Finding break in underground dog fence wire

/ Finding break in underground dog fence wire #1  

automech

Silver Member
Tractor
bx1500
Any tips for finding a broken wire underground? We moved into a house with an invisible fence system that worked when we moved in but now, after a septic installation and Verizon underground cable install, gives a broken circuit warning. I figured the septic install would cut it and I'm pretty sure it did. I'm hoping there's an easy way to find the fault because the hidden fence people get something like 100 bucks an hour to come out and check it. We never used the system 'cause our 15 year old terriers didn't need it, but maybe we'll get a dog who can use it.

/ Finding break in underground dog fence wire #3  
Take a transistor radio and tape it to the end of a stick. Plug in ear phones and turn it on and tune to an area that has static. Walk the line with the radio held just above where the wire is buried and when you hit a break it will have a noticable difference in static tone. It's been 10 years since I've done this but it worked for me. I had moles or muskrat always chewing through my line.

/ Finding break in underground dog fence wire #4  
There is a choke coil that needs to be placed inline with the circuit, it can be purchased at Radio Shack, then get an AM radio with headphones and tune it to AM600, you will hear a pulse sound then walk the line and when the pulse quits start looking for the break.

Here is a troubleshooting guide from Innotek that will tell ya everything I just said and more.Innotek

/ Finding break in underground dog fence wire #5  
Um, put the collar on yer neck, and, nah, that won't be right...

/ Finding break in underground dog fence wire #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Um, put the collar on yer neck, and, nah, that won't be right... )</font>

Electricity is a powerful motivator.....collars for dogs and tasers for humans /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Finding break in underground dog fence wire #7  
I've seen it motivate cows too... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Finding break in underground dog fence wire
Thanks guys, I'm going to try the least expensive Radio Shack repair first, then go from there. That seemed reasonable as far as the theory goes. I don't have a collar for the system yet so I can't test it out with that.

/ Finding break in underground dog fence wire #9  
I just fixed my invisible fence this afternoon. I was able to do so after searching for and finding this thread. I bought the $1.50 radioshack choke coil and it worked great to give me a signal at AM600. But, I had a good signal all the way around the whole perimeter and never could find the break that way.

Hint: Be sure to get headphones with extra long wires so you don't have to walk bent over (my fence is 1/4 mile long) to keep the AM radio next to the ground

I found a better way to isolate the break- this worked for me this afternoon. Hopefully someone else who needs to fix their fence can be helped by this info in the future when they do the same search.

1. Leave the choke coil plugged into both terminals of the fence electrical field generator, but unplug 1 of the 2 fence leads (remember that your buried fence wire makes a complete loop around your yard).
2.Follow the fence in that direction with your AM radio/earphones until the humming signal goes away (it will naturally get fainter over time, but when you get to the broken spot it will suddenly become undetectable). Mark this spot with a stick, soda can etc.
3. Plug that fence lead back in to the field generator and unplug the other fence lead. Follow the wire around the other direction and walk until the humming noise disappears. mark this spot with a stick, soda can etc.
4. The first marker will likely be about 10 feet away from the second marker. carefully dig about halfway between the two and that's likely where your break will be (at least it worked that way for me).

Cause of my broken wire: I ran my invisible fence through part of my pasture and the horse had sunk far enough down into the soft ground when he stepped on the buried wire to put tension on the wire and pull the wire in two.