Cherry Tree Log worth anything?

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #1  

JasonL

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4110
What size logs are worth something to someone?

I am clearing land for a barn and will be removing 5-6 cherry trees.

They are fairly straight and about 10"-14" diameter.

Do you think someone would ghive me something for them or should I just cut them up for firewood.

I would love to have a portable sawmill and cut them up myself, but then I'd also have to find someone with a kiln to dry them. I can't afford to spend any money now.

Any thoughts? (Also, if they are worth something, how to find someone who wants them?)

Thanks Jason

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything?
What size logs are worth something to someone?

I am clearing land for a barn and will be removing 5-6 cherry trees.

They are fairly straight and about 10"-14" diameter.

Do you think someone would ghive me something for them or should I just cut them up for firewood.

I would love to have a portable sawmill and cut them up myself, but then I'd also have to find someone with a kiln to dry them. I can't afford to spend any money now.

Any thoughts? (Also, if they are worth something, how to find someone who wants them?)

Thanks Jason

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #3  
My gut tells me they are worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Call a local word worker, fine furniture builder and see what they say. don't cut them down or do anyting until you know.
Bob

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #4  
My gut tells me they are worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Call a local word worker, fine furniture builder and see what they say. don't cut them down or do anyting until you know.
Bob

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #5  
There are some old posts regarding the value of lumber- you may try a search. For the quantity you have I doubt that a commercial operation would be interested. BUT, as a woodworker I would be very interested. I would ask around, there should be a portable sawmill operator that could help you out. If you can use the wood you could have them milled for now, stack them so they air dry and don't warp, then have the lumber down the road. Around here it would cost around $50 ro $75 to have them milled.
If the logs are of high enough quality you may have luck selling them for veneer. I'd call a local forester and ask.

Good luck

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #6  
There are some old posts regarding the value of lumber- you may try a search. For the quantity you have I doubt that a commercial operation would be interested. BUT, as a woodworker I would be very interested. I would ask around, there should be a portable sawmill operator that could help you out. If you can use the wood you could have them milled for now, stack them so they air dry and don't warp, then have the lumber down the road. Around here it would cost around $50 ro $75 to have them milled.
If the logs are of high enough quality you may have luck selling them for veneer. I'd call a local forester and ask.

Good luck

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #7  
In general saw mills require logs to be at least 12" on the small end for them to have any interest. You may find someone with a portable sawmill who can cut them up for you but keep in mind that the desirable wood in cherry is the hartwood, the outside 3 or so inches is still white and does not have the desired color, so you won't get much usable wook.

I usually sell my cherry when they reach 22 to 24 inches at 4 feet above the ground.

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #8  
In general saw mills require logs to be at least 12" on the small end for them to have any interest. You may find someone with a portable sawmill who can cut them up for you but keep in mind that the desirable wood in cherry is the hartwood, the outside 3 or so inches is still white and does not have the desired color, so you won't get much usable wook.

I usually sell my cherry when they reach 22 to 24 inches at 4 feet above the ground.

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #9  
Last weekend I used a chainsaw mill to cut up cherry tree [ 20"x8' ]. There are still some cherry logs to go that are smaller. Some of the slabs that were and will be cut come from pieces that a mill could not handle and will have natural curves in them.

Kiln dried is not required but properly stacked dry storage is a good idea.

The trees should be worth money. How much is ???

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #10  
Last weekend I used a chainsaw mill to cut up cherry tree [ 20"x8' ]. There are still some cherry logs to go that are smaller. Some of the slabs that were and will be cut come from pieces that a mill could not handle and will have natural curves in them.

Kiln dried is not required but properly stacked dry storage is a good idea.

The trees should be worth money. How much is ???

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif