Handgun Advice

/ Handgun Advice #21  
My handgun is a sig 239 the compact version in .40 cal. Shoots great, and on top of that when i carry i have a inside the pants holster you cannot tell i have it. It has more then enough power, and shoots like a dream. Very easy to clean, and take apart.
I feel the main thing is to find a pistol that feels comfortable in your hand. my friends .50 desert eagle is just too big and clunky in my hand. it doesnt feel comfortable. I went with the sig because i shot a 229 a couple of times and was impressed with the feel and the groupings i was able to place. There are a ton of guns out there just dont jump into it. if you have a shooting range i would try out as much as i could.
later all
forgeblast

/ Handgun Advice #23  
I don't think you can go wrong with a S&W 686 in .357. For carrying in a holster, 4" would be better (ever sit in your tractor seat with a gun holstered?) as 6" can get a little in the way. Since you don't plan to be a dedicated handgun hunter, and the gun will be used primarilly for plinking and general home defense, the slight reduction in velocity with a 4" over a 6" is not an issue.

For carrying while working, I think a longer gun or something like a Super Redhawk is just too bulky and heavy. You might also look at the Taurus revolvers. They have some titanium versions which are very nice.

I may be a little biased. My first serious revolver was a S&W 681 (fixed sight) former police weapon with a 4" barrell. The action was slick and it was tuned great. I still have it several thousand rounds later and it is one of my favorites.

/ Handgun Advice #25  
After a reread, I would offer this.

As I mentioned before, and a couple others have too, go to a range where you can rent stuff. They are a great resource. Also, consider a trip to the range and check out what others are shooting. Often if you explain that you are looking at pistols, folks will let you try a couple rounds.

For what you describe, a good 44Mag with a 6" barrel would work nicely. A 44Mag will easily take a deer. A 44spl(remember a 44mag will chamber and shoot 44spl) would work nice for small game, and moderate plinking.

A friend reloads 44mag. He has tuned a 44spl load and a 44mag load, so that he is very accurate at 50 yards with 44spl, and at 100 yards is dead on with the 44mag; this is all with no site adjustments. He uses a nice Kieth style bullet for the 44spl, and a jacketed HP for the 44mag.

I personally like the S&W x86 and x29 series DA revolvers in this case. They have worked great for me in the past, right out of the box. Seems my expierience with Ruger revolvers, is they always needed tuning out of the box.

Another thing to think about along these lines is a carbine to go with the pistol. It is a nice combination to have something like a 44mag revolver matched up with a Winchester or Marlin 44mag lever action...(this works nicely with a 357 wheel gun and lever gun combo).

I like a lot of other rounds too, but the 357/38spl and 44mag/44spl combos give you a lot of flexibilty.

Also, the 44mag is pretty good for accuracy too. I used to shoot silhouettes at 100m with a Desert Eagle in 44mag, standing, unsupported. Pigs were easy, turkey's were easy, chickens were a bit of a challenge.

/ Handgun Advice #26  
Since you already have a PA carry permit its not hard to transfer. Depending on which county your going to move to will depend on where you go for transfer paperwork. In one county you have to go through the Sheriff's dept. In my county its through the county clerks office. I transferred my NJ carry permit to NY some years ago. A transfer is much cheaper than applying for a new permit.

/ Handgun Advice #27  
Will,
I carry my .45 ACP when hunting. Usually as a back up. (we have coy dogs, coyotes, and large cats where I hunt) I have hunted with a .38 rev. w/ 6" barrel. good for 25-30 yd. shots. A longer barrel on a pistol is usually better for distance but I doubt you'll be taking any game at 100 yds. A .22 is good for plinking and small game but don't take it hunting deer. Legally not a large enough caliber. I have also sent you a PM.
George

/ Handgun Advice #28  
The question I have is what is your definition of a "permit".

Lived in upstate N.Y for some time.

Honestly, and no one from New York take this the wrong way, but N.Y is a NAZI state when it comes to firearms.

Heck, even working for uncle sam stationed up at Fort Drum, the state wanted me to u.p.s ALL of my firearms to an FFL!!

Conceal carry? FORGET IT!!

Couple years ago my company wanted to transfer me to Albany, made it worth my time until I checked thier gun laws, some of the guns I own would of been ILLEGAL!

I love upstate New York, will always have a place in my heart, but you know what your getting when the state of N.Y elects carpetbagger Hillary Clinton!

Seriously, I'm not an ultra conservative, and I mean that, but guns and New York? as bad as Mass. (and I used to live there as well!).

/ Handgun Advice #29  
Joe,
You are right there about NY. I do have a full concealed carry permit. Can carry concealed any pistol, anywhere, anytime except on federal property such as in a courthouse or in a post office or in NYC. (Would have to apply for an amendment to carry in NYC) Permit lists all handguns I own. Most permits issued today (thanks to our politicians) are not full concealed carry and are limited or restricted permits. It's also a bit of a P.I.T.A. when you want to buy a pistol and you have to run back and forth from one end of the county to the other just to add one to your permit before you can take possession of it. I hear there are some states that only require you to show a drivers license, pay cash, and take possession of your gun the same day. I wish it was that simple here. Most of the handgun crimes committed in NY are done with a stolen gun or one that came from a state that only required a DL to get it and we legal permit holders take the brunt of it from the politicians who want to keep changing or adding to the handgun laws in NY making it harder for law abiding citizens when they should be enforcing the existing laws. Making it harder for law abiding citizens does not stop the criminal element from obtaining firearms.

/ Handgun Advice #30  
It's very easy in Indiana. To buy a gun of any type, you just show your ID, wait for the semi-instant background check, and go.

If you have a carry permit (obtainable from sheriff's dept.) you don't have to wait for the background check.