Big problem with part of my hayfield

/ Big problem with part of my hayfield #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
I've spent the greater part of the past 2 weekends brush hogging what will eventually become a 50 acre hayfield. Part of it (approximately 8 acres) is on a 25 degree slope, which is not a problem. But when brush hogging this overgrown field, I discovered that there are trenches running through the slope, that ate 6 inches to a foot deep. I found out, that they had been plowed about five years ago, and the job was never finished. The trenches are so deep and numerous, that after one pass down the hill, I'm afraid I'll break the front end of my tractor. I'm creating these hayfirlds with my friend who has the adjoining property (this part is his property).
How do we smooth out this hill, so we can grow hay. I don't know if we have the equipment to do it. I have a 25 horsepower Ferguson, and he has a 62 horspower, 4wd Belauris. I think we may have to hire someone with a huge tractor to fix this problem.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Rich

/ Big problem with part of my hayfield #2  
It sounds like the trenches are "dead furrows" from plowing the field. I think a set of disks pulled behind either or your tractors would flatten the furrows out pretty quickly. Hope this helps.

18-29930-MJBTractor.gif

I love the smell of diesel in the morning./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Big problem with part of my hayfield #3  
Rich, in my other post to your disc question I mentioned my borrowing a disc. I did just what you need to do. Our property had been previously farmed and had furrows running East-West across the whole thing. It was a chore to drive my truck or tractor across. The disc was just the ticket to smooth it all out. It may take several passes at different angles but it should work /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Big problem with part of my hayfield #4  
Chisel plow the whole thing and then run a harrow through it. That 62 horspower Belauris should be able to pull the chisel plow with no problem.

8-72214-signature.jpg

/ Big problem with part of my hayfield #5  
If you're going to plant hay I would plow the whole thing and then disc it this fall. Get it soil tested and add whatever it needs. Let it sit over the winter and then harrow and seed it next spring.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Big problem with part of my hayfield #6  
Hi ya
yep i'd be plowing it too what ya talking about is common with 2 things
1 plowing in lands ie up and down not round and round if replowing plow into the ditchs
2 someone who should have never been plowing if they did not know how to finsh there strike outs.
a set of discs may work but ya may be there for days as the dirt ya need to refill is 2 foot away ,ya could work the ground and use a back blade to grade drit back in but that would be slow too .if plowing your self start at the ditchs and work out when ya 2 lots of plowing meet only plow 3-4 inchs so strike out is not so deep working with discs,tinesor harrows will soon fill the smaller ditch ya end up with
catch ya
JD Kid