Roots in sewer?

/ Roots in sewer? #1  

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
What in the world can a person do to keep tree roots out of the sewer line, going from the house to the septic tank? They seem to be entering the pipe in two places, both are were the pipe was cut a few years back and spliced back with two rubber couplings with clamps.

/ Roots in sewer? #2  
I have used copper sulfate crystals in my drains to ****** growth of roots. Works good. I purchased it from local hardware store. Follow directions on can closely. I have not used it in recent years because I removed the offending trees. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Roots in sewer? #3  
What kind of tree? Some species, such as willow, will seek out roots from a great distance. The best way I know of in that case is to remove the tree.

/ Roots in sewer? #4  
If you know the place and it's not too much trouble. Dig it up and encase the joints with concrete.

/ Roots in sewer?
looks to be some type of maple tree, As for removing it , That would be the last resort. I really sure the two spots are were it was spliced with the rubber couplings.

/ Roots in sewer? #6  
Those roots will do amazing things to seek warm nutrient rich water. The roots must have a way in. Whether a crack, loose joint, or break.

Another last resort is to burst in a new pipe. That is, pull a new smooth wall pipe through the old pipe with a winch. Companies do it out here and it is amazingly effective.

/ Roots in sewer? #7  
Sounds like a perfect excuse to buy a backhoe /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The rubber couplings should be rootproof. Other than digging it up, if you have a 4" pipe cleaned with 4" blades, not 3's or jetter, then it should last 3-5 years or more. The copper sulfate will slow them down or better is the foaming type stuff.