Storage building

/ Storage building #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters:

This past summer, I asked about a storage building for my tractor. I mentioned that I had heard of Morton buildings, but knew very little about them. This post was answered and started a lengthy thread about the pro's and con's of Morton specific buildings. As of yet, I have not started on my building project (twin babies in July) but I am seriously looking at the project now and have a few questions. First, I do not need anything fancy. I would like for it to have a nice external appearance, and closely match our home's siding. It needs to be long enough to house my large frame compact John Deere and Gator and attachments, so I feel I could do OK with a building as small as 18 x 24. I do not need heat, but would like lights. It must be "tight" as we live in the woods, and I would like wildlife to stay out of it. Also, I am concerned at this point I will have to wait until spring to build, as we are getting below freezing often (is this truly the case with the concrete?) Any thoughts? I mention Morton only because at my location, not many "chain" builders exist, so I would need to go with that or with a prefab that is delivered or with a local builder, most of whom are nearly one year behind. My neighbor, a retired NFL player, just built a home near us and a Morton kennel for the dogs he raises. His caretaker says that he wished Morton did everything, as he had much less problem with that building than the building of the home itself. I am not enamored with any brand, but I want suggestions about the best and easiest way to tackle this project. Finally, I realize that geographic differences account for pricing, but about how much would I expect to pay for a building the size mentioned with limited features? Thanks for the help.

John M

/ Storage building #2  
Here's my take on Morton buildings. They're nice, but you're paying for a middleman, hence more cost than if you did it yourself, or even paid a local. I've built many pole structures, and it's pretty easy! You can match the siding on your other buildings if you want, or if you don't want to. A pole structure is a good project for the first timer. There are many good instructionals out there, just go to some place like Lowes or Home Depot, and look in their book section. You could go along way by NOT having Morton do it for you! The bucks you can save could be used for your lights, concrete floor. etc. Never been to NC this time of year, but pouring concrete in your holes for a pole building footers shouldn't be a problem yet this time of year. Concrete when it cures releases heat, and being 36" down in this area, I've yet to have bad concrete. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Storage building #3  
I stick built my 12x24 bldg with garage door 3/4 plywood floor.The floor is very strong . I've had my 6000+lb. truck in the blg with no problems. I went to lowe's & told them to work me up a materal & price to build the bldg.I then priced a portable metal bldg.I then took lowe's price to home depot & got a price match + another 10% off the material.I built this bldg better & stronger than the portable blg. for less money. Portable bldg with a floor strong enough to hold my truck was going to cost 4500.00 the bldg I built 2800.00.

/ Storage building #4  
Morton builds a good building, but I feel that you pay for the name. We have a local contractor that is about to run Morton out of this area. Their buildings are about half the price of Mortons. I compared the 2 when I built mine last summer and their was basicly no differance except price. I decided to buy just the kit from my local guy and saved even more money by putting it together my self. I built a 30x40x10 for 6,700 no concrete. concrete will be around 3,500.

/ Storage building #5  
John, one decision you need to make is, do you need someone else to build it, or can you do it yourself? I had a polebarn erected for me last year by National Barn in Portland, Tn. they also serice your area. My need was larger than yours, but here is what I got. A 30x50x10 pole barn, with 30' of ridge vent, 1 man door and 1 12' slider. the complete installed price was $8900.00 ( They has a 4 man crew that did the job in 3 days) I did the concrete floor this past spring. I did the leveling and spread the stone base, plus laid the vapor barrier. I then hired a local concerete finisher. My cost for the floor was $26025.00 It is a 5" floor. The finisher charged $600 and the 22.5 yards of 4500 psi w/ fibrement was $2025.00. This all included tax.
National Barn offers a variety of sizes and they will even sell you a material kit if you wish to do it yourself. They are on the web www.nationalbarn.com. Just another option to consider.

Attachments

• 775016-MVC_192F.JPG
    775016-MVC_192F.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 243
   / Storage building #6  
John, I will be in the same situation next year after we complete our house. I have looked at Morton and they are nice buildings.

The national barn site posted by Harleymsn looks very good also and I plan on getting information from them.

The is a builder in Arden,NC that builds Ceco buildings, they have Agri type buildings. I know nothing about them but you can check them out at www.cecobuildings.com. If you click on the builders icon and then NC they have several dealers in NC.

If you are worried about the temp this time of year you may be able to have the building erected and then have the floor poured in the spring.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

/ Storage building #7  
"My cost for the floor was $26025.00 It is a 5" floor. The finisher charged $600 and the 22.5 yards of 4500 psi w/ fibrement was $2025.00."

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifThanks for the breakdown, my jaw had dropped at the 26000 number. I was interested in just how you racked up this bill other than being a sucker. Turns out you got a great deal.

/ Storage building #8  
Morton can do homes. I saw a three building setup, barn, shop/garage, home, in Iowa and our local Morton office, SE WI, showed us some house plans.

/ Storage building #9  
opps my typo error it should have read $2625.00

/ Storage building #10  
midlf, I didn't mention it i this thread because it didn't seem pertinent to the original question....but I am in fact just in the final stages of completeing the transition of this pole barn into a home. If you check country by net I have several photos of my "home'.
I decided to build another pole barn to replace this one and considered doing it myself... tonight the wife said.."No, we better call National Barn again"