Dispatching of Feral Hogs

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #1  

caylor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 w/513 FEL Quick Attach, Kubota RTV900
Recently my neighbor and I have been fighting a battle with feral hogs. To date they have rooted up about 10 acres of my neighbors coastal bermuda hay field, and last night I found them (around 10-15) on my property.

I dispatched the largest hog with my 30-06 at around 50 yards and the remaining hogs scurried away quickly and a second shot was attempted to pick another one off but missed.

Would the use of my 12-gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot perhaps do a better job in killing or injuring the maximum number of hogs at the same range?

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #2  
My opinion is to continue to use the rifle for a clean kill. At 50 yds, I don't think the shotgun would be lethal enough to do more than aggrevate them.

I used to have a buddy that shot prairie dogs at 200 yds with a .223. He was far enough away, he could take one out. The others would look to see what was going on, and he'd take the next one.

Can you buy or borrow a semi-auto to get more rounds on target?

Ron

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #3  
Get an AR-15 for quick follow up shots. You could shoot em in the guts, that way they run off your property and die. If it was me, I would be putting a couple in the freezer. If you don't want the whole hog, just cut the back straps out. Now I'm making myself hungry.

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #4  
The best way to describe ferel hogs is, they are like big, hairy, smelly fire ants. Once you get them you'll never get rid of them. Sorry, I've been fighting the same battle for 10 years now. When you shoot one, get the one with the big hanging teets before she delivers some more. Get a roller and press the grass back in place when you need to.

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #5  
I'm w/ the other guys. Lead poisoning from a high powered dispensor. I don't think the shotgun will have the lethality at range. Hogs' hides are pretty tough to penetrate under the best of circumstance. And I wouldn't want to get close enough to one for the shotgun to work either. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #6  
Here I have seen a trap that is very effective. A circle about 30-40 ft in diameter of cattle panels made using T posts... on rock ground so they can't dig out under. The entrance is the ends of the enclosure brought toward the center, must be at least 4-6 feet toward the center, in a V shape. Ends are held apart with a stick trigger that is set at the height of a large hog. The natural spring of the cattle panels provides pressure on the ends of the stick... when the stick is knocked loose by the back of a large hog entering the trap, all hogs are trapped. They run around the edge of the trap and when they hit the funnel entrance which is now a closed V, they follow the circle toward the center and don't succeed in opening the V.

Place feed inside the trap and LOCK the trap V open for several days... make sure that the hogs know feed is there and are coming to it.... then set the trap one day.... and check it the next morning...

Good eating!

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #7  
There are organizations of wild pig hunters. They set up hunts where city folk pay to hunt the pigs. Perhaps you have a money making opportunity.

Or perhaps you could invest in a pig call and sit out in a tree stand and wait for one to fly by, then call it in closer and shoot it. Watch out for the falling ones, though. 80 pounds falling from pig flying height could hurt.

Cliff

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #8  
Shot hogs before. I would lean more towards something like a .308, .270, 7mm, 30-06 or similar.

A lever semi-auto, or pump center fire big-bore would work well. A lever in 45-70 would be a nice option.

I have had Mini-14's, and shot Browning BLR's in .223. Nice for small varmits, but small for a hog.

INHO, of course /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #9  
Out here, folks will pay $400, $500, and up for a private pig hunt. Each person...

/ Dispatching of Feral Hogs #10  
Another vote for an AR15.

Just ask around over here http://www.ar15.com/ /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif