside the fireplace you build?

Brian

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #4  
Sounds to me like it will be a fully new addition to the house.

Cost may best be determined by getting an estimate. Costs can vary considerably from location to locacation due to many different reasons.

Sorry I can't answere your question.

Egon

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #5  
I can only comment on fireplace choices in a new build, but the same questions need to be asked/answered.

Do you want a 'real' fireplace (ie. brick and mortor bottom to top)? If so, a real footing/foundation for it is manditory to hold the weight. If so, the price is 2 to 3 times as much as a 'fake' one with a box and metal flue with a fake stone face.

We ended up with three 'fake' ones with 'fake' ledgestone that are great looking... for about the price of one real one.

Good Luck,
Eric

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #6  
Just for the record ... if you are going to the trouble of a fireplace just to put an insert in it, I'd sure have to lean towards a wood stove with a big glass window-door instead ...

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #7  
I'd estimate around $10-12,000 to have it put in, and that would be on the low side.

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #8  
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Why put in a fireplace and then put an insert in it? Basicly what your trying to do is build a wood stove, why not just get a wood stove. If your trying to use this as a heat source for your home thats what you want. If you want a decrotive wood flames for the ambience it creates get a fireplace.

If you're ok with burning gas consider a direct vent unit. They heat excellantly and no chimney is needed, perfect for a remodel. They usually vent out a side wall with a special "pipe-in-a-pipe" vent.

For wood I'd consider an insulated triple wall sainless pipe (a chimney). I'd think masonary would be a real headache. Consider professional help and advice for this. Each home is unique and distances to combustibles are critical.

You can have a brick or rock fireplace without a true masonary hearth/chimney. The units, including gas direct vents, can be built into a chase that gets covered with face brick or cultured stone. You'd never know they are not true masonary. I have a direct vent firplace that is being done like this. In fact I'm placing the rock myself and I'm about 1/2 way done (tip: be sure to order enough rock the first time). I could post a pic if you would like.

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #9  
As others have posted, I would install a stove rather than an insert. I installed an insert (Lopi Freedom) in 2000, only because the fireplace was already there. It heats the house OK, but needs a circulation blower to do the job. The radiant heat of a stove can't be beat. Most inserts are stoves without legs and a faceplate added.

Take a look at hearthnet link

Good Luck!

/ Adding a fireplace/ Chimney to an existing home #10  
I did just that at our previous house. Installed a zero clearance fireplace and stainless steel chimney in 2 weekends for under $1200. I'm sure prices have gone up, but they are fairly simple to install, even with an inlet for outside combustion air. The chimney was almost as much as expensive as the fireplace.