Coal cost per ton

/ Coal cost per ton #1  

6or7dazeaweek

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520
I've been reading the coal burning threads with great interest. This is my 3rd season with the Harman Magnum stoker. Excellent stove, thermostatically controlled, 100# coal hopper. Currently weather in in the 30's and I'm burning perhaps 2 coal hods per day with the t'stat set at 70 deg.

I just caught a thread where the coal price in Va. was $45/ton. All I can say is WOW! I just paid $225/ton for pea coal delivered. I'm not complaining...everything else is up including fuel to transport. I'm just curious as to what you are paying per ton & where you're located. I'm in Northern NY!

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Coal cost per ton #2  
I paid .091 a pound for hard nut coal... the $45.00 a ton price looks good to me if i can figure out how to haul 3 tons... My heatpump is more efficient then burning coal at .091 a pound but burning coal keeps the whole house warm (basement included where we hang out) vice just keeping the upstairs heated. Basement is 75 degrees now, upstairs is 70... everyone is in the basement in front of the soney bigscreen now and i am typing this in front of the harman mark II that is burning at about 450 degrees on the stove pipe.

/ Coal cost per ton #4  
6 or 7 daze,
That was my post that said coal was $45.00 a ton. I was replying to a gent that lives in Va. I actually live in Western Md. close to the Wv line. We have ALOT of surface mines up here and you just pull right up and they load a ton on for ya with a loader. takes all but 2 minutes.
Soft bituminous coal is anywhere from $45-60 a ton depending on which coal company you go to.
That is why I got rid of my wood eating outdoor furnace and bought an AHS wood/coal/oil boiler. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Coal cost per ton
Scesnick...all I can say is you're pretty fortunate to live so close to the mines. I've got the one ton dually that would haul the stuff, but then there's the problem of unloading & getting it into the bin. I have not looked into the cost of bagged coal from my supplier but I may do that just to satisfy my own curiosity. This is the first year that they charged me for trucking...I think the first 15 miles was free & so much per mile thereafter. The trucking fee came to an additional $7.50 on top of the per ton fee which I think is quite reasonable. I know for sure that I'd burn more diesel going over & back with a ton of coal in my pickup but if the cost per ton is lower, it might be worth it.

All I know is it sure beats the heck out of running the baseboard electric heat.

I just noticed a mistake in my original post....where I said I bought pea coal. Well, that must have been fresh in my mind because the delivery guy was showing me the different size coal that he had on the truck. I actually bought rice coal which is a lot smaller. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

/ Coal cost per ton #6  
Jon,
I'm just south of Syracuse, and yea, its 170 per ton picked up where I get it, no extra charge if you bag it yourself.... just time.

As soon as I heard that $45, my mind got a goin also, knowing several friends that burn coal, wondering how far into PA we would
need to go to get 6 or 8 ton on a dump trailer to make it worth while.

IS that W. VA coal Bituminous? Is Anthracite the same price?
(from what I have read, the softer coals aren't recommended
in most of the stoves we use around here)

burn on

/ Coal cost per ton
Dutch...I think we're using Anthricite coal in our stoves. My neighbor is into heavy equipment & has a F550 dump...Don't know what that equates to as far as toneage, but I'll bet I can get him to pick me up a load of coal locally. I don't think I could get him to travel to Pa or WVa for a load. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You're actually paying less per ton that I did last year. Lucky you!

So what's the proceedure where you pick it up? Do you rent bags from them or bring your own? I've always had mine delivered. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jon

/ Coal cost per ton #8  
It isn't too bad,
I had some bags of my own that the guy i bought the house from left there,, and i bought 15 bags that day.. for .80 each.

Then it's pretty easy, they have hoppers that you just stick the bag under a chute, open the door till it's about full, close the door, and then tie the bag with a wire tie. I didn't think it was too bad,, the bags end up being 60-75lbs... you fill them wherever you want. It'd be nice to have 2 people,, to send the bags up to the front of the truck to save me hopping up and moving a few at a time, then reloading the back of the truck from the ground... but I loaded 21 bags in 20 mins or half hour tops.. probably not that long, just seemed it!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Coal cost per ton #9  
Anthracite coal is quite a bit more. I guess because it is cleaned.
I never heard of bagging coal. I guess that is when you know you are really going to pay through the nose for it.
All we do here is pull up to the scales at the coal mine, get weighed and then they load your truck with a loader and then you are weighed again on the way out. It takes about 5-10 minutes and you are on your way.
It is amazing that most people around here STILL burn oil or natural gas, paying about $180 a month. I can heat my 3,400 sq ft house almost all winter on $180.

The AHS multi fuel boiler I bought is made to burn soft coal, which means you can also burn hard ( expensive ) coal also.