Source for online lumber prices??

/ Source for online lumber prices?? #1  

ejb

Platinum Member
Anyone know any good links where I can lookup lumber prices? I am not necessarily interested in buying on-line, but instead someplace that publishes their prices for comparison. (i.e. things like 2x6's, plywood, 2x12's etc ) so that I can work up some estimates for a barn I am planning on building?

I'd especially be interested in any sites that also give prices for engineered lumber, 'cause I want to compare the price of using some of that in my barn...

Still trying to figure out the construction method I will use. My first choice would be for a true post and beam frame, but the cost and learning curve would probably slow me down.

Pole-barn is probably the cheapest, but not crazy about the look of them.

I am leaning towards a conventional 2X6 frame with perhaps some engineered lumber for the longer spans (some will be as much as 24 feet), but before I want to compare the prices of the various configuations before I commit.

Also, anyone have a ballpark on metal roof costs versus shingles? Per square foot costs would be helpful for comparisions...

The building is going to be roughly 36x64 with a gable roof according to my current thinking (which is subject to change).

Thanks all.

/ Source for online lumber prices?? #2  
I am not aware of such a site, but what I have done in the past is run over to Home Depot or Lowes and write down the prices manually of the type of wood and materials I would be using. I then stick those into an Excel Spreadsheet for my calculations of cost.

Regards,
Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann
Fallston, Maryland
sm-gatorhead.gif

/ Source for online lumber prices?? #3  
ejb,
I did a pretty exhaustive search the first of the year when my barn was in the planning stages. I never did find anything. Let me know if you do find something.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Source for online lumber prices?? #4  
Like the others, I've never been able to find prices online either. I've even sent emails to places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. suggesting they do this. I mention in the email that I realize that lumber prices can vary, but even having ball park prices would be a big help in getting a rough idea what a project might cost. Also, knowing what kind and size lumber a place carrys would be good. Their response has always been, the prices vary too much.

tractor.gif

/ Source for online lumber prices??
I too haven't found anything with my searches, with very vew exceptions...guess I will need to call or visit home depot...over 1 hour away though.../w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Source for online lumber prices?? #6  
you know you're in the country when ... shopping is a full day event because of the trip to get there... sounds jus' right to me./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Source for online lumber prices?? #7  
What about calling them for prices?

tractor.gif

/ Source for online lumber prices?? #8  
For your purposes why not just convert everything into board feet, go to the store and get an average board foot price. That'll get you pretty close. Better yet buy all rough cut lumber and save a bundle. Upstate NY rough cut spruce goes for about $.50/board foot. (translates to $3.43 for a ten foot 2x6) I just helped put up a 40 x 40 stick/frame garage all with rough cut my friend cut from his own property. Worked fine. Don't know about the metal roof vs shingle but I know I'd go with the metal. Should last longer, be easier to install, sheds snow better, and probably is the same or cheaper when you figure not having to use plywood decking for the metal roof, just 2x4 purloins (is that how you spell it?)

/ Source for online lumber prices?? #9  
Plus metal roofs are much more fun when the snow slides off them /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. The main roof on our house (turn of the century log house) used to be wide seam metal (I painted it once). On the front and back of the house were a porch and a one story addition. Sitting in the living room reading, when the snow on the front of the main roof decided to slide onto the front porch roof. Scared the heck out of me.

tractor.gif

/ Source for online lumber prices?? #10  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Pole-barn is probably the cheapest,
but not crazy about the look of them.

<hr></blockquote>

I'll bet there are a lot of post-frame buildings
out there that you thought were stick or block built.

If your trusses come out to be 24in o.c., using plywood and shingles
will not increase the cost as much as trusses at larger distances requiring
purlins (if you dont include cost of extra trusses). plus with 24in spacing
drywall ceilings are possible.