"good" all terrain truck tires?

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
\"good\" all terrain truck tires?

I'm sure RedRocker could help me on this one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a 98 toyota T00 extended cab (bought used 3 years ago).

Need new tires. Original tires were "highway", but now looking for somthing like the old wranglers that I had on my other Toyota.

Once in a while I use the truck for work or drive up to Pa to visit my dad (about an 8 hour trip), but, with the new house and land, doing a lot of work out back with the truck. Plus the fact that since most of the housework is done this past year (new house in March), I will be heading back up to West Virginia in some pretty remote off roads to do some kayaking.

I don't want serious "off road" tires, but I would like somthing to give me more traction to what I've been used to with the current tires (a couple of times hauling timber up a pasture the truck would slip because of the tires). With fuel prices the way they are, and doing some highway miles as well (a 4 hour trip to to W.V) I would like somthing that won't "kill" me on gas consumption.

Don't know if I can have my cake and eat it too by having off road tires, but looking for suggestions on a good brand that can go between highway and offroad miles.

Any suggestions on what to look at would be appreciated.

Thks

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #2  
Re: \"good\" all terrain truck tires?

Tread patterns really make a difference with the size of the tires. A friend had BFG all terrains on his ranger and they were just about useless offroad. They were small tires and there was just no space in between the treads to clean out anything but dust.

I bought my current truck with the same BFG all terrain tires on it already, but they are 33 inch tires and have some decent sized space between the lugs. It's like night and day how the large tire performs compared to the smaller version.

I have red clay on my place and can get around in 4X4 when it's wet out. They perform great on the highway and after 10,000 miles, theres still barely any wear on them.

I'd buy them again, but I honestly don't know too much about the other brands out there to compare them to.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #3  

I like the Toyo Open Country tires. Very tough, and decent tread for road and trail. Not the best in mud, but I don't think any all-terrain tire is.

I'm not sure who sells them on the east coast.

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #4  

I would recommend Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO. I use my Ford Excursion to deliver firewood. I tow a 9k pound trailer, sometimes on-road and sometime off. The Revo's have a deep tread pattern that gives excellent traction off-road, without sounding like a freight train coming down the highway. I am very critical of the wet road performance of tires (why I'd never own Michelins) and these are excellent. If I had to complain about one thing, it's that they pick up rocks more than my previous tires. But that is fairly common with any more aggressive tread pattern.

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #5  

I have Toyo Open Country now on my F250. They are in need of being replaced, they were fine. If I were keeping this truck, I would go back to the Michelin XPS traction tire though. Tougher, much longer lasting, better off road performance and almost bullet proof. Major drawback is the size selection, they are severely limited in this area. I'm sure they don't have one for a Toyota T100.

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #6  

I prefer the BFG A/T's Ooops, I meant to say T/A's

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #7  

We've got the Goodyear Wrangle M/T Off Road tires on our Chevy Z-71, excellent both on the highway and way out in the swamps.

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #8  

Another vote for the BFG A/Ts, although I have heard rumors that they don't hold up well on heavier vehicles (full size pickups). Great on midsize or smaller SUVs and pickups though.

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #9  

Take a look at the Nokian brand. They are a Finnish tire. I put a set on my F350 and they have been great. Many of the job sites I work on have less than desireable terrain and with tool trailer in tow I need all the traction I can get. Prices were reasonable too.

/ "good" all terrain truck tires? #10  

BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA radials. You will never try another tire once you use these. I used to run 33" x 12.5 on my old Chevy in the summer and 33" x 9.5 in the winter. My "new" truck (1995 Chevy K-2500) wears 32" tall BFG AT's. I had my old truck for 20 years and I tried them all: Dunlops, Michelins, Mickey Thompsons, etc. Halfway through the truck's life I found the BFG's and never went back. Great highway wear and they'll go anywhere you want. My farm get's pretty muddy come spring and I have yet to get stuck. I hunt the backwoods of Maine every November and I've yet to get stuck there as well. My wife's 4-runner came with Toyo's and only because of the fact that they were brand new has kept me from swapping them out to BFG AT's. Did I mention I like the BFG's? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif