Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do????

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #1  

arthr31

Platinum Member
Tractor
3 Yanmars
Hi,

As of today, I'm faced with a minimum 2000.00 repair to my truck. I'm not sure I can take spending too much (this much) more on this vehicle. Here's some background:

1. Bought current truck, used in early May, this year with 96,000 miles. Truck is a 1998 Dodge RAM 2500 with Cummins Diesel, pretty much stock vehicle. Super Cab, short bed, 4x4, etc.

2. I've put about 7000 miles in the seven months of I've owned the truck...

3. Over these months I've spent about 2000.00 on up keep / repair, this included:
- new fan clutch
- new fluids and filters all around
- misc lights, etc.
- (as of last week) 2 new interstate batteries
- (as of last week) new traction bar for front-end

So, here's what happened. About a week ago I brought the truck to a shop I haven't dealt with before, but I did know a mechanic there from having worked together almost 20 years ago... I brought the truck there for an alignment, tire rotate, replace exhaust, and check front-end for vague steering. They found the following wrong:
- truck wouldn't start, one battery tested poorly (but, why did the thing start every day for me, but not for them?)
- traction bar worn out
- front-hub axle nut/stub, bearings, u-joint, etc damaged from someone making a bad repair, all need to be replaced.
So, i asked, in order of severity, what needs to be worked on first. Answer, tracking bar, I went ahead with that and the new batteries. The mechanic said that the other work should be done, but it should be okay in the short-term...

So, I picked the truck up on Tuesday night (last week), drove it wednesday and then again on friday. On friday, about 5 miles down the road the wheel almost fell off, was kept on by the brake caliper but chewed up the brakes... (which is annoying 'cause it had new pads and rotors in May)

I had the truck towed to the same repair shop. Today they tell me that the axle work etc will be at least 2k and i might also be looking at brakes...

The owner of the repair shop advised me to just get rid of the truck, said that the cummins is not that good and the dodge trucks start to fall apart after 100K. All of this kinda goes against what I've read and talked about with other ppl (granted this shop doesn't repair diesels (why'd I bring it there, wanted an alignment...)).

Also, not included here is that the exhaust/muffler needs to be repaired, this'll be at least 3-400...

What to do? Should I dump the truck or repair? Does this truck really just fall apart after these many miles? Should I take it to another shop (tow) since these guys don't like diesel anyway? What would you do?

I'm not sure I really even need a diesel, i pull stuff (tractor (about 2000 lbs) every few months at best, haul landscape materials, firewood, etc... But, I do like the truck and it hasn't given much trouble before this...

Sorry for the long post, I'm pretty distraught about this and wasn't even thinking about replacing this vehicle before this... When i got this truck i thought i'd keep it probably about 10 years, not seven months... but i'm kinda outta money to keep dumping!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif -art

p.s. kinda irritating experience with this repair shop- i told the owner this AM i was pretty frustrated since i brought the truck there for two basic things (alignment and replace exhaust) and now 600 or maybe 2600.00 later i still haven't done what i originally brought it there for... the guy said, well, what do you want me to do about it, your truck has problems! I guess empathy isn't a strong side to the guy......

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #2  
I would take the truck to another shop just based on how the owner is acting towards you....some empathy is required to keep my business, especially in a situation like this one.

So you took it there to get an alignment and then all these problems developed?

If the front wheel fell off, the axle nut must have come loose...unless something else broke, right? I don't want to point fingers, but the last folks to touch it were these guys..

Anyhow, take it someplace else and have it fixed. These guys don't seem to want your business anyhow.

I have a 2003 3/4 ton Dodge with the Cummins engine in it, we only have 69k miles but haven't had any problems at all with it except for a driveshaft replaced under warranty. From what I have read these trucks have the potential to last for several hundred thousand miles. See the www.turbodieselregister.com website for more info from other Dodge Cummins owners.

