Your farm/ranch support you or do you support it?

/ Your farm/ranch support you or do you support it?
Highbeam, how long have you lived there? My mother lives there. My father is buried there. We bought the land back in 68, and moved there when my father retired from the Navy in 78. Out just before you get to the Longbranch store, there's a rock wall on the right side of the road. I built that back in '79... or was it in '80?

From where my mother lives, I can still hear I-5 from across the water. She lives about a mile or so from Penrose state park.

/ Your farm/ranch support you or do you support it? #12  
This is a little creepy. My land is just past Home and down Cornwall Rd to the west. Cornwall is the turnoff to Penrose as you know. I have only been past that intersection a couple of times towards Longbranch.

I have owned it for two years and turned about 6 acres of jungle into pasture and perimeter roads. It was logged and left to regen naturally about 30 years ago so it was a jungle. I've got septic and well installed and plan to put in for building permits within the next month. I just had 2 double loads of gravel brought in to resurface the driveway. I have a personal problem with seeing a house framed up in the winter soaked wet so we are waiting until May or so to start.

Anything you know that I should know? I get a kick out of some of the history out there.

Many of the roads out there had their names changed since I left. The road my mother lives on was Devil's Head Road at one time. That road you mentioned, that's the original name. If you're going down the Longbranch hwy from Home, and you take the second left, there's a Church on the left side just before you go down the hill. At one time, it caught fire and burnt to the ground. The community came together and rebuit it with donated material. Just before you go down the hill just after the church, look up. There's a mailbox about 15 feet up. It's for that's land owner's airmail. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif They're my mother's best friend. The grandmother was one of the original citizens in the area. She was born there, died there, and never went past Purdy. At the bottom of the hill, if you take a left, that marina was one of the original stops for the steamboat that delivered mail and groceries before Galloping Gurty was built. So was Home, the Longbranch Mercintile, and one other place on the other side of the penninsula. I was told by the steamboat captain's brother that the boat had a problem with the pressure release valve. The captain(spelled "operator/crew/captain") would have to hit it with a hammer to get it to release. One day, it wouldn't release so they jumped off in the middle of the Sound. Immidiately after they jumped, the valve released and the boat kept going westward. Because it was a paddelwheeler, it kept going into the flats until it dug in.

Down your road, Corwell, when you get to the stopsign, the road ahead used to go all the way through, but no-one used it until the trees overgrew the road. That was the only way out of the penninsula without going through Home. Home is the checkpoint that the police uses when the prisoners escape from McNeil Island. Usually, the locals know if a hitchhiker is a local or not. If not, they take them to the bar in Keycenter for drinks until the cops come.

Also on your road, there used to be a family of little people. Last name of Rusell. Good folks! They used to have a red three wheeled tractor that they used to putter around their farm with. (there! there's something about tractors in this thread! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

There used to be a civil war between Longbranch and Home that was held about where the Home bridge is. It was called the Whiskey war because there was several whiskey running and still places out in Longbranch. It was mostly throwing of bottles and siccing dogs on each other. It was called off when someone brought a shotgun to the fracus.

Speaking of whiskey, if you go down the Longbranch hwy until you come to the Longbranch cemetary, take a left right after it. There's an old house there that used to be the old post office barge. They pulled it up on shore and turned it into a house after they stopped making whiskey there. Yep! The post office used to run whiskey! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If you were to drive past the cemetary, there's an intersection that goes up and right. At that intersection is where I built the walls. Last time I was there, the owner was having several more walls built. Follow that road to the right to the end. At the end, there's a road that someone turned into a housing development. Down there used to be another place where a still was set up and whiskey was sent off by boat. It's known as Whskey beach.

There's several boat ramps in the area. One at Home, another at the Baylake marina, another at what used to be Kennedy park, but the state renamed it "Joemma rec area". There's another one out in Longbranch. That's the one where I discovered Toyotas don't float, but they will skip if you're doing 75 mph. It was dark and I thought I had one more hill to go over. It must not been too rough a ride because my friends in the back seat replied with opening another bottle of beer. It wasn't until their pants got wet that they decided to ask if the tide came in and climb on top of the car. As a teen, I wasn't too concerned; It was my brother's car and it started after we got it pulled out. I rinsed it out in the lake to prevent the salt water eating away at the metal. The next morning, my brother accused me of leaving the windows open because the inerior was wet. I accused him if spilling beer in my Camaro (I don't drink and he KNOWS how I feel about the smell!).

