Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000

Default Re: Cherry Tree Log worth anything?

Cherry wood is almost always worth something more than fire wood. If the trees are growing around houses or fence lines many sawmills do not want them because of he danger of metal, nails and other such items, in the wood.

Most areas have a county forester or Extension service who can give you names of log buyers. There are usually publications for your area posting the range of prices paid for different species of wood that a local forester can direct you to.

You can place an add in the paper, many woodworkers are looking for cherry wood for turning and furniture purposes.

You many not get rich off these logs but don't under estimate the value either.

You can air dry the wood yourself should you decide to have it milled into lumber. Cherry dries pretty good if "stuck" correctly in a dry location.

I have a portable sawmill and have milled out quite a bit of cherry and made some nice cabinites and other furniture items out of it.

Randy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000

Cherry wood is almost always worth something more than fire wood. If the trees are growing around houses or fence lines many sawmills do not want them because of he danger of metal, nails and other such items, in the wood.

Most areas have a county forester or Extension service who can give you names of log buyers. There are usually publications for your area posting the range of prices paid for different species of wood that a local forester can direct you to.

You can place an add in the paper, many woodworkers are looking for cherry wood for turning and furniture purposes.

You many not get rich off these logs but don't under estimate the value either.

You can air dry the wood yourself should you decide to have it milled into lumber. Cherry dries pretty good if "stuck" correctly in a dry location.

I have a portable sawmill and have milled out quite a bit of cherry and made some nice cabinites and other furniture items out of it.

Randy

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Mornin Jason,
    To the right person those logs are worth some money. Cherry is a beautiful wood and one of my favorites !As others have said, find a local sawyer and get those logs sawed up and sticker them properly to dry. Around here, cherry that is dried is going somewhere around $5 per board foot. After you get it dried, advertise in a local paper. If I was in your area I would be very interested. I built this entertainment cabinet out of cherry and walnut a few years ago, and enjoy it all the time [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Entertainment Cabinet

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Mornin Jason,
    To the right person those logs are worth some money. Cherry is a beautiful wood and one of my favorites !As others have said, find a local sawyer and get those logs sawed up and sticker them properly to dry. Around here, cherry that is dried is going somewhere around $5 per board foot. After you get it dried, advertise in a local paper. If I was in your area I would be very interested. I built this entertainment cabinet out of cherry and walnut a few years ago, and enjoy it all the time [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Entertainment Cabinet

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Years ago the remnants of Hurricane Floyd hit our hillside and I lost over 300 hardwood trees, mostly maple (both soft and rock) and black cherry. I hired a portable mill owner and had it converted to lumber at .15 a board foot. It was carefully end sealed, stickered and air dried in the garage with a considerable amount of weight on top. I ended up with 1800bf of 5/4 cherry and the same amount of veneer quality rock maple. Still have all the maple since my wife insists on piling her crap in front of it so I can't reach the lumber, but have used most of the cherry. It's a dream to work with!

Pete

PS: Any locals interested in some 8/4 clear rock maple boards 8 feet long and up to 11" wide, drop me a PM.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Years ago the remnants of Hurricane Floyd hit our hillside and I lost over 300 hardwood trees, mostly maple (both soft and rock) and black cherry. I hired a portable mill owner and had it converted to lumber at .15 a board foot. It was carefully end sealed, stickered and air dried in the garage with a considerable amount of weight on top. I ended up with 1800bf of 5/4 cherry and the same amount of veneer quality rock maple. Still have all the maple since my wife insists on piling her crap in front of it so I can't reach the lumber, but have used most of the cherry. It's a dream to work with!

Pete

PS: Any locals interested in some 8/4 clear rock maple boards 8 feet long and up to 11" wide, drop me a PM.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    CK20 HST

Cherry is also great for smoking meats.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    CK20 HST

Cherry is also great for smoking meats.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Call your local State or District Forestry Dept and ask for information either from a Forester or a recommendation for a business with Consulting Foresters. You will get the parameters that you will need to move forward on a decision. The trees you mention are on the small size, but that doesn't mean they don't have value. Will depend on your interest in just selling logs, or getting lumber from the logs to either keep or sell.
    Lots of ifs, ands, and buts to consider.
    A forester can answer them for you.

Go to the ForestryForum.com and pose that question, as well as look for nearby sawmills that may be interested in the logs or be able to saw them for you to get the lumber.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Call your local State or District Forestry Dept and ask for information either from a Forester or a recommendation for a business with Consulting Foresters. You will get the parameters that you will need to move forward on a decision. The trees you mention are on the small size, but that doesn't mean they don't have value. Will depend on your interest in just selling logs, or getting lumber from the logs to either keep or sell.
    Lots of ifs, ands, and buts to consider.
    A forester can answer them for you.

Go to the ForestryForum.com and pose that question, as well as look for nearby sawmills that may be interested in the logs or be able to saw them for you to get the lumber.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast