Fried Apple Pies

/ Fried Apple Pies #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
I work for an Aerospace Machining Company in NC. We have alot of machinist from the North work here, RI, MI, NH, and MA.
Of course over the years I have tried to educate them on some of the finer foods of the South; biscuts and gravy, livermush and eggs, etc. Won a few and lost a few.

My wife made some fried apple pies using dried apples last night. Since I was not on the road selling today I took a few to work. As usual none of my northern buddies had heard of nor tasted a Fried Apple Pie.

Now they are hooked, offered to pay me to bring more in. It was like they were tasting a slice of heaven. One guy even said they were so good it would make you slap your mama /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

So are there any foods unique to your area that could compare to a Fried Apple Pie?

/ Fried Apple Pies #2  
<font color="blue"> ( As usual none of my northern buddies had heard of nor tasted a Fried Apple Pie. ) </font>

Haven't these guys ever been to a McDonalds?

/ Fried Apple Pies
Yes, but they just get the super size and biggie fri. They refer to McDonalds pie as an apple tart. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

And besides there is absolutely no comparison between a McDonalds apple pie and a Southern Homemade "Fried Apple Pie". /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fried Apple Pies #4  
Of course to get a fried apple pie at McDonalds these days you have to go to either Europe or Asia. Either the health food nuts (you know - the kind that wouldn't eat there anyways) or the liability lawyers (remember the lawsuit over the coffee) made them stop selling the deep fried apple pies nearly twenty years ago. These days you can only get the baked pies in the states.

BTW - hunterridgefarm - please post your wife's recipe. I love those things. I make a point of stopping at a McDonalds whenever I travel overseas just to get one.

/ Fried Apple Pies #5  
Hunter, isn't it great to have a wife that knows how to cook...cag

/ Fried Apple Pies #6  
Speaking for new englanders.. if these guys are from old new england stock, it's not common to have fried food, other than chips, chicken and fish. I'd also be interested in the recipe... My head is interested, my belly is begging no /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fried Apple Pies #7  
Well, I had to go to google.com and read about livermush. I don't recall ever even hearing of it in the past. But I do love the fried pies. The problem is that I don't know how to make'em. It's been many years since I tried, but they always tended to fall apart when cooking. I assume you need a different recipe for the dough from what I used for regular pie crust. About 3 months ago, I had some fried pies that the cook made using canned biscuits for the dough; not bad, but not what I'd be looking for either.

/ Fried Apple Pies
I will get the recipe and post it. I just ate the last one so she should make more in the next couple days.

/ Fried Apple Pies
Bird,
Livermush does not taste like it sounds. It is served at some fast food places. You can eat it with eggs or as a fried livermush sandwich.

Of course you can deep fry cardboard and it will taste good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fried Apple Pies #10  
If there's a Krystal burger joint near by they have what they call apple turnovers, which are very much like the old McDonald's fried apple pie.