Don't think my BX can handle this one

/ Don't think my BX can handle this one #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
Don\'t think my BX can handle this one

This in near the last of the major tree & stump removal on our place from Katrina. We have about 8-9 similar stumps that I have given up on. I'm finally hiring it out - - a crew is supposed to be here Thursday to remove some stumps & grind others. He gave me an estimate of $2000. As near as I can tell, that is not a bad price compred to some of the horror stories I've heard about $$ spent to clean up properties around here.
The stump in the photo is the remains of a pretty nice double red oak plus a hickory. They used to provide much needed shade for the barn. Oh well, nothing that can't be regrown over the next 20-30 years.
Jack

Attachments

• 847865-Oak Stump 1.jpg
    847865-Oak Stump 1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 603
   / Don't think my BX can handle this one #2  
Re: Don\'t think my BX can handle this one

I used to work for a logging outfit as a mechanic. What they normally do in cases like yours, if it's their own property, is cut as much of the usable wood off, then pile all the stumps in one pile, then burn them. If there's not enough wind, they use HUGE gasoline powered fans. If all they had was one or two stumps, they would drill one inch holes in the stump, then pour nitric acid in the wood, let set for a year, then burn them. I'm thinking a solution of 64-0-0 in the holes would work too. What you want is for the wood to absorb the solution or acid so it'll continue to burn like one of those birthday candles that won't blow out.

/ Don't think my BX can handle this one #3  

I was going to say not to underestimate your BX... CUT's can do amazing things if you have the time.

But then I opened up the photo. After looking at it, the price doesn't seem so bad after all, and it sure will be nice to just sit and supervise on that job.

/ Don't think my BX can handle this one

Yep, I've been amazed at what the BX can do. I've cleared off the rest of the debris on my land - - except for the woods, where I'll probably just let it lay. I've dragged, pushed, hauled, & rolled quite a bit of tree remains out to the road for FEMA contractors to cart off.

Burning the one in the photo would not be feasible since it is right next to my barn.

I've saved more oak that I'll ever use in my wood stove. Right now it is piled up at the back of my pasture. Hope it doesn't just rot away.

Jack

/ Don't think my BX can handle this one #5  

Tdog,
Im thinkin you made the right decision on this one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

/ Don't think my BX can handle this one #6  

Well if is the end fo your stumps you will feel good when they are hauled otta there. If you happen to be around when it happens and have the camera handy it would be kind of intereting to see exactly how a stump that big is handled.

/ Don't think my BX can handle this one #7  

You really should stage a pic with your Bota at the base of the roots and stand there like a proud pappy---your Baby dug that thing up! Maybe have it so it looks like the FEL is handling it.........

Should be good for grins!

ron

/ Don't think my BX can handle this one #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The stump in the photo is the remains of a pretty nice double red oak plus a hickory. They used to provide much needed shade for the barn. )</font>

Speaking of the barn...how did it fair? How much total damage did you sustain? I know you said you had 8 or 9 big stumps remaining, but did most of your structures hold up? Hope so... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Don't think my BX can handle this one

jinman - - I don't know how to show the link to it, but I posted several photos Sept. 6 [I checked the date] the first time I was able to log on after the storm. We were without power for another 3 weeks or so, but my neighbor & I made our way to Baton Rouge the Thursday after the storm & each bought generators - - so I could run a few essential items, like the computer.

As my post said, we were very fortunate - - trees fell everywhere. 3 or so were leaning on the house, but did no real damage. There were no 'hits' on any of my buildings. The pasture fence, on the other hand, needed extensive repairs. My major damage was from the wind tearing off most of my metal roof. We took quite a bit of water through the ceiling in several rooms.

Can't complaing about my insurance so far. My contractor says he can do the job for the estimate amount. My major complaint is with the mortgage company. Turns out that the insurance check for the house damage was made out to us AND the mortgage company. While I originally financed with a local firm, they sold the morgage to an out of town corporation. And they are @#$%$# to deal with. While they sent me some money right away, they insisted on an inspector for subsequent withdrawals. OK, that's reasonable - - but it took me 2-3 weeks to get someone to show up. He agreed that we were well on our way, maybe 75-80% done. But the mortgage comany still wanted all sorts of paperwork - - like a contract. Well, my builder is the son of a neighbor - - he's done $30k+ of building/renovations for us in the last couple of years. Don't need a contract! Well, at least show ue 'paid invoices'. I finally produced them by asking my builder to write them out - - and they are accurate, but I didn't have them before this, although we both knew where we stood. I argued with the company as to why they need this paperwork if THEIR inspector had seen the progress. The answer, of course, is that they have their rules & regulation to be followed. Yeah, so does FEMA. It seemed to us that they would do whatever they could to delay sending us our money.

It was & still is frustrating. The builder expects to be paid ever so often, but it is hard to do if the morgage company will not release the funds. Maybe, in retrospect, I should have just lied & told them I would be making all the repairs myself. I'm pretty sure that, after inspection, they would have to release the funds.

Sorry about the vent/rant. The more I typed, the more I got worked up.

Jack

/ Don't think my BX can handle this one #10  

I feel your pain. I had the same problem building my house. I hired my father-in-law to do most of the work. What the heck do I need a contract for. He's an excellent carpenter and home builder but paperwork ain't his thing. He needed to paid every week, but I could only get draws from my construction loan at certain stages of construction. I was basically signing over my paychecks to him and maxing out my credit cards for materials until a draw check came.