There's all sorts of storied about the area. Most are true. Like the nudist colony was true. It's long gone now, but it's a true tale. Oh! If you're fixing to bury anyone, the most inexpensive cemetary in the nation is down the road from Penrose. It's a Lutheran cemetary. My father is buried there. If I remember correctly, it was about $30 or $50 for the family plot. You have to maintain the plot yourself. Once in a while, someone will come through with a brushhog and cut things down. It seems those who can, take turns. Those who can't, don't have to worry. If you're interested in getting a plot ahead of time, let me know and I'll let you know who to contact. He's getting up in age, so you may want to jump on it asap.

/ Your farm/ranch support you or do you support it? #14  
Wow. That's great=, thanks for taking the time. Now I have to do a little exploring. I had read online about the cult like village of Home and now see some evidence of it in the styles and orientation of the homes and roads.

Ronald Russell is still the taxpayer on the old farmhouse along the north side of Cornwall Rd, just west of the highway. The folks living in the house are old and I've never seen them leave their easy chairs in front of the TV, are the old folks little as in really little? I'm guessing 70s in age. I toot my horn at them as I drive by with tractor in tow since they are one of the most likely places I will crawl if I get hurt out there plus I imagine they like that sort of thing. I also travel to their frontage to get excellent cell phone service. I own a chunk of what was apparently the original russell farm. As you continue west down cornwall you drive over a creek/ditch that was dug to drain an area towards palmer lake. That creek flows through my property but I like to call it a ditch to keep the fish people away. The penninsula drainage district still has easement rights to maintain that ditch.

At night, once the commuters get home, that penninsula gets very quiet and dark. I have only had one instance of a crook trying to steal stuff about a year ago. He couldn't figure out how to pawn my bulldozer so he left it. I worry about the stories of drug users, the meth heads and such but really haven't seen it.

One of the best things about that area is that there are no rocks. Just jab a shovel and in it goes. Topsoil, sand, or clay.

The old lady I bought the property from was named Eyrish. Her husband was Jack Eyrish. They were old and may have owned the place for quite some time.

Thanks again. Why not move out to your old stomping grounds? I'll even take a turn brush hogging the cemetery.

If I remember correctly, I think the son's name is Kurt. The father is normal size and the mother is "small" as in a dwarf. The youngest son is normal size and the other two sons are small. They're good people.

I really don't want to move out to my old stomping grounds because too many people know me. In my old age, I've become more a loner than when I was out there. I discovered I don't get along with people who haven't served their country in the military now-a-days. I don't mean like picking fights, but as in I don't understand their mindsets. Now-a-days, I'm contenteded to shoot my rifles, play with my tractor, and tear motherearth a new furrow.

/ Your farm/ranch support you or do you support it? #16  
Well thanks again for the info. I'll be out there this weekend for some light duty unless the rains really pick up heavy.

I intend to farm as a hobby, maybe to get the tax break. I would be happy to break even. I suppose that you, with 100 acres or so, will be competing with people like me that aren't depending on agriculture for their livelihood. That makes it tough to profit much. The trick would be some sort of peculiar market other than say beef, maybe something peculiar like goatmilk.

/ Your farm/ranch support you or do you support it? #17  
FOLLOW YOUR DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Youa re being offered a good price for your property from what you write. You are yearning for a different lifestyle so I encourage you to "Go for It".

My husband owned restaurants and I was a Systmes Analyst for a huge company. Our dream was to check out early at age 50 and retire to our olive farm. We did the whole thing. Sold all our investments, well not all couldn't touch retirement and a few others, but mostly sold everything, bought the olive farm and we are living happily ever after. Granted we dont' make as much money, not near as much, as we did in our former lives form the olive farm. However we do make money at it, enough to support a modest lifestyle.

Leading a good life is more important than lots of toys. In my former life i would have just walked into the dealer and bought the tractor I wanted. With our new life I have to wait a year or two, but I'll get it. Our life is better. We are so much less focused on possesions and material things. It is so beautiful to wake up on your own property and go to work on your own farm.

You are covered with your veterans pension, follow your dream, follow your dream.... Choose a healthier life that has physical activity. You will be more physically fit and with nature you will be more mentally fit. The joy of having no employees and also no bosses is awesome.... You just have to find customers for your product.