Fried Apple Pies

/ Fried Apple Pies #21  
"a walking heat-attack causer"

A number of years ago, when he was still alive, I took my dad, and his cardiac problems, out for lunch. He had a bacon swiss butter burger. I asked him what his cardiologist would think of that. He replied "I'm not gonna tell him. I figure it will shorten my life by the same amount of time it takes me to eat it, and it sure is good."

He also hated ambulances and fuss and said: "If I'm having a heart attack I'd rather die than have you call 911." I said: "That's how it works."

/ Fried Apple Pies
Fried Apple Pies

1/2 pound dried apples
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 stick margarine
1 8-piece package of Grands butter flaky biscuits

Cover apples with water, add sugar and margarine and cook until soft.
Let cool.
Roll biscuts out on a lightly floured surface so that each biscuit forms a 7 or 8 inch circle.
Place 2-3 tablespoons of apples on biscuit.
Brush the edges of the circle with water.
Fold the circle over the filling to make a half-moon shape.
Seal by pressing the edges with the tines of a fork.

Heat a deep fryer filled with several inches of oil to 350 degrees F.

Carefully add pies to the oil, 1 at a time and fry until golden brown, turning the pies for even browning, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Drain on paper towels.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately.

(Optional: May add apple pie spices to filling to suit your taste while cookin apples)

This is the current recipe my wife uses. The dried apples make the best fried pies. You can use fresh cooked apples but the dried are the best.

The butter biscuits (not buttermilk) are the best to use as the dough. She has in the past used her on recipe for the dough but the Grands butter biscuits (that little fat doughboy guy)are excellent for fried pies.
These things are great right out of the frier, wounderful at room temperture, excellent cold.
My mother-in-law makes hers the old fasion way in a frying pan (just in case you don't have a deep frier).

Try it and let me know how they turned out.

P.S. Don't forget to add ice cream while there hot.

Also 1/2 lb of apples makes about 16 pies.

/ Fried Apple Pies #23  
That sounds just like what my brother-in-law and his wife made recently, but with these exceptions:
1. Instead of brushing the edges of the circle with water, they used a beaten egg,
2. I don't know which canned biscuits they used; they certainly weren't bad, but it wasn't a flaky crust,
3. They have their own apple trees and used apples they'd frozen instead of dried apples.
I guess we're going to have to try it with the Grands flaky biscuits.

/ Fried Apple Pies #24  
You asked about some unique regional foods. Well there's one thing I crave that I've only seen in German butcher shops in PA: ham loaf.

Its like meat loaf but made with ham and sometimes has some pineapple juice added. Its sweet and salty and appeals to all the senses. And its a great base for all those relishes people give you (like zuchinni relish) that you don't know what to do with.

Great for dinner and then sliced and pan-grilled with eggs for breakfast. Yum.

Hey, you know the trouble with German food? 48 hours later you're hungry again. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Fried Apple Pies #25  
Vanilla icecream on a hot apple pie is one of my main dee-serts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Course peach cobbler with said vanilla icecream tain't bad either /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I knew I'd get hungry reading this thread /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Volfandt

/ Fried Apple Pies #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are you tryin to tell me that there is such a things as a Fried Chocolate Pie?

Are ya?

)</font>

They sell them at the store, right next to the Teewurst!!!!

/ Fried Apple Pies #28  
Yep, Doug, they had chocolate fried pies; pretty good, too.

/ Fried Apple Pies #29  
Yep... they're still available in some places, primarily the South... My aunt used to make "fried butter pies" where the filling was sugar and fresh farm butter. The sugar would carmelize just a little while frying and the butter would make it gooey sweet....

That was before anyone thought about saturated fats... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pie_shurfresh.gif

pie_redemade.gif

/ Fried Apple Pies #30  
Just wanted to put out a big THANK YOU for the idea and recipe. I made some fried apple pies yesterday morning for breakfast and they were a RESOUNDING success. Everyone loved them (including me, who had 3 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Almost making my mouth water again just typing about them.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif