Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove?????????

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove????????? #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
If so, how do you know when you have shaken down the stove enough? How do you know when you have enough air going into the stove?

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove????????? #2  
Hi Jim,
Burning with coal takes a bit of trial and failure. I have always found that the best way to get a coal fire going is to get a good wood fire going first and get a good base of coals. Start adding coal a little at a time until you have a base of coals started and then add more coal banking the coal higher in the rear of the stove, sloping towards the front. You should have two air intakes, the primary on the bottom by the ash door and the secondary air inlet on the top or fuel door. Air adjustment can be tricky, all depending on chimney draft conditions. That may be your trial and error window! I can burn wood or coal in my stove, as most stoves are arranged that way. Obviously, a good draft is important to get a good hot fire and burn off the coal gasses and have them vented out of your chimney properly. With all that said, I prefer burning wood because I find coal to be on the messey side, spelled ( dust). Coal, when burned properly, will give a huge amount of heat and will burn much longer without tending the stove. When I burn coal, I usually only tend the stove twice a day. When shaking the grates, the most important thing is to not loose all your fire into your dust collection pan, because if you do, you will need to start from scratch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hope this helps some /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

scotty

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove????????? #3  
As a kid growing up in Pennsylvania, I remember hearing that shaking sound (banging) eminating from the cellar(basement now-a-days) while my "PAP" was shaking down the coal furnace... He worked in the coal mines in Pa. for many many years, He was a hard worker and a kind man as I fondly remember him, He's been gone since 1977 and this post brought back the memory of that shaking sound along with thoughts of my Family /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for letting me reminisce for a moment... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sorry that I can't directly be of any help... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove????????? #4  
I had heated for a number of years with a coal stove, before moving to a new house.

As far as shaking the grate, it is simply a matter of being sure to get the ask ans clikner out of the base of the burning coal, otherwise it will eventually smother the fire. If I recall I would shake it until I saw hot coals starting to fall through the grate.

As for air needed, enough to keep the fire going. As was stated, it takes a bit of experience to get a good hot fire going. In the beginning I remember many misstarts, where I thought it was going, but it died out. I thought not enough air, and other problems. The issue is that you need an area of coal hot and large enough to get it going. I used to use cut up pieces of scrap 2x4, cut to .5" to 1" sticks. Get a hot fire and add coal. If you still have trouble, try match light charcoal briquets. Get them good and glowing and slowly add coal.

paul

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove????????? #5  
Mornin Mark,
Glad we brought back some memories /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Coal workers have my respect, thats gotta be one tough job! I remember my great grandmother goin down into the cellar to tend a giant pot bellied coal stove, it seemed like a monster to me at 5 years old /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove?????????
Thanks for the tips guys. I have no problem lighting the coal as I build a wood fire first. My stove has 4 passageways in the corner bricks which have me confused a bit. The flames come up thru the bricks. I guess the other thing is to open the secondary air door which I keep closed. The ash thing was my main concern. So I will shake it till the red hots start to fall out. The stove seems to work great once it is going. I know it burns a whole day without reloading. Even then it doesn't need a full fill. This unit is a top loader and can hold about 40-50 pounds of coal. I better get over there to open up the top door a bit. I never pass up a free stove when I have over a ton of left over coal in the old farm to use up.

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove????????? #7  
I'm a newbie with coal also. The house I bought this summer has a Harman Mark 3, hand fired stove. I have been running it for 7 days straight now, and trying to learn this art of burning coal! I think I get into trouble letting the fire go too long without adding coal, and it starts to get low, and I have a hard time getting it back good and hot. I have resorted to adding a couple small pieces of hardwood to try to restart the fire,, and once it gets going, slowly add coal until everything is burning.
The draft part is understandable, but between shaking, and a low fire, I find myself trying to poke holes thru the grates to create more airflow. It looks as if maybe I am shaking too much, and as long as the fire is good and hot, the air will come thru.
I had some questions about operation also... mainly what is a proper temperature to run the stove at? there is a thermometer on the stack, about 18" above the stove, and I find when it drops under 200, i'm in trouble. When it's 300 or so, things seem very nice, nice heat, but obviously coal usage is higher.
I also find myself leaving the bottom ash door open, during reload or to try to bump the temp before reloading, and this morning I left it open too long and she took off good.. up over 500... how dangerous is this? The stove pipe goes directly into a newer masonry chimney that is in very good condition.

Thanks for the info to date!
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove????????? #8  
Hi Dutch,
You really dont want to poke holes through your burning coal bed, by doing this you are actually fusing the coal together or causing clinkers and actually preventing air flow through the coal bed. As far as the 500 F temp, should not be a problem with proper fire clay thimble going through block wall construction to your flue. Your pipe can take much more heat than that. I have had creosete in the stovepipe light and have had the stovepipe glowing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The wife didnty see the humor and certainly not advisable, but that pipe will take a lot /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

scotty

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove????????? #9  
Ok,
so I won't Poke anymore!
what about shaking?
I have read conflicting reports.
this stove has the grates that rotate for and aft when you
move the lever..
Some people say to use short, quick, shakes,,
a dealer said to rock it back and forth slowly,
what's the best technique?

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Does anyone heat with a Coal Stove????????? #10  
Dutch,
Different shakes for different folks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif All kidding aside, there are many different types of shaker grates, all basically doin the same thing. I use short and quick shakes on my stove, and seems to work OK. A lot of this depends on what size coal your using and the inherent design features of your particular grate. I think your probablly getting my drift /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif In my stove Im using nut size coal and this technique works for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Like I said in a previous post, some trial and error is inevitable /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I hope I have helped some!!

scotty