Pole barn ceiling

/ Pole barn ceiling #1  

Buck

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 790 (2001)
As I said in another thread, I am siding my barn with pine shiplap. Looks great.

Now I am thinking about using pole barn metal for the ceiling. I priced out the materials and I figure for the 1200 sq. ft. the materials will cost about 70 cents per sq. ft or $840.

I am thinking about contracting it out. How much do you think it would be in labor?

/ Pole barn ceiling #2  
Hi Buck.......

I can offer this info from my shop that might help, of course not all will apply.

Shop is 26X32 ( 832 sq ft) with a 2nd floor truss set-up. The ceiling was flat and 2x8.

I insulated it first with R-30 and some places R-38.
The best price I found around here for gloss white was from the Amish at $1.70 a ft. I had it ordered cut at 16.5 ft. It is tuff to put up (handle) in one peice (32ft). This allowed it to overlap 6 inches.

It came with the same screws that you would use on the outside. I did pay extra for the edges but I don't remember how much. Had it delivered.

Tripped over it laying inside on the floor for about 3 weeks, so I asked the Amish to install it, $200.00.

Now I have to install the lighting. Will do that in conduit, (emt)

Would I do it again, yeap, really looks nice, bright, and no painting.

Don't know where Ontario N.Y. is but I'm in N.E. Ohio.

Hope that helps you, I like it. George

/ Pole barn ceiling
ges,

"Hope that helps you, I like it. George " -- It helps me tremendously.

I am assuming the width of the strips is 4 ft. -- is that correct? Can't get a sq. ft. comparison without it.

By the way Ontario is outside of Rochester in Western NY. I get out to Youngstown and Clevland frequently as my wifes' family is out there. We have Amish here too, but don't know if they do barns.

/ Pole barn ceiling #4  
When you say pole barn materials, are you talking about metal siding?

My truss's are on 4ft centers, so I've avoided even thinking about a ceiling because of all the material I'd have to add to support 4x8 sheets. But I never thought about metal siding.

You can get it cut to just about any length, it's not very heavy and would be easy to install. It's plenty strong enought to hold insulation and you can get it in a variety of colors. White would be my first choice. Hmmm.

I don't know about labor, but with a scaffold, you could easily do it yourself. This is a very good idea. Thank you!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eddie

/ Pole barn ceiling #5  
<font color="blue"> Don't know where Ontario N.Y. is but I'm in N.E. Ohio.
</font>

Hmmm another TBN neighbor. Just had to jump in and say howdy!

Buck, sorry can't help you much here as we used drywall with a knocked down finish for our pole barn ceiling.

/ Pole barn ceiling #6  
Hi again Buck........

Since you said this helped you alot, and I don't wanna give bum scoop, I went out to the shop, measured a scrap piece, and found the reciept.

The piece measured 38" but I remember him telling me to figure 36" because of overlap. The color on the bill was written bright white.

1 pc. 3X16= 48sq. ft. and cost $28.80 or approx 59cents sq.ft.
1 pc. "J" channel, 10ft., cost $4.50 or 45cents a ft.
1 screw 1 1/2" long cost 4 cents. 750 screws.

So, here is what the wife paid /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

metal $489.60
"J" channel $54.00
Screws $30.00

Total $574.60 for 832 sq.ft. or 69C sqft.

Again I paid $200.00 more to install it.
Could I install it myself? Yes, but not alone. It is awkward to handle, I already had moved some junk into the shop, the overhead doors were up, and I had my real job. But that was my choice.
About the overhead doors. They unbolted the track hangers, slide the metal under and relagged. Did not cut around them.

When you go to Cleveland on I-90, you go through my town. Give me a yell, I always drink coffee. My future son-in-law is from Rochester, my daughter lives in Painted Post (Corning), and at one time I lived in Baldwinsville, (Syrc).

Hi back at you Pineridge.

Buck, let me know if I can help you anymore. Oh, this metal came out of Sligo, PA, but you know Amish, no phone.
This price was Aug/10/05 Good luck, George

/ Pole barn ceiling
Eddie,

I've seen it in some of the newer building around here on the ceiling and it is mint looking.

I really like the idea of combining with the pine shiplap that I have on the walls.

ges made the decision for me with his costs.

/ Pole barn ceiling
ges, I already posted a reply to your message but it doesn't appear on the forum for some reason.

I really appreciate your getting that data. I can't think of a better solution to the ceiling and I am glad you like yours.

You made my decision for me.

If you are ever here in Rochester, I'll buy you coffee. Just send me a private message. Or, if you want we'll have a beer or a Coke and I'll show you around!

/ Pole barn ceiling #9  
ges,
You wouldnt happen to have pictures, would you??

I got a pretty good deal on some OSB and was going to use it, but havent really made up my mind yet.. Like Eddie said, it weighs allot, though my truss' should hold just fine I like the idea you guys are talking about..

/ Pole barn ceiling #10  
The interior walls and ceiling of my 30' x 40' garage (pole barn) are clad in metal siding. This was done by the previous owner. The trusses are 6'c/c and this doesn't appear to present a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 848638-garage-ceiling-web.jpg
    848638-garage-ceiling-web.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 4,498