grape arbor

/ grape arbor #1  

cisco

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3410
I'm putting in ornamental-type trees (the property already had oaks and pine) such as crab apple, ginko, crap myrtle, dogwood and bradford pear, so when I retire there in 5 plus years, they will be of reasonably decent size. I also plan a vegetable and fruit garden, and need to get into the ground the fruit trees and grapes - now. So, in S.C. it's going to be muscadine grapes, and the Clemson extension service has suggestions re. varieties for eating, and for wine (admittedly, the wine will not be top notch). I've seen, and read about on the net, grape arbors with 2 runs of wire, one about 2-3 feet above the ground, and another 2-3 feet above that. The alternative, for higher yield I guess, is to place a "T" at the top of the post and run 2 top wires instead of 1, separated horizontally by 3 feet. Anyone have an idea whether the "T" and 2 top wire arrangement affects the quality/taste of the grapes? I can do it either way. If you can answer that question, you also might know the optimal distance to separate the grape vine plantings under the arbor.
Thanks - I'm clueless on this topic.

/ grape arbor #2  
Give From Vines To Wines a read. I have not read the book but a friend of mine has and successfully planted 250 vine's using this book. It seems to cover everything a beginner would need. Like i said I have not read it but it seems to be a good read

/ grape arbor #3  
The "T" arbors make haarvesting a bit more complicated. I have tried both and I prefer the 2 wire stacked system. I didn't find much difference the performance of the vines no matter what system I used. Just make sure you spray for fungal disease often.

/ grape arbor #4  
"From Vines to Wines" is indeed an excellent book, and I'm currently in the middle of reading it.

I'll make an attempt to answer your question based on my limited knowledge from the book...the "arbors" that you describe with posts and wires are actually more accurately known as a "trellis" system, of which there are many types. A trellis is a support for grapevines whose function is to maximize the amount of sunlight that the vines receive. The trellis also helps keep the vines relatively dry, which acts as a defense against the various types of mildews that can affect the grapevine.

The trellis with the T-shape on top is known as a Geneva double curtain. It is appropriate for American and French-hybrid varieties of high vigor. This type of trellis gets the vines high off the ground into the warmest air zone in the vineyard microclimate.

A two wire trellis is the most common type of trellising in the US today, both in California and the East. The wires are typically higher in colder areas.

I looked up recommended spacing for muscadines and they say ideally 20 feet between vines and 12 feet between rows.

Please note that I've paraphrased from the book and I highly recommend it.

Hope this helps, and good luck...

Dean

/ grape arbor
Oh crap, per usual I'm way over my head. Looks like I'm going to have to read a book (hope it has big print and lots of pictures).
Seems every task I get into on my future retirement property ends up teaching me something - frequently how NOT to do it.
A pond is next ----- just a hole in the ground and some water ---- right? On second thought, when I order the vines to wine book, I'd better order one on pond construction. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ grape arbor #6  
On Grapes:

Don't know anything on growing them. Got one vine 5 years ago for Fathers Day and planted it. Then had to build a backyard arbour. Picture of results.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited: