jerky, jerky, who's gotta smoker recipe for jerky

/ jerky, jerky, who's gotta smoker recipe for jerky #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
jerky, jerky, who\'s gotta smoker recipe for jerky

Well... I pulled a recipe off the net, from a recipe site, and it had a note that is was from the folks who make the Little Chief smoker(which I have). My son wanted to make jerky, and I was game to try it.

This stuff had salt, soy sauce, and some other salt heavy stuff. And, it said to smoke for 12 hours. We made it up and soaked it over nite. I put it in the preheated smoker, and ran two small pans of chips. It was our first time, so I let it go(thinking 12 hours...)... Well, after 8 hours it was dried solid as a rock... I kind of wonder if I got it too hot; I keep the smoker in the box for cool weather(it's a top loader), and am in the habit of just leaving it in there.

Anyone have a recipe that's light on the salt, and not too crunchy? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

note... might see this on CBN too; it's been kinda slow over there /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ jerky, jerky, who's gotta smoker recipe for jerky #2  
Re: jerky, jerky, who\'s gotta smoker recipe for jerky

I soak the strips in teriyaki sauce for overnight. Then I put them between layers of newspaper to soak up the excess liquid, then add a bit of freshly cracked pepper. I dehydrate mine, so I can't help you on timing. I let it go until I can no longer "squish" the meat with my fingers.

Have fun..Mike

/ jerky, jerky, who's gotta smoker recipe for jerky #3  

I use onion and garlic powders, with either terriyaki or soy sauce plus brown sugar, mainly. I sometimes throw in some ginger. It seems to work best to try to get most of the marinade off the meat before drying. Like Mike, I use a dehydrator, but even with that the timing is variable. Depends on the humidity I guess. Anyway, with a smoker you'll definitely have to watch the progress and try to catch it at the right time. I like it best when it still has some chew to it. Crunchy, like overcooked bacon, doesn't get it for me.

BTW, I think the top temp on my dehydrator, the temp I use for jerky, is like 150-155 degrees, so you probably are running quite a bit hotter.
Chuck

/ jerky, jerky, who's gotta smoker recipe for jerky #4  

Lets see...how many folks smoke meat hereabouts??...thats about how many opinons/variations on making jerky your gonna get. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif One things for sure though, regardless of the type of meat your gonna smoke, LOW and SLOW is the rule. I smoke using a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker...its a bullet type which I strongly recommend to anyone getting into it. For jerky I generally prefer a terriaki based marianade with lots of smoke on the cooker, usually hickory, but sometimes for jerky I'll use mesquite as well. Cooking time depends on load, temperature and to some extent the outdoor weather. I try to maintain a temperature of about 125 degrees, and if the smoker is fully loaded it'll take about 10 to 12 hours.

For recipes and a lot of other smoker related info, check out the VirtualWeberBullet website:
Virtual Weber Bullet

This website has a LOT of great information for anyone that smokes, even though most members own Weber Bullets. The site is independant and not affiliated with Weber whatsoever. Theres also a great forum on the site that is closely moderated. A better bunch of folks you'll not find on the web....eh...except for TBN of course! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...Tony

/ jerky, jerky, who's gotta smoker recipe for jerky #5  

My brother and myself have made many pounds of venison jerky over the years. He swears by celery seed as that one special ingredient besides all the others he uses. One problem he had was using all the salt spices; garlic salt, onion salt, seasoned salt ect.. when it was just right he took it out of the dehydrator but it would later "harden". I believe it was the excess salt continuing to cure out any moisture left.