Fried Apple Pies

/ Fried Apple Pies #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Livermush does not taste like it sounds )</font>

Thank goodness for that! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I found a recipe on the Internet and it sounds as bad as the name. But the first time I ever heard of "blackened redfish" and how you fixed it, I thought that couldn't be fit to eat, but I had to try it and found that I love it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Fried Apple Pies #12  
hunterridgefarm,you tell'em all our secrets and we'll never get rid ofum /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ps let me know when they are ready and I'll send you my addy.we didn't get to dry any apples this.

/ Fried Apple Pies #13  
Livermush???? Reading the recipe, it sounds like a walking heat-attack causer. Of course, the same could be said the the scrapple that I love (having grown up in Amish country).

/ Fried Apple Pies #14  
"a walking heat-attack causer"

Almost anything referred to as a heart attack causer is probably pretty dang tasty and worth a try. Nice fat porterhouse steak, BK whoppers, butter, bacon, ice cream, etc. All pretty much terrible for my health but I wouldn't miss them for the world.

/ Fried Apple Pies #15  
Truely, there is nothing finer than a fried apple pie... Peach too...

Best are obivously homemade, but there's an old school donut shop on the east side of my town that makes a mean fried apple pie. Batten's Donuts. There's a frier visable behind the counter that looks like a wading pool. Usually, a middle aged lady is tending some donuts or other goodie with nothing fancier than a wooden stick. They come by the piece or by the dozen. Dripping with sugar and a little grease....

This thread brought some mighty fine memories... Just thought I would share.

/ Fried Apple Pies #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Livermush???? Reading the recipe, it sounds like a walking heat-attack causer. Of course, the same could be said the the scrapple that I love (having grown up in Amish country). )</font>

I read a bit about it, and it does sound very much like scrapple. Now you're making me hungry. Scrapple sliced about 3/8" thick and fried so it's crisp on the outside, fried taters and sunnyside-up eggs. Yep, I'm ready for breakfast............chim

/ Fried Apple Pies #17  
I really like the caramel apple empanada they now have at Taco Bell. I may be wrong, but I think they are deep fried. They remind me a lot of the Hostess pies I ate as a kid......but hot. Far better than the McDonald's pie.

Jeff

/ Fried Apple Pies #18  
now all we need is a good recipie /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't think they would SHIP very well so I guess you just have to send the list & instructions..
mark
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Fried Apple Pies #19  
Bird
Next time your heading North on I-35, stop in Gainesville at the Fried Pie Company, they are excellent (202 W Main St
Gainesville, TX 76240 940-665-7641)!

The Best Fried Pies in Texas - therefore the World Dec 28th, 2004:

"Do yourself a favor and and exit California Street the next time you pass through Gainesville, Texas. You will come back for more. Excellent fried pies, hot out of the fryer if you time your visit properly. Phone ahead because it's sort of a first come, first serve affair - once they run out for the day they run out for the day. Take home a dozen or two and amaze your friends and family."

/ Fried Apple Pies #20  
Marty, I haven't gotten up that way in quite awhile now, but I'll have to try to remember that. It's been many years ago (20-25), but I used to occasionally stop at Mother's Pie Co. in Dallas to see if they had any "seconds" and they always did. That's the ones that didn't turn out looking exactly as they wished, and I'd get a box of 2 dozen for a dollar. For a fellow like me who likes all of them, that was great, and they were top quality fried pies. The only thing was that you had no idea what flavors you were getting until you bit into one or broke it it two; peach, apricot, cherry, apple, pineapple, chocolate or lemon. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif