What does this knob do on an invisible fence ?

/ What does this knob do on an invisible fence ? #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Hey folks, I've been looking at all the various brands of invisible pet fences online. I've noticed that most of them have a dial on the front of the transmitter unit, but none explain what this dial adjusts. (this is the unit that installs in the house or garage) I'm sure somone here knows ?

Currently, I'm looking at Cabela's GS-1000, PetSafe, SportDog, Innotek, and Petronics. Also, looked into Invisible Fence brand but found that they want to come out and do the high pressure sales thing. Not interested in that.

Attachments

• 895592-junk.JPG
    895592-junk.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 602
   / What does this knob do on an invisible fence ?
Hey folks, I've been looking at all the various brands of invisible pet fences online. I've noticed that most of them have a dial on the front of the transmitter unit, but none explain what this dial adjusts. (this is the unit that installs in the house or garage) I'm sure somone here knows ?

Currently, I'm looking at Cabela's GS-1000, PetSafe, SportDog, Innotek, and Petronics. Also, looked into Invisible Fence brand but found that they want to come out and do the high pressure sales thing. Not interested in that.

/ What does this knob do on an invisible fence ? #3  
Adjusts the intensity of the "correction" probably based on the length of the wire.

/ What does this knob do on an invisible fence ? #4  
Adjusts the intensity of the "correction" probably based on the length of the wire.

/ What does this knob do on an invisible fence ? #5  
I had an Innotek 'contain and train' system for a while. The knob on that unit controlled the range of the fence. If you turned it down, the dog would get shocked only when very close to the fence. Turn it up and the shock would start further away from the fence. The only way to control the intensity of the 'correction' was to open the collar unit and make an internal adjustment there.

I would guess that is how all invisible fences work, from a safety standpoint. Imagine if some other transmitter came into range of your dog and started putting out the 'higher' intensity waves. It would shock the **** out of your dog. From a safety standpoint, linking any received waveform to the intensity of correction is a bad idea.

/ What does this knob do on an invisible fence ? #6  
I had an Innotek 'contain and train' system for a while. The knob on that unit controlled the range of the fence. If you turned it down, the dog would get shocked only when very close to the fence. Turn it up and the shock would start further away from the fence. The only way to control the intensity of the 'correction' was to open the collar unit and make an internal adjustment there.

I would guess that is how all invisible fences work, from a safety standpoint. Imagine if some other transmitter came into range of your dog and started putting out the 'higher' intensity waves. It would shock the **** out of your dog. From a safety standpoint, linking any received waveform to the intensity of correction is a bad idea.

/ What does this knob do on an invisible fence ? #7  
I have the Invisible Fence brand, and the adjustment only increases the strength of the transmitter. This keeps the dog further from the wire.

It does not increase the strength of the shock.

/ What does this knob do on an invisible fence ? #8  
I have the Invisible Fence brand, and the adjustment only increases the strength of the transmitter. This keeps the dog further from the wire.

It does not increase the strength of the shock.

/ What does this knob do on an invisible fence ? #9  
You're right guys, It does nothing for the "correction" just the intensity of the signal. I spoke before I thought /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What does this knob do on an invisible fence ? #10  
You're right guys, It does nothing for the "correction" just the intensity of the signal. I spoke before I thought /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif