goat fence - wire mesh or barbed wire?

/ goat fence - wire mesh or barbed wire? #11  
I wanna know where your getting that mesh for 173.00, I just got a quote from Tractor supply for 239 or 279 or something like that!!!same length too!

That was posted in March '06.

/ goat fence - wire mesh or barbed wire? #13  
   / goat fence - wire mesh or barbed wire? #14  
I've had good luck with the 4x4 goat fence. If they have horns they can get their heads stuck in the larger openings of field fence. For my Ibex I run 39" field fence above 48" goat fence for a total height of 7+ feet.

/ goat fence - wire mesh or barbed wire? #15  
I use Red Brand's 4' tall "non-climb" mesh fence wire. It has 2"W x 4"H holes. Keeps the goats in, keeps their heads from getting stuck in the fence, & the holes are too narrow for most peoples' feet to be able to climb it.

My local Tractor Supply charges $250 for 200' rolls. It's not cheap.

In my experience trying to keep goats in with barbed wire, although much cheaper, isn't a good idea. I think they'll get their heads stuck in it; Goats adhere to "the grass is always greener on the other side", & always seems to want to stick their heads thru whatever hole they can, in order to get something difficult, even when something easier is right in front of them on their side of the fence. They might even get completely out of the barbed wire, depending on how closely you connect the wires, etc. You can be pretty darned sure they aren't getting out of the Red Brand fence, unless a tree falls & flattens your fence.

/ goat fence - wire mesh or barbed wire? #17  
I used the Red Brand galvanized goat wire from TSC, about $250 for a 100m roll. The 39" I got from Home Depot for about $100/roll.

/ goat fence - wire mesh or barbed wire? #18  
Never get barbed wire, its horrific, shouldn't be allowed, no reason for it. It just catches animals and then kills them slowly. Just build a proper tall fence.

/ goat fence - wire mesh or barbed wire? #19  
I've seen goats held in a pasture with regular field fence, 4" x 4" squares. 8" long pvc piped duct taped across the horns to keep their heads from going through.

/ goat fence - wire mesh or barbed wire? #20  
I've seen goats held in a pasture with regular field fence, 4" x 4" squares. 8" long pvc piped duct taped across the horns to keep their heads from going through.

Had to use that one a time or two. Works really well. :thumbsup: