Please recommend a hand held GPS

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Ok folks, after being lost twice this year, I've decided I need a GPS. I believe a hand held is the right term for what I want.
I want a unit that can comes with or can download lots of road maps. I want interstates and detailed road maps of certain areas. I also want the GPS unit to be portable so I can use it for treks into the woods. A few weeks back, I was with two friends, we traveled on our ATV's 25 miles into a state forest and had a hard time finding our way back as darkness approached. The roads we traveled do not show up on maps so I want to be able to log a start point and way points. I then want the unit to point the direction for the return trip.

I'm not sure if such a unit exists, any advice would be helpful.

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS #2  
How much do you want to spend? Garmin makes a nice unit, the 2720, that will do what you want. Here is a link to site that sells several models. Link

Rereading your post I don't believe the 2720 would do for a handheld GPS. Sorry, the brain is on idle on this cold blustery day.

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS #3  
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista that I like. It has an altimeter and compass and reads to 0.1mph.
It's got 24MB of storage as I recall.
Don't get your hopes up in the woods ... they don't work when they don't get a clear shot of the sky.
Cheers!

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS #4  
Hi, I had absolutely no experience with GPS until this past August when I decided to buy one for our September vacation. I did some internet searching and decided on a Garmin Quest 2. With minimal time spent with the manual, maybe 1hr, this unit, right out of the box, took us from eastern Massachusetts to western South Dakota without one wrong turn. It comes preloaded with North America and has much memory to load ocean charts or topographical maps for cross country.
I also bought the external antenna about $25 which allowed me to place the unit above my rearview mirror to keep it out of the way.
PM me If you would like more info

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS #5  
Try Forestry Suppliers for GPS units used in the 'woods' and a new product they carry "Garmin Quest". It may give you some good ideas of where to look further.

I have Microsoft Streets and Trips in my car, working off a laptop. I find it VERY good and easy to use. Updates regularly, including construction sites. Not exactly what you want in the way of portability, but is an option for field use. Cheap at $130 for software AND the GPS unit for the dash.
Also, all the states are included so one doesn't have to pay for "just three states" of which only one might be of interest.
(that doesn't include the laptop, however /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS #6  
Jerry,

For about two years I had a Garmin Vista. Loved it. Used in on my ATV, for traveling and geocaching. About a year ago I upgraded to a Garmin GPSMap60CS. I love it. I use for all the things I use to and now use it for traveling. The autorouting feature is great. To get all the benifits of auto-routing you need to buy Garmins City Select North America. It has a color screen and you can hold 56 meg of memory for maps. Gives you about three states. But you can move them and put others on. Good page to go is www.geocaching.com. There is a forum there and you can ask all kinds of questions. But the Map60CS is a great all around unit. You can save some money and get the c version also.

Check pricing on www.gpsnow.com, www.gpstiger.com, www.gpsdiscount.com and there is others out ther also. Any questions just hollor.

Also Magellan makes some good units also. Check them out too.

murph

ps: I still store my bucket upside down /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS #7  
I have had Garmin GPS V for two years now and it is great. Very good GPS for off roading on ATV's, Dirt Bikes and Snowmobiles. It doesn't hold as many maps as some, I can get about half of lower Michigan in mine. Have to download from laptop to ad new maps.

Check out this web site:

http://www.cycoactive.com/

I bought the Tourtech mount and combined it with a ram mount as shown on the web site.

ksmmoto

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS
Thanks, I'll research the models that were mentioned and check the web sites mentioned. Also, the forest trails we travel are abut 12 ft wide, so I do get line of sight to the sky.

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS #9  
Check out Magellan SporTrak. It's may be what you are looking for.

/ Please recommend a hand held GPS #10  
I have a Garman ETrex legend and love it. Its accurate, has mapping, and is small enough to put in your pocket.
A GPS is something that I wanted for some time to use while sailing or just riding around in the truck. About a year ago I read a post on here about Geocacheing. It sounded interesting so I borrowed a GPS from a friend and gave it a try. I was hooked and decided to get my own GPS at that time. Its like when I finally bought my air compressor for home, I did not know how I did without it for so long. I use my GPS daily and would be lost without one. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif