Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
After reading about the problems some have had with thier neighbors, it's time for a "heads up" to those of you who are a pleasure to live next to. I know mine are...

I live on a seasonal town road; until I built here the road wasn't plowed in the winter. My nearest neighbors are 1/2 mile up the road... although they disagree with hunting, ATVing, and probably most of my other pleasures we still get along; more importantly, they always slow down when going past my house as they know that my aging Lab is apt to wander out to see who is using "her" road.

The one time my dog wandered off I spent 3 1/2 hours looking for her before someone living 2 miles down the road caught up to me and asked "did you lose your dog?" "She's sleeping on my living room floor."

The landowner across the road from me has been invaluable while I've learned how to cut and sell the timber from my land. I've been in the forest industry for 26 years but had never dealt with the harvesting end;he has advised me with everything from the most effective way of bringing the wood out with my small tractor, who to sell it to, and who to haul it for me... as well as suggesting trucking prices which are fair both to me and the trucker.
Recently he bought a nice bandsaw mill, which he uses with his 2 sons (both recent college grads with good jobs) on those weekends when they aren't cutting wood for recreation. I asked them for a price to saw out lumber for my garage which I plan to build this spring; apparently being their neighbor is payment enough.

Those of you who live or own next to people you regret... I offer my condolences. To those who strive to be good neighbors, keep up the good work. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #2  
I like your thread. Let's take it back two years ago. Everyone in my neighborhood got along great. My old neighbor was a doctor. Anytime I needed something medical or advice it was there, free of charge. I would plow his driveway for him so he wouldn't have to after a long day at the office. He would still get mad at me for stealing his tractor time from him. We fished together, hung out together, boat shows and did the outdoor shows together.

My other neighbor the farmer has got to be the best guy to know. We are always helping each other out one way or another. I have access to use his equipment anytime I want. I give him a hand anytime he needs one or mechanical advice. He also helps me with his big tractor and winch if I need it for dropping a big tree near the buildings. I plow out his farm behind mine as he doesn't live there. He gives me free veggies. We get along better than brothers do. I hope his property never gets developed. I'll have to build a small house on my hill across the street for solitude.

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #3  
We are blessed with one of the best neighbors you could ask for- while I enjoy my seat time clearing snow there are many times that I am out of town, or just plain busy. There's nothing nicer than coming home to a clean drive way. My neighbor has a plow truck and if he knows we are gone, will simply stop in and "push". Sometimes he calls to see if we need it done. You see, my wife loves to bake cookies. As my neighbor says- he can't bake, so this is his way of making sure his sweet tooth is covered. Sure we do for each other, but it certainly seems to me that he is doing more than we are. My wife keeps talking about having a plate made, a picture of his truck and " will plow for cookies" printed on it!

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #4  
My neighbor has been great. He's owned his farm for 60 years and is more than willing to help anytime I need something. Several years ago I rebuilt the engine on his MF 85 as it was old and tired. When I refused to take any pay for the job, he joked and said he'd get even with me for that. Several years later, he wanted to sell off 65 acres of timber land and I told him I'd be interested. His comment was that he would sell it to me for $350 per acre because he knew I'd care for it as he had. Two weeks later while I was exploring it I got my 8N stuck up to the oil pan in a bog. When I went to his home to see if I could borrow the MF 85 to get the 8N out he gave me the key and said when I was finished to park it in my barn, if he ever wanted to use it again he'd come down and borrow it.

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #5  
Before and after neighbor problems I had good neighbors, I have very good neighbors now. The older people who bought the property that borders mine, only after a few years the husband died of cancer, His wife, we call her Mom she is 70, my wife is like her daughter and would do anything for her. I keep her in firewood and my wife helps her in the house and takes her to the food stores and such. She has told us many times when she dies she is leaving her place to us since we are more family than her own family is, She is a wonderful old Gal.
The new people that moved in across the road are cool(glad the other owner is gone)The guy has the same interests as me, loves to hunt and he farms, we do a lot together, its like I have known him for years, but I haven't.
On the other sides of my place I am bordered by a state park, so no neighbors there other than the hords of deer that wants to eat what I plant.
Life is grand in the little berg I live in now.

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #6  
This is a great thread. I have great neighbors. A few years ago my water line broke. I came home the next day early from work to dig it up by hand and repair it. One of the neighbors had already started to dig it up. And the digging was rough. Super wet West Virginia clay. I started to dig and as I dug the other two neighbors showed up to lend a hand. Pretty soon the four of us had it done and were all heading home. I did not have to ask for the help they just wanted to. I give a hand when needed in return. Life is great at my little place. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #7  
When I lived on the farm and when I will ive on the farm again in a few years I had/will have neighbors that if I need something and they have it I call and go get it, if it's an emergency just go get it.
Same thing with me and dad, if we had it and they needed it they'd call and come get it, if it was an emergency come and get it.
It worked very well, if any of us couldn't find what we had we'd call or go and find it. Everybody admitted if somethgin was broken in some way and maintenace was always kept up well.

Several times I mowed the enighbors pasture for them with our bigger tractor after I had borrowed their JD 750 with a loader for small jobs.

I always mowed the roadbanks for a mile each direction from our farm since we had a tractor stable enough to get on hillsides, plus I enjoyed it. Can't wait to be out there again SOON!

Now where I live on the outskirts of town people look at me funny like they've never seen a tractor before, then they all wonder what it is I am doing and literally I have almost caused 4 wrecks just by doing stuff in my yard, while I was a long way from the street.

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #8  
I am also fortunate to have good neighbors. When my neighbor mows his ditch, he always manages to mow mine also. In turn, when I mow mine, I always mow his. He always manages to outdo me by 2 to 1. A couple years ago when I had eye surgery and could not mow my pasture for several weeks, one day I looked and it had been mowed. He has a well equipped shop and told me anytime I needed anything just let him know. When I built my metal building, he brought over his large IH with a hay spike on the loader to lift the main beams in place. He also mentioned he is going to buy a track loader and remembered that I had said I wanted to build a pond. I can't wait for that one. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #9  
My neighbor is also great. They live about 100 yard's through the wood's from me. I have lived here for two year's now and I met and spoke with them one time while walking in the wood's they offered me the use of their property and that they would have their son's divert the go-cart track around my wood's since the survey showed that it ran on my proprtey some. Told them not to worry about it, then said goodbye nothing personal they do their thing and I do mine.

/ Good Neighbor thread... most of us have them #10  
My neighbor on the left has been there for almost 30 years. Great fellow and fine neighbor. About a year ago we worked together for several days digging up stumps along our property line, we had a blast doing it. The neighbors on my right were here when we moved here in 1966. He is 85 . Sadly his wife died last summer. I used my BX23 to tear down a dog pen and dog houses for him covering an area of about 50x50 feet. This was before his wife got sick. He once told me right after we moved here that if I ever needed to use anything he had just ask for it. Another neighbor at the rear of my property is a diesel mechanic and will work on my tractor and cars/trucks for 25 dollars per hour. Sure beats the gong rate for mechanic work anywhere else. He has also cut down trees and removed the wood from fallen trees for the firewood which saved me a bundle over paying a tree cutting company. I cleared out several trees in an area I'm grubbing to reclaim as lawn. If there are any trees he can use for fire wood I will help him gather them up and haul the wood to his wood pile in the FEL.