Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather??

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather?? #1  

PhilNH5

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDCC
Today's Boston Globe had an article about a sugarhouse in Fairfax VT that is already making syrup. They are 4 to 5 weeks ahead of schedule.

Is anybody on here tapping yet? I only have the 5 sugarmaples and I do not want to "jump the gun". I don't have enough trees to get a second chance.

I would normally go the end of Feb or the beginning of March.
I am worried - I do not want to miss out.

Thanks for any help.
Phil

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather?? #2  
Can you tap one and watch it, to see when its time to tap 'em all?

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather?? #3  
Hi Phil,
No one around me that I know of is tapping yet. But I did read an article that someone just north of us along the east shore of Lake Champlain has been tapping and has gotten a bunch of syrup already /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This winter is making some things difficult for sure /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Good luck what ever you decide /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather?? #4  
I see that some of the sugar shacks around here are in operation allready. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather?? #5  
Hi Phil, some are tapping around here and I was tempted but didn't. The long range forcast calls for cold weather. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've only been doing this five years and have never tapped before the last week of Feb. Mostly the first weekend of March is my date. It has been a strange year. If it happens again next year I may tap some trees I don't usually tap early. One thing that has been consistent is that the sugar content has been low at most of the places. Low sugar content more boiling. Hopefully we haven't missed the boat. None of the big places here in Fairfield have started boiling. Fairfax is about 20 miles from my place. Try mapletrader.com They have state by state tapping.
Stay in touch.

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather??
Thanks for the replies. Yesterday the early tapping was in the Globe and today it is on Yahoo News. In an article on Warm weather they say "In Vermont, mild weather made sap run early and let maple syrup producers go to work ahead of schedule, especially in the southern part of the state."

BeenThere, with only 5 trees I am loathe to use one as a test tree.

I think I'll just take my chances and hang the buckets the last week in Feb as usual.

Alan40, Good to see you are holding off. I was hoping you would respond.

Thanks
Phil

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather?? #7  
I haven't tapped any tress we own in over 5 years. I can tell you the sap is running like crazy just from looking at the broken branch ends. When they are dripping like crazy the trees are flowing.

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather?? #8  
I have been tempted to tap but we are heading to Orlando in the morning so haven't done it. If the weather is still like this when we get back I'll start tapping the trees on our property, about 280 taps, and do the college where I work the last week of Feb. Some of the science classes have been doing studies on sap flow etc so I need to time my tapping there until the students are ready but I should have about 100+ taps there. I have heard of some people around the state tapping but it's all been second hand or more.

Good luck this season!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Greg

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather?? #9  
Maple syrup time int he northeast, ahhh it must be so much fun, so enjoyable.
As a matter of fact today my husband made us French crepes for lunch and we had them with genuine American Maple Syrup. Ours is from Anderson's Maple Syrup in Cumberland Wisconsin. I didn't knwo that maple syrup was harvested in Wisconsin. Perhaps it is jsut a distributor. But is was sooooo good. Nothing fake or artifical about it, jstu God's gift to us, to harvest and enjoy.
Have fun when you do decide to tap and please write about it so we can learn. I know very little about it and it would be fun to learn it from a person who is doing it first hand.

Even your posts about when should you start to tap were informative to those of use who don't have any experience with making maple syrup.

/ Maple Syrup - When to tap in this weird weather?? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( my husband made us French crepes for lunch and we had them with genuine American Maple Syrup. )</font>

Oh boy, you just made me hungry. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's been years since I made syrup. I have everything I need, the only thing lacking is the time. My best year I made 3.5 gallons... I'd boil all week after work, then on Sat I'd finish it off inside on my cookstove. On the next burner I'd be cooking breakfast... nothing like buttered pancakes with fresh hot maple syrup poured over them.

making it is like making any candy... use a good thermometer and keep everything clean. To tell when the syrup is ready you check the temp. which water boils at (this varies slightly due to atmospheric conditions) and add 7 degrees F. To make the highest grade of syrup you don't want to cool the sap once it reaches boiling; every time it cools the finished product gets darker and thicker.

It also gets more flavorful so I gave the "best" stuff away as Christmas presents; and saved the darker, thicker batches for myself. (Being thicker, it also stays on the pancakes better.)