Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof?

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
New "old" house, can you tell I'm spending money?

Need a new roof. Looking at shingle or metal.

How much can you expect to spend for a metal roof over shingle?

Just looking for some feedback from past experiences.

Don't have time to do it myself (wish I would!).

Thks

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #2  
Sigarms, I am in the process of building our own home by myself and I also looked at metal versus shingles. Good standing seam metal roof will cost at least double the cost of shingles if not triple if you have it installed by a reputable company. I figured since we are way out in the boonies that there would be peace of mind and cost of insurance savings if the house were essentially fire proof since the nearest fire plug is 6 miles away and the nearest fire department is closer to 10 miles. The exact opposite is true. Heres the kicker at least as far as USAA insurance is concerned they charge a substantial premium for metal because of the expense of replacing it for hail and other cosmetic damage where a hail rated shingle would not have to be replaced. They will insure it without the premium charge if you are willing to sign a waiver that says that no matter how bad it looks if it doesn't leak they don't have to repair or replace it. I still haven't decided which way to go but I'll probably go with the hail rated shingles because I can here my honey now when a tree limb or something puts a big dent in my new metal roof and we have to pay to fix it because we signed the waiver to save hundreds of dollars a year in insurance.
Steve

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #3  
standing seam metal will last a 100 years if maintained correctly... cost a bit more to install but will only be maintained by your grandkids.

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #4  
I think it was 1985 that I put on my first metal roof, for a 24x40 shop building. Then in 1989 I put metal roofing over shingles on my house.
After that I re-roofed my dad’s house with metal over shingles. Then a friend’s commercial building and his house. After a divorce and getting into another house/marriage down the road, I bought a house built in 1905 with a 12/12 pitch roof and recovered it with metal over shingles.
After a couple of years I had lost my wife in a car accident. Eventually I remarried and ended up in Louisiana. Built a 24x40 shop with drop-sheds on all four sides, with metal roofing. Last year we had a hailstorm and were paid for replacement of the shingle roof on the house. The metal on the shop wasn’t damaged. With the insurance check I bought the metal to roof the house and have enough left to pay for the 1x4 lathing over the existing shingles. Because of my wife’s current health problems I haven’t been able to install it yet, but it’s not leaking...
A metal roof is faster to install and if put on properly should outlast you. The house that I roofed in 1989 has some fading in the color of the paint, but no screws backing out, no leaks, and no rust. All the jobs that I’ve done other than the house in 1989 were 29 guage galvalume sheeting. The 1989 job was 26 guage. None of the other roofs had any leaks or problems that I’m aware of.
The original shingle roof on the 1989 house was a “20-year” shingle job that lasted 13 years.

I would encourage you to do it yourself if at all possible. Seems like from what I’ve seen that most roofers really overcharge on metal perhaps because most of them aren’t familiar with the product. It’s not rocket science, and I’d be glad to offer advice. PM if you need to and I’ll respond.

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #5  
My next roof will be metal. We don't get hail here like stevenf indicated but I've seen tree limbs hit a few and no noticible damage. Not real big limbs but a real big limb would damage a shingle roof as well.

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #6  
Cost ain't everything, one ot the most delightful times of life is sittin' on the porch listenin' to a gentle rain on a tin roof. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #7  
I'm just in the process of putting a roof on my new porch. I had already decided to do steel, to match my house roof, but just out of curiosity I decided to compare the cost of steel vs, the hail resistand shingles. The roof is 9 x 88 792 sq ft (8 sqs)
so this is how the cost break down, shingles $432.00, #1 29ga painted galvalume (30 yr warranty) $519.00 or #2 29 ga painted galvalume (seconds, no warranty) $371.00.
I went with the #2 and did the first 1/3 of the roof yesterday. The only thing I could find between the #1 and the #2 was that a few of the #2's were cut out of square by less than 1/8". As for the insurance, I have state farm and they do give a discount for the steel roof. The fella doing the rating said that hail damage to the steel is minimal as opposed to the shingles. Of course the whole outside of the house is steel and they had to take a few days to figure that one out, local agent had never seen that before....another discount! And yes, I am like you Stevenf, the nearest hydrant is 12 miles, nearest fire station is 15 miles.

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #8  
Hi sigarms,

I just put a 24 gauge standing seam on the business last year, and it is fantastic... makes a little noise in 30-70 mph wind is the only drawback.

Also, factor in the cost of removing old shingles; on an old house that might need to be done--I figured asbestos abatement costs alone (if it was there(?)) justified the purchase... it did cost about twice as much when all factors were considered... shop around though, there is a huge range in what outfits charge, so much so, I upgraded to the heaviest gauge and still was significantly below other quotes.

Maintenance free; cooler in the summer; warmer in the winter; completely locked together; sheds the snow; seagulls like it less too!

I'll never (I hope) have to touch it in my lifetime.

Good luck

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #9  
How old is your new "old" house? Does it have metal now?

We hope to be in the process of re-roofing our 1900-1920 farm house, and will suck it up and go metal. Looking at the tin in place is all one has to see for making up ones mind. The metal roof is, IMHO, a much more durable and sound product than the shingles. The only reason we are re-roofing is because we are "adding" on and require a new roof to cover the "addition".

Good luck with your "project".

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #10  
i live about 30 miles up the road from stevenf and metal roofs are very common here, especially on high end country style homes. i have had metal roofs on homes for over 20 years and never had one problem. been thru some bad hail storms and no damage, just knocked the dust off. state farm does give a discount on metal with additional discount for cosmetic exclusion. metal is the only way to fly (IMHO)........ /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif