STIHL FS-250 or 350 Brushcutter

/ STIHL FS-250 or 350 Brushcutter #1  

PSDStu

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota, M7060 HDC12, L4060 HSTC, RTV 1140
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either one of these Brushcutters?

I have some areas of brush and sapplings I want to thin out and thought one of these would do the trick.

Would be curious to know the price of these as well.

Thanks

/ STIHL FS-250 or 350 Brushcutter #2  
Last summer, when I was shopping for trimmer to replace my 15 year old Echo, I looked at these. At least in my area, no one stocked them, they were special order. I ended up buying an FS130 because the Stihl dealer asked me what I needed to use it for (same as you) then he talked me out of the FS250, even though it was more expensive. He thought the FS130 was more than I needed. The FS130 was $389. You can get blade kits for the FS130 for cutting saplings, although I haven't bought one yet.

My observations of the FS130 are that it's heavy, so it's important that the shoulder strap is placed at the balance point. You don't want to be carrying the engine and the dealer was right. I certainly didn't need the FS250/FS350 and something smaller than the FS130 would have worked just as well. The FS130 does all I need it to do and when I get the blade kit, it'll handle the rest with ease.

Unlike my Echo, the Stihl is a 4 cycle engine that uses a unleaded premium gas and oil mixture. Starts easy. My dealer mentioned something that when these trimmers are sold in CA, they need catalytic converters on them and this trend was moving east. On second thought, maybe it was chain saws that had them, but trimmers were next.

There are several TBNers who have the FS250. Try a search on FS250.

Here's a link to one of them.

/ STIHL FS-250 or 350 Brushcutter
Thanks Mike for the info.

I will have to check out the different models and see if maybe the 250 or 350 might be a little overkill!

/ STIHL FS-250 or 350 Brushcutter #4  
I have an FS250 with handlebars. I bought it used for about $350 about a year ago. We live on 55 wooded acres with MANY saplings, ranging from beauty berry to most all the species of trees on our property: oak, sweet gum, pine, hickory, elm, etc.

I bought this brushcutter specifically to thin out these saplings. I am extremely satisfied. It is true that it is fairly heavy, but not too heavy as far as I am concerned. It has a 2 cycle engine. It starts and runs very well. It seems to have plenty of torque. I have only used 8" blades so far. The limit to how big a sapling I can cut is the available radius of the blade. I hope to try a 9" blade in the near future.

A three legged blade works very well on bramble, briar, etc. I actually used the string trimmer head along our roads last fall and was pleased with that also.

Personally, I adhere to the notion mentioned on TBN often about how you can't have too much tractor. I apply that to brushcutters also. I suppose I would have gotten an FS350 or even an FS450 (not sure of the model number, the one above the FS350) if I could have justified the expense. I approached it from a similar point of view to choosing a tractor, what is big enough to accomplish what I want to accomplish (my tractor is a Kubota L48TLB).

MikePA's FS130 is clearly a more modern trimmer, but I don't think mine weighs much more than his, due to the difference between the 4 cycle and 2 cycle engines. Can't say for sure that's true, but that's what I remember from my shopping times.

Good luck in your research/purchase.

Michael

/ STIHL FS-250 or 350 Brushcutter #5  
I've had an FS-85 Pro for the past 5 years, which at the time was the smallest brushcutter that Stihl recommended for use with a toothed blade. I was planning on buying a larger one, like a 250 and the salesman said "Why, this one will do everything you want". And you know what, he was right.

I use the Stihl chisel tooth blades for cutting saplings and they are the way to go. I've used the "scratcher" blades and they dull easily and can't be easily resharpened. The chisel tooth blades can be chucked in a vise and quickly resharpened with a round file. With this blade my cutter is capable of cutting down saplings up to about 5", with the limit being the cutting width of the blade. I would suspect that the FS250 would have a bigger diameter blade and that would be helpful.

One thing I do is remove the blade guard when cutting saplings. Otherwise it gets in the way and you have to cut at an awkward angle, which makes things MORE dangerous imho. Of course, I'm not advocating that anyone else do this, it just works best for me.

A recent project I just completed was cutting a 100 yard shooting range through some brush. My chainsaw was used to tidy up some things, but most was done with my FS85.

/ STIHL FS-250 or 350 Brushcutter #6  
I bought the FS250 last summer. I love it. It is quite light and very powerfull. I have used the heck out of it since getting it am still very pleased. The best thing is that I can lay down thick knee high grass and weeds just as fast as I can get her to go back and forth without the head ever plugging up or getting tangled. I have also used the brush blade and have cut down stuff that really should have required a chain saw.....which I do not recomend.....that thing will kick back hard and knock you down the hill......Trust me, I know this. The thing is kind of a gas hog but that lets you take more breaks. Be prepared to shell out some cash for the FS250. I paid 489.00 but well worth it. Have fun and let us know what you get.

Thanks guys for all the input.

Visited the Stihl dealer and decided to go for the FS-130B, and saw blade. I think it will handle the chores I need to get done.

/ STIHL FS-250 or 350 Brushcutter #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have an FS250 with handlebars. I bought it used for about $350 about a year ago. We live on 55 wooded acres with MANY saplings, ranging from beauty berry to most all the species of trees on our property: oak, sweet gum, pine, hickory, elm, etc.

I bought this brushcutter specifically to thin out these saplings. I am extremely satisfied. It is true that it is fairly heavy, but not too heavy as far as I am concerned. It has a 2 cycle engine. It starts and runs very well. It seems to have plenty of torque. I have only used 8" blades so far. The limit to how big a sapling I can cut is the available radius of the blade. I hope to try a 9" blade in the near future. )</font>

My experiences are VERY similar with the 250. It's a beast. After using regular hardware store string trimmers all my life, the first time I used the 250...well, it was startling. Clear a path through thick grass/weeds as fast and easy as you can swing it, and buzz saplings down like nothing. I balked at the price, but it was totally worth it.

I see you already purchased the 130. Even so, I hope you got the handlebars. Makes carrying/managing the trimmer for long periods of time MUCH more manageable. I find the 250 an easier carry than my other puny $80 string trimmer from TSC, simply because of the handlebars.

Yup........ got the handlebars and double shoulder harness.

I can hardly wait to get out and start doing some clean-up!