HELP install sliding barn door on metal building

/ HELP install sliding barn door on metal building #1  

DCRC

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3830 HST with LA723 FEL and HD bucket
I am having a 60 X 120 metal buiding built and I want to put sliding doors on it to look like a barn.

To possibly save a little money and get exactly what I want I'm going to build and install the doors myself.

My question is when to install the upper track. I would think it would be alot easier to install the track now and install the insulation and siding with flashing around it.

The eractor on sight, said it would be easy for me to come back when they are done and install this stuff. I don't see it that way. May be trying to get me out of there way?

I would have to install some type of header with stand offs to attach the upper track to, and cut a split in the tin to slip the flashing under. Sounds like a pain in the rear to do, and would be a lot easier to cut on the ground with the right tool.

I plan to have :

a double sliding endwall door 16ft wide (34 ft of track)

(2) 13ft sliding sidewall doors (30ft of track)

Attachments

• 836797-DSC01406 (Medium).JPG
    836797-DSC01406 (Medium).JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,072
   / HELP install sliding barn door on metal building
Lots of dirt work. The base elevation is 51.5'. We built up to have the slab top at 56' since the 100 year flood plain per FEMA is 54.5 feet.

Attachments

• 836801-DSC01411 (Medium).JPG
    836801-DSC01411 (Medium).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 636
building like I said is 60' X 120' and will have a 4:12 pitch roof and 2' foot overhang and extensions.

Attachments

• 836804-DSC01416 (Medium).JPG
    836804-DSC01416 (Medium).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 837
   / HELP install sliding barn door on metal building #4  
Very nice building you got going up there. If you have rollers and a track on the bottom of the door. You won't need them on the top. Up top all that will be needed is a board to keep the doors in place from falling backwards. Kinda like these doors.

Attachments

• 836812-Barn37.jpg
    836812-Barn37.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,104
   / HELP install sliding barn door on metal building #5  
The top end.

Attachments

• 836813-Barn38.jpg
    836813-Barn38.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,282
   / HELP install sliding barn door on metal building #6  
My metal supplier told me that the track goes on first. There is a flashing that goes on over that. The siding then goes on over the flashing.

ron

Thanks.

Ron, that is exactly the way I see it. Installing the doors last just means more work for me.

Installing them now means more work for the erector crew.

I know I definitly want tracks on top. Tracks at the bottom are a pain with rocks and dirt filling them up, and having to roll stuff over them like pushing cars, dollies etc...

Daryl

/ HELP install sliding barn door on metal building #8  
Daryl, it was nice meeting you and your wife today. If you need anything let me know. I will probably go out friday and get some pictures.

Ron

You to, Great to know we will have some nice neighbors. After you left we got after and planted 22 (small) trees. My father should be in town end of this week and we will be trying to install some type of header for these sliding doors.

found sliding door hardware through www.richardswilcox.com/hardware/

/ HELP install sliding barn door on metal building #10  
I was told to fasten it to the red iron above the door. Go to Tin Spot and talk to them. They can help you out a lot. He may even have some pictures for you to look at.

Ron