Pond on the property line?

/ Pond on the property line? #1  

ByronBob

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 BX2230
My neighbor comes to me with an idea. The lowest spot on the property is on the line between us. He has a pond but it's on a higher spot.

He says we've been thinking about filling the pond in. And with the low spot being where it is, maybe we could dig one on the line and use that fill to fill in mine. Split the costs 50/50

This would help me with water issues but where does liability come in if at all??

Looking for input from the TBN family.....

/ Pond on the property line? #2  
Let me get this straight. Your neighbor wants to give you half a pond?? This creates the most perfect boundary ever between two properties and all he wants from you is some fill that would come from the bottom of the proposed pond? I would jump on that deal in a heartbeat. The old saying says "good fences make good neighbors" and believe me that saying is 100% true. Your "fence" would be in the middle of a pond and the shore line is another 20-200' away from that?? My vote is to do it and spend a couple hundred dollars on diesel if needed to get it done. He gets rid of a high elevation pond. You get a pond and any significant water table change would certainly benefit you, not him. Plus, with an investment of under $350, you now have your own water supply for irrigation. A pump, lake strainer, PVC etc are really cheap. Depending upon your location, you might also get some ducks visiting. This sounds like a win-win for everybody.

/ Pond on the property line? #3  
Bob, my biggest concern would be the fact that you are in New York State! Better talk to 5 lawyers, 4 insurance agents, 3 building inspectors, 2 DEC officials, 1 property tax assessor and 1 good accountant.

/ Pond on the property line?
Gordon our lot line is 1000 feet long. We have nothing between us now so although I like the thought of boundries it really wouldn't matter. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pond on the property line? #5  
Southern states used to have programs to help pay to create ponds in the Atlantic flyways. Do you have something like that in NY? If so, the state or feds might help pick up part of the cost of building the pond if they are convinced ducks might stop by your place twice a year. Grant money, free use of bulldozers or tax credits. It is well worth asking. There are so many ways to get free money from government if you do the research and learn.

A 1000' property line. I am so jealous.

/ Pond on the property line? #6  
Two things that would concern me, would be liability and maintenance. What if your neighbor lets someone use his "half" the pond, but then they get drunk and wander to your side and drown. Who is liable? Or if it isn't a drunk, what about a kid? Second, would be chemicals and such if needed to keep it clean. I know not all ponds require this, but some do. Does the area have a natural feed to it? If so, what about an overflow area?

/ Pond on the property line? #7  
You said it. Thanks for supporting us repressed people in a state where individuals exist no longer.

Contrary to popular belief, NYS is quite nice when it comes to outdoor living. We do have a POLITICIAN infestation problem; invading and overtaking many of the natural habitats of the ****-sapian.

/ Pond on the property line? #8  
The neighbor comes to you and wants to move his pond and have you pay half the cost of doing this plus use your dirt to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

A pond is not going to be much of a property marker on a thousand foot line.

/ Pond on the property line? #9  
ByronBob: How big is this pond? Maybe I wrongly assumed this thing is a few hundred feet wide by at least that long. 1-3 acres?? To me this would be a great boundary. Your neighbor can't get any closer than a couple hundred feet from the actual border. YOU can't do it either. That creates a huge buffer between you. Maybe I lived in Florida too long where any lot over .3 acres is considered BIG. My employees come by my .5 acre and view it as huge compared to their lots. I actually had one home in the Florida keys where the LOT was 2550SF. It had a teeny house, a driveway and a small back yard. 3 couple houses later I now have 17,500SF. I probably view privacy far more than some of you guys.

/ Pond on the property line? #10  
I don't really know anything about water rights and easements. But you know the horror stories on property lines in these forums.

One of my neighbors back when had this shared pond. It became an issue with maintenance years after it was installed. For some reason it changed the water table and spring fed spots popped up throughout one neighbors yard. Then came the invasion of wanted/unwanted plants. Then came the disposal of dredged silt.... then came the invasion of the geese (pests around these parts).

I don't know how they resolved the color issue on St. Paddies day, it didn't go over too well.....

Anyway......

-Mike Z.