Hello,

I need to run a water line from my well to a new barn and
2 other outdoor faucets. My question is what size pipe should
I use to get good volume and pressure? Should I go with a
2" main then branch off 1" to the faucets which will be
3/4" faucets?

Here is my setup:
Well - 525 ft deep, 3hp pump, currently have a 1" T and cutoff
value installed to branch off from the well line.
Faucets: Need 3 faucets
Distance: Faucet #1 is about 70' from well, inside a 36x48barn
Faucet #2 is about 150' from well,
Faucet #3 is about 150' from well

Diagram: Here is what I had in mind for pipe layout

F3 -|
|
|--------60'----------|F2
|
|----30'-----F1
|
|
|
Well

Thanks for any help
Larry

/ Water Line Question #2  
Is there any storage at the well head? What kind of volume do you need at each of the faucets?

A 3HP pump can provide pretty good flow. However, if there is no storage or pressure tank, the pump would cycle a lot. I would put some sort of storage/pressure tank at the well head so that you could cut down on pump cycling. The size of each of the branches should be according to the requirements at the specific fawcet. The size of the main line needs to be according to the total demand. If you're only going to run one at a time, then the main doesn't need to be any bigger than any of the branches. If you plan on drawing from more than one fawcet at a time, then the main needs to increase accordingly.

The flow that you get in a pipe is proportional to the square of the radius (pi * r squared). This does not account for surface friction, but is close enough. So a 2" pipe should actually flow more than 3X what a 1" pipe can flow.

The GlueGuy

/ Water Line Question
Thanks, I guess I forgot some items, like the well also services
our house. There is a 80 gal pressure tank for the well in the garage of the house currently set at about 50 psi(?). I am figure that at most 2 faucets will be used at one time. But would like to plan for 3.

Faucet 1 is inside the horse barn, Faucet 2 is at the wash rack
so would like good pressure and volume there. Faucet 3 is
at the arena and paddock and will be used to water the
arena to wet it down when it gets to dry, need good volume
and pressure here.

The pressure I am shooting for is better than what the average outside faucet gets at a house. Especially for
faucet #2 and #3.

One more question, will schedual 40 PVC work for this?

Larry
(City boy marries country girl, now lives on 10 acres with
3 horses, 3 cats, 1 dog. Learning as fast as I can.)

/ Water Line Question #4  
Hayes,
I just put in my barn lines and I just ran 1" everywhere. I have more than enough water pressure for whatever I want. Some of my hydrants are 200' away and no pressure problem and my pump is only 1/5hp.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Water Line Question #5  
Your pressure tank more likely has a hi/low setting. Low pressure is "usually" ~~40 PSI, and high pressure is "usually" ~~ 60 PSI. Your mileage may vary, depending on your needs. Setting either of the pressures higher decreases the volume of water available between pump cycles, but of course improves the pressure. Conversely, a lower setting on either of the pressures increases the volume of water available between pump cycles, and reduces the pressure.

Schedule 40 can work OK, as it can handle upwards of 200 PSI. Just be sure to protect it from sunlight. This usually means burying the majority of it, and using galvi bibs where it has to be above ground.

I don't know what you mean by "good volume and pressure". That's a pretty subjective term, and you may have to quantify it before we could determine what is "good" for you.

As Cowboydoc points out, some people would consider the pressure/volume from a 1" line "good". Others might consider it marginal. For a lot of people, either 1/2" or 3/4" lines inside a house are "good".

The GlueGuy

/ Water Line Question
I am not sure what I mean by good volume and pressure either. Just that I don't want to get it all put together
and find out that I have a trickle at the other end. I have until this weekend to decide, Friday we are trenching and Sat.
installing. I do know enough not to cover the pipe until I have
verified no leaks.

The soil type in our area is clay based and gets very hard
and compact. After trenching should I put some "cush sand"
in before laying the pvc. I read or was told by someone this needs to be done, is it true?

So when I go to the local dirt supplier, do I actually ask for cush sand? ( I have already learned 1 mans select fill is not the same as another mans select fill. )

Larry

/ Water Line Question #7  
Anybody ever try PEX?
http://www.vanguardpipe.com/vanex.html

Its a felxiable pipe that uses crimped fittings rather than solvent weld or sweat.
Supposedly this stuff has some resistance to freezing unlike PVC and copper, which will crack. Its also color coded for hot and cold. The real advantage is that its felxiable and only requires a joint at the two ends.

Cost is a little pricey at $0.56 / foot for 3/4". Compared to ~$1/ft for copper and $0.15 / foot for PVC.

For a run to a barn the PVC might be cheaper but it would be close if you add the cost of the fittings, primer, glue, and labor.

Fred

/ Water Line Question #8  
1" everywhere should be fine. Use drinking water grade black plastic pipe in rolls for burried pipe. That way you'll have zero or minimal joints under ground to go bad. It's available in 100' and 300' rolls. Also, check the pressure rating of the pipe. There's something like 100 lbs, 160 lbs, and 200lbs. I would strongly recommend AGAINST the 100 lbs pipe (the only thing Home Depot sells!). It's thin walled and kinks easily. The 160 is more expensive but once you've burried it you really really don't want to have to dig it up again. I've also found that carefully heating the pipe end with a torch or blow dryer makes getting the fittings on much easier.

/ Water Line Question #9  
I've used it to replace sections of polybutylene in mobile homes. I've done some reading up on it and the jury is still out. After the polybutylene fiasco I really don't trust a lot of "new and improved" materials until they've had a few, like twenty, years to prove themselves. I also have a lot of LP siding to replace. The PEX is not UV stabilized, it's just not supposed to be chlorine sensitive like the PB was. I use screw on fittings rather than crimp fittings, I feel safer tying into old existing PB with the o-ring fittings I use. I also don't feel like buying a crimper. If I replace the whole run I go with the good old tried and true cut and glue PVC, I know and can live with it's limitations.

/ Water Line Question #10  
Larry,

As you say, one man’s fill is not the same as another man’s fill. Here in Georgia we don’t add sand to the trench, but we make sure that we are filling with rock free fill. Of course we don’t have the deep freeze thaw cycles that happen up North. Some of the old timers will fill part way and then lay PT lumber in the trench before filling the rest of the trench. The idea being that the load of concrete trucks or other heavy objects would be distributed more evenly. May be best to check for local practice with a plumber.

Sounds like a big weekend coming up, good luck.

MarkV