Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof?

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #21  
in this area, the prices people get quoted for metal over shingle roofing, is outrageous: we had our daughters house stripped and reshingled last year: we are talkin about a 1200sq ft house with 4x12 pitch: they wanted over twice the amount to put metal over the shingles than to tear off the shingles and put new ones: they did the job in less than a day.
the day they where suppose to do the job, i waited there till about 10:00am: and they hadn't showed: the next morning i went over and it was done: i told the guy he needed to work a little slower: for the price, we should have gotten at least 2 maybe 3 days of labor.
heehaw

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #22  
two thoughts: Do you have a homeowners association to contend with? Metal roofs are very fire resistant but don't put the metal roof directly on the old shingles. If you have a fire your house will probably be a total loss.

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( its kind of noisy when it rains hard."

I kinda like listening to the sound of the rain.. sounds like nap-time music to me! )</font> <font color="blue"> </font>

Thats TRUE TRUE, Its the same thing as sleeping near the ocean with that constant sssshhhh sssshhhh sssshhhh ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #24  
I put a metal roof on my home and workshop from Mueller Inc. My girlfriend and I did it ourselves. It took two days to put it up and a couple more to finish off the trim and screw in all the screws, but those days were spread out over months cause I get distracted easily. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think it was close to 27 squares that we did. I never compared the price to shingles since I wanted a green metal roof.

As for the noise from the rain. In my workshop where there is no insulation, it's quite loud!! In the house where I have six inches of insulation, you can't hear a thing. In fact, last night it was raining, but we had to open the door to the garage to hear it. We couldn't tell by listening inside the house. Of course, when it's raining really hard, we can hear it then, but that's true with shingle roofs too.

Eddie

Attachments

• 784864-s pics03 301 (Small).jpg
    784864-s pics03 301 (Small).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 258
   / Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #25  
Hey, nice job.

I find working with metal a little eaiser to work with than tiles.

Just me.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #26  
did you put the metal straight over the shingles??
heehaw

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #27  
A couple three questions for anyone with a metal roof...

Can you walk on it without damageing the metal? I have to clean out gutters 2 or 3 times a yr and I usually just walk around on the roof and blow 'em out with a blower. Is this still possible on a metal roof?

How well do metal roofs seal around valleys where two roofs meet? Do they use metal valleys to join a hip roof to the main roof?

I've heard where some contractors nail down furrow strips over shingles then attach the metal to the furrow strips. Is this SOP? It would seem to provide better insulation this way.

Thanks
Volfandt

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #29  
It seems the experiences here are compared to where they live at. I get no hail in New York and the only reason I went with shingles vs metal was the noise factor.

I still wish I had a metal roof because the winds blow here all the time. Replacing shingles gets old. But once they tack down they really harden up.

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A couple three questions for anyone with a metal roof...

Can you walk on it without damageing the metal? I have to clean out gutters 2 or 3 times a yr and I usually just walk around on the roof and blow 'em out with a blower. Is this still possible on a metal roof?
)</font>

My metal roof has a 4 in 12 pitch. I have no problem walking on it, but you have to have white soled sneakers, and it makes a huge difference on how clean the roof it too. If the roof is wet, it's a slide. No way to walk on it.

Sorry I can't answer your other questions. I've only installed metal roofs without valleys and I've never put one on over an existing shingle roof.

Eddie