Landlord Advice

/ Landlord Advice #1  

WhyNot

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2210
I need some advice to pass on to my parents about some trouble they are having with their landlord. They have been renting the same farm house for about 30 years now for the cost of taxs and insurance. My parents take care of the minor upkeep of the house since the rent is so low. Now the landlord is 80 and healthy as a 20 year old. A couple years ago I was still living at home with my parents and the LL hurt his hand so I was working 7 days a week for him a couple hours a day and sometimes all day on the weekends plus working on the dairy and my regular day job. All was well until one day I picked up a trailer load of hay for him and unloaded it and when I went to see if they wanted another load he decided to tell me that my 11 year old brother should be helping me and not at a friends house playing like all kids should do even though my brother helped him whenever he was around. Well that started WW3 and I moved out on my own accord and have not talked to the LL since. Now to present. My parents take care of the property which is about 1 acre and there used to be horse fence all around the property at the begining of the summer my father asked the LL if he could remove what was left of the rotting fence and he said sure just leave the good post so he could replace the fence with new. We took down all the fence and left all the good post just as asked except for about 100 ft that was tangled in vines and ivy. Well yesterday my brother brought home his bosses mini excavator to finish the job and dig out the vines. The LL came up to the house while this was going on and talked to my dad about whatever and left. Well this morning the LL shows up pounding on the door. When my dad answered the LL let loose and basically blamed him for the way their out buildings has rotted away and that he want's that last 100 ft of fence pu back up by Tuesday or he is calling the cops and that all he want's is for my parent's to cut the grass and pay the rent. All this just trying to help someone. What gives???

/ Landlord Advice #2  
Probably getting 80 years under his belt and running low on brain cells is what gives.
No need to make WW3 out of it, the way I see it. If you (and parents) are mature about what you are doing, and sticking to your business with getting on with your life on your own, seems it doesn't need to be part of the landlord's life.
It's his place, from the sounds of it. If all he wants is what he asked for, then just as well stay out of the rest of his 'territory' and let it be 'just his'.
Reading between the lines, sounds like you folks have some longing to someday have this farm. Hopefully that isn't true, but its what it seems like to explain your interest beyond just a place to call home until you find something else.

/ Landlord Advice
No they don't want the farm they are town folk and have only stayed there because of the low rent it didn't make any sense to purchase a house. As soon as they retire they plan on moving to the shore so the last thing they want is a farm. All they want is to live in a house that is presentable and not a dump.

/ Landlord Advice #4  
I hear you.
But it's the landlords place, and as you said he said "all he want's is for (your) parent's to cut the grass and pay the rent", and that would be best to stick to that. Sorry to hear all are not happy with the situation.

I have an 80 year old friend who owns the 'farm' next to us, and he rents out the house. He watches 'his' place like a hawk, and just be glad your parents aren't renting from him. (However, he does keep the farm up looking pretty darn good without help from anyone). He is one 'tough' landlord.

/ Landlord Advice #5  
I presume there's no written contract about who does what...
(sloppy landlording)

As a landlord I can tell you he means what he says although calling the cops is somewhat a rash action as they'll be able to do little as renter's have rights in most states I'm familar with so long as the rent is up to date.

***Check laws in your state!*** In AR, it takes a minimum of 10 days for an eviction and longer (I forget) for an ejection.

I'm with the "dried up brain cells" crowd and it won't get better. I'd probably just move...

You've commited some fopa to "his castle" and it will likely change your whole relationship from now on. Just my idle speculation, take it for what you paid.

/ Landlord Advice #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "father asked the LL if he could remove what was left of the rotting fence and he said sure just leave the good post so he could replace the fence with new. ")</font>

Then

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "my brother brought home his bosses mini excavator")</font>

Sloppy landlording, 80 years of living in Jersey /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, and renter assumptions add up to stuff like this.
There is a difference beween cleaning up a fence and bringing in an excavator. He dosent have to evict to have someone arrested for bringing excavators onto his property. I think you should be building some fence. Then cut the grass and pay the rent, or move.

/ Landlord Advice
there was no assumption every thing was done with his permisson and he had no trouble with the excavader when we cleared a half acre for him plus the fact that he was there when they got started and didn't say a peep. Well they now know why he decided to make this an issue and this is no joke " Verna told him that she did not want the fence removed" well thats fine but Verna is his dead wife. Parent's did not ask any ?'s

/ Landlord Advice #8  
With luck, we will all reach his age, and with more luck, we will still have our 'perfect' mind and body.

But given that it's his place, is it really enough to get excited over? Probably time for your parents to set with him and find out what kind of fence "Verna" wanted there, and see if he still insists he wants it back for 'her'. Probably the old man doesn't want to be a curmudgeon any more than your parents want him to be. After so many years of being in his house, they probably know how to 'get along' with the landlord.

I'm assuming you are grown up and gone from home now.

/ Landlord Advice #9  
Well him giving permission must have REALLY made Verna mad for her to come all that way. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Build some fence, make Verna happy, and write this in the family book. It will be funnier in 20 years. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif