PowerMax brand generator

/ PowerMax brand generator #1  

HuskerInVA

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520, '71 Case 580CK TLB
I know it's a bad time to be looking for a generator right after a couple of hurricanes. but my wife instructed me to get one before winter hits.

Is anyone out there familiar with the PowerMax brand of generators?

I came across this:

PowerMax 8500 Watt 13.0 Hp OHV Gas Generator w/ Electric Start

The XP8500 Features:
• Durable Power Lift brand 13.0 Hp, air cooled OHV engine
w low oil warning light, low oil shutoff & electric start.
• Heavy duty steel frame with four point fully isolated motor
mounts for smooth and quiet operation.
• Full power panel with oil warning light, engine shutoff switch, volt meter,
circuit breaker and power outlets.
• Wheel kit w front handle for easy transporting.
• (2) Fully protected 120V outlets & (1) 220V twist-lock outlet.
• 8 Hour run time.
• All steel 5.4 gal. fuel tank with ez-read gauge..
• Low oil shut-off protects engine.
• Super quiet muffler reduces engine noise.
• Idle control saves fuel and reduces noise.

Specifications:
• Max AC Output: 8500 watts
• Rated AC Output: 7200 watts
• Max Current (120/220V)
• Max Amps: (30+)
• Low oil shutoff.
• 13.0 Hp air cooled OHV engine
• Fuel Tank Capacity: 5.4 gal
• (2) 120 Volt outlets & (1) 220 Volt twist-lock.
• Electric Key & EZ-Pull Recoil start.
• Decibel: 72 dBA
• Run-Time [ @ 50% Maximum Output ]: 8.0 hrs

I know it's not a mainstream brand like honda or b&s, but this will not be used for day-in/day-out power or job site use. Just some insurance to run the well pump, couple of pellet stoves, fridge, etc.. when we loose power during storms.

/ PowerMax brand generator #2  
Power lift brand engine ??? Will you be able to get parts for it ?

Ben

/ PowerMax brand generator #3  
How much??? This will give you something to compare with other units. Check out Northern Tools (old Northern Hydraulics) and compare with their prices and specs.
I will be buying a 13 KW soon. Either straight gasoline and convert it for propane or a tri fuel.

/ PowerMax brand generator
Only reason I'm tempted by the PowerMax is the price/feature list. I was hoping someone on TBN had taken the plunge and tried one of these.

Found it for $799.99 + $175 shipping.

Price for the features is tough to beat -- but what the heck is a Power Lift engine???

/ PowerMax brand generator #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know it's not a mainstream brand like honda or b&s, but this will not be used for day-in/day-out power or job site use. Just some insurance to run the well pump, couple of pellet stoves, fridge, etc.. when we loose power during storms.
)</font>

This is the reason I went with a Mikata generator. Mine is for emergency power. I do start and run it under load every 2 months or so to test. But when the power is out I want the unit to work. So I paid the upfront money on a reliable unit. Upfront cost savings would be quickly negated if my pipes froze.

Funny how two people can approach the same issue from completely opposite views /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phil

/ PowerMax brand generator
I understand -- I'm pretty leary about the goofy offbrand generator too, but liked the features/price.

What power rating did you get on your Makita and how much of your home are you running off of it?

/ PowerMax brand generator #7  
I have the Makita 6100R It is rated at 5800W continuous and 6100 max. The best feature is the auto idle - it will idle down automatically if there is no load on it.

I have it wired to a gentran switch. It will run the well pump, furnace (oil fired basboard hot waterheat plus domestic hot water), and refrigerator. At least that is what the electrician said. I brought this in September 99 (that was fun - looking for a generator around Y2K. Everyone kept trying to sell me guns and MREs as well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I have not had to use it for an emergency outage yet. I "exerecise" it and have recharged the occasional dead battery but that is all.
Since having the generator worked so well - no power outages since I got it I ran out and bought a snowblower. But my luck did not hold. I have to use the snowblower all winter long /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

/ PowerMax brand generator #8  
I have seem alot of generators & small engines that are comming in from China. I don't know the quality of engines or the generator. I would stick with a name brand engine for good supply of parts.

/ PowerMax brand generator #9  
I am a little concerned about the engine horsepower. Most generators have at least 2 hp per kilowatt of continous power. That means you need at least 14 (or a little more) hp to run that generator. It sounds like it might be under powered. Another point, how did you select the size? What loads do you have.

One of my generators says run it every three weeks. I run them both at the end and the middle of the month with an electric heater connected to each. I actually keep two electric heaters in the shed for this purpose. This helps dry moisture out of the generator.

I am leary of off brand generators. If I were buying again, I would get all Honda (generator and engine).

It is also a good idea to stock things like spare air filters, oil fiters and oil and a lot of 5 gallons gas cans. Five should do it. You cannot buy this stuff during a power outage.

Bob Rip

/ PowerMax brand generator #10  
Not sure how you figured out the size you needed, but I might be leery of an odd brand like that. I purchased a Generac 4KW 8hp unit in the summer of 2000 to use with my camper. (27' fully equipped travel trailer) I chose this model because I wanted one with a 30amp 110 outlet, that actually put out 30 amps. I attend a lot of Nascar races and the campsites at the tracks have no hook ups. This unit has been flawless for the past 6 years. Since moving to Tn. this year I keep it close by. We are about 20 miles from town and the power goes out here at least once a month. Out for anywhere from 1 to 6 hours at a time(yeah, we are at the end of the line!). This unit also has a 20 amp 220 outlet, so I backfeed the 20 amp 220 line back to the panel and run the well pump, refrigerator, freezer and the living room lights and TV. I am gonna wait until we are here for a full year, see how the power holds up in winter, to decide if I will get a larger generator as a permenant stand by hookup. BTW, besides a heat pump, we also have a wood stove for heat, so this 4kw unit will do for now.