Rural Living or City Living?

/ Rural Living or City Living? #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
I had an interesting caller at the door this afternoon. We're now living in town in a residential neighborhood. Our lot, and many others in the immediate vicinity, is 70' x 130' although there are several in the neighborhood that are easily twice that large. And we're new in the area; only been here about 3 weeks. We have, on several occasions, heard a rooster crowing in the mornings when we've been outside. I was a little surprised to hear a rooster here, but it certainly doesn't bother me at all, and it's got to be at least 4 or 5 houses down the street; maybe more. But this afternoon, two teenagers, a boy and a girl, came to the door "taking a survey". It's her rooster, she's gotten complaints, and she's trying to find out who's on her side and who isn't. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I had to tell her this was one I wouldn't take sides on; it doesn't bother me in the least, but I can understand how it might be bothering someone else. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Rural Living or City Living? #2  
I was happy when something ate my rooster, not so happy about the chickens though.

/ Rural Living or City Living? #3  
Bird, two years ago we moved away from Richland Hills in Tarrant County, now a small northeastern suburb of Ft. Worth. But when it was first incorporated 40-50 years ago, it was way out on the fringes and the zoning allowed horses and any farm animals except swine I think. The suburbs grew up and completely surrounded it (Hurst, NRH, etc.) but the original zoning and some big lots remain to this day. I wonder if Corinth has a similar history?

/ Rural Living or City Living?
Yep, Pete, Corinth is something similar; just incorporated in 1960 with about 2 square miles and 200 population which had only grown to 461 in 1970, but then it started growing in the '90s; now nearly 8 square miles and over 16,000 population. From my house, right in the middle of this development, I can go about 1200' east to I-35, 1200' south to undeveloped land, or 1200' west to a big horse ranch and a goat ranch. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I just now read the city ordinances and apparently you can keep any kind of animal you want in the city, except venemous reptiles, however if two people, not from the same address, want to complain about "an animal which habitually howls, barks, yelps, or crows" and the owner doesn't do something to stop it, he or she is in trouble. So that young lady may have to get rid of her rooster. And a person can also be in trouble if the accumulation of their animal wastes cause foul or offensive odors. So I guess that might make keeping hogs a problem; however, I see there's an exception to that ordinance if the property is being used for agricultural purposes in accordance with the city's zoning ordinance. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Rural Living or City Living? #5  
people have been known to call the police in my town when roosters start calling the am. I like it, can't understand what ppl's problem is with the rooster... what, the problem is that ppl like the idea of country living but when faced with what comes with it, they get miffed... go figure.. ? I can't tell you how many times I was almost plowed into (the back) on my tractor by SUVs and such this summer while going in-between properties/fields. (so many times I'm considering a trailer). I'd say to the folks irritated with the rooster, go back to the city.
-art

/ Rural Living or City Living? #6  
Bird,

Before I sold off part of my land I had a tennant from El Salvador renting from me. One morning at about 4am a rooster started crowing, which woke me up. It kept going on and on and on .....

When it was light out I went outside with my shotgun to find this animal. It was on my tenants porch with a string tied to it's foot and a rail of the porch.

I told them that the rooster had to go. If it woke me up again the next morning, it would be dinner.

It was gone after that and I didn't hear it for several weeks, but every now and then I'd hear it very faintly when I was outside. I thought it was a different rooster down the road a ways until one day I was talking to them when I asked if they ever heard the rooster.

They still had it, but had moved it into their moble home. They were living with a rooster indoors with them. It wasn't caged or tied up. It wondered around the house and did what it wanted, when it wanted.

Different cultures I guess, but any animal that wakes me up early in the morning isn't anything I want around me.

If it's already there when I moved there, than I belive it's grandfathered in and I'd live with it, not happy about it, but I believe it was there first and that's that.

Eddie

/ Rural Living or City Living? #7  
EddirWalker: </font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it's already there when I moved there, than I belive it's grandfathered in and I'd live with it, not happy about it, but I believe it was there first and that's that. )</font>

My neighbors need to learn, I've been here for over twenty years, so, my piece & quiet is grandfathered.

arthr31: </font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'd say to the folks irritated with the rooster, go back to the city. )</font>

The problem there is, the city came here...It used to be nice and quiet here until the stupid developers subdivided all around me. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Down here, when there's more than one rooster per address they tend to take that serious. They bust a couple of cock-fighting rings a year here.

/ Rural Living or City Living? #8  
"When it was light out I went outside with my shotgun to find this animal."

I need to move to Texas. Couldn't do that here. Though my shotgun is still warm from 75 shots at clay pigeons on Friday.

When you live on the fringe between city/country nomatter who was there first there will be problems. Time to move. Make a commitment to being deep in the city or deep in the country. The transition areas seem to be larger around the smaller cities.

/ Rural Living or City Living? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( people have been known to call the police in my town when roosters start calling the am. I like it, can't understand what ppl's problem is with the rooster... what, the problem is that ppl like the idea of country living but when faced with what comes with it, they get miffed... go figure.. ? I can't tell you how many times I was almost plowed into (the back) on my tractor by SUVs and such this summer while going in-between properties/fields. (so many times I'm considering a trailer). I'd say to the folks irritated with the rooster, go back to the city.
-art )</font>

I'm still a bit angered from last year when the nighbors called the sheriff on me and the guy who farms our place for running a combine at 3 am and keeping them awake. They called me the next day to let me have it about being out "tilling" the field all night and keeping them awake. Long story on it but it ain't the first run in with them either.

So take a guess which field it is that I go to when I feel the need to expend a few hundred rounds from my 9mm, .30-.30, 20 or 12 gauge or any other loud boomer that I own?

I fully agree, some people need to stay in town!

/ Rural Living or City Living? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm still a bit angered from last year when the nighbors called the sheriff on me and the guy who farms our place for running a combine at 3 am and keeping them awake )</font>
When I first moved in here I was woken up at 1 AM in early spring by what I thought was a plane making an emergency landing. Looking out the windows I saw a tractor with some kind of contraption on the back end driving up and down the vineyards across from my house. It was making one heck of a racket, or so I thought at that time. I figured it was a fogger of some sorts to prevent frost. It never dawned on me to call anybody about the noise because it WAS ag land. It was just one more sound I filed in the memory banks as nothing to lose any sleep over and perfectly natural.

A while later I was talking with a farmer and asked him if anybody ever complained about the noise they made and he told me there is some kind of permit they can get at the borough office that allows them to make business related noise at all hours. It seems dumb that you should need a permit, but it may be something to check into. At least the sheriff would ignore the callers.