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #3  
Look at it from 2 sides...a new truck these days costs an arm and leg. Repairs are not cheap either. I am guessing the truck is paid for...if so, fix it b/c that is better than a note any day. If you owe money on it, get rid of it and get a cheaper truck. I had a brand new F250 diesel XLT about a year ago. Awesome truck...but unnecessary. NOTHING I own weighs more than 5K lbs. That includes tractors and the 3 horse trailer loaded w/ 3 horses. I traded it in when diesel prices reached their current ridiculous levels. Between note, fuel and insurance, it cost me 1K a month to drive it. My note was only 500/mo., insurance about 120/mo. and fuel the rest. You can fix your truck for about what you would dump in a new one in about 3 months. I traded mine in and bought a nice, used F150 and cut my note in over half and the same w/ fuel costs. Hope I helped some. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do????
These guys claimed that the axle nut was stripped and was "jammed" on by someone else..

after they were done with it, the nut was definitely loose and sheared the cotter pin that threads thru the axle nut and axle stub....

I'm thinking about moving it to another shop, but then when i look at the price of a new truck, 25K for a new f-250, i gotta think, 'what am i doing!!!???'

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #5  
I don't know for sure what I'd do with the truck, but for sure I would take it to another shop that likes Dodge's and diesels better than these old boys. It's just human nature to do a better job on a piece of equipment you believe in.

Good luck with it.

Tom

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do????
Thanks for the replies, guys. I own the truck, insurance is about 70/month and fuel is neglible since i drive about 150/180 miles a week usually.... i was thinking i could get a new f-150/250 for about 25k, but that might not be totally realistic... and, i hate taking a bath by just getting rid of the current truck..

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #7  
Find a different shop, it is aparant this guy just wants to gouge you and doesn't care for diesel products. Cummins is a great motor, it's nothing for the basic motor to reach 300,000 miles without major work.
96.000 miles and all these problems sounds like it has had a hard life.
I would fix the ft. end problems first then exhaust.
Just remember it's cheaper to fix these problems that to buy a new truck.

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #8  
Art,
Sorry for the luck...... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My recomendation, even though I'm a Ford guy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, is for you to keep the truck and fix it. The Cummins engine is tried and true and has proven to be reliable for several hundred thousand miles if taken care of(emphisis on care). Since you have owned the truck for 7mo and gotten used to it and been able to pick it apart, I'll assume its a decent truck overall.

Being that you live in the rust belt, the exhaust is a given. Its going to rust. An added cost you have already accepted.

The front end stuff, well, thats not good. The shop you took it to should have never let you leave if the spindle was stripped. That could be a legal issue, totally dependant on your conversation about it. You could have been killed.

I would without a doubt take it to another shop for an opinion. As long as you are mechanicaly inclined, you could probably find used parts at a junkyard or on eBay for a reasonable price transfer the parts you need. Another shop may be able to do this for you too if you arent comfortable with it.

Sounds like that shop took advantage of you. Did you tick this guy off when you worked with him? Sorry, had to ask... Good luck with it, once you get this righ tyou'll like not having payments.. I prefer a Ford truck but you wont get a comperable new one for $25k, plus it would be $500mo for 5yrs, in most cases... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( front-hub axle nut/stub, bearings, u-joint, etc damaged from someone making a bad repair, all need to be replaced )</font> <font color="blue"> </font>

Art, Man I feel your pain. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif This repair facility can't be worth a hoot if they are telling you that this front hub can wait /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif If they inspected it thoroughly which they said they did, and then said it can wait, /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Well you experienced what happens when your hub nuts are stripped "UNBELIEVABLE"

Find a new repair shop that has a good rep. or even specializes in these trucks.... Keep the truck if you like it and don't mind the price of diesel, Those cummins engines will run,run & run providing the trans is kept in good working order /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you decide to sell it , you still have to fix it to get rid of it..

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #10  
Not even diehard Ford guys will tell you a Cummins is a lousy engine, I've got 170K on my 97, the only trouble I've ever had was fifth gear backing off the shaft, I fixed that with a 6 speed. Anybody that tells you a track bar is more important than the nut holding your wheel on is a goofball, I wouldn't let them change my oil, much less work on anything. Go to the TDR website, lots of info there and some leads on an honest shop.