Cherry Tree Log worth anything?

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything?
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have a hobby of woodworking and cherry is my favorite species, so I know it isn't cheap to buy.

My question basically was since they are small if it was worth my time to investigate further. It sounds like it is.

I really don't have the time or money to deal with them now. How long would the logs be good if I covered them and got them off of the ground?

Haven't got any local sawmill to return my calls, so I assume they are not real interested.

We'll see..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jason

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything?
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have a hobby of woodworking and cherry is my favorite species, so I know it isn't cheap to buy.

My question basically was since they are small if it was worth my time to investigate further. It sounds like it is.

I really don't have the time or money to deal with them now. How long would the logs be good if I covered them and got them off of the ground?

Haven't got any local sawmill to return my calls, so I assume they are not real interested.

We'll see..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jason

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #23  
>>How long would the logs be good if I covered them and got them off of the ground?

The first thing to do is paint the cut ends to prevent cracking. There are products sold for this, but a lot of people just use whatever house paint is lying around. They should last a very long time if you keep them dry. It will take about 1 year per inch of thickness to dry them, so the intact logs will take a while.

The logs would certainly have some value to anyone that turns wood. for that purpose, you'd just have to saw them to managable lengths.

Mike

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #24  
>>How long would the logs be good if I covered them and got them off of the ground?

The first thing to do is paint the cut ends to prevent cracking. There are products sold for this, but a lot of people just use whatever house paint is lying around. They should last a very long time if you keep them dry. It will take about 1 year per inch of thickness to dry them, so the intact logs will take a while.

The logs would certainly have some value to anyone that turns wood. for that purpose, you'd just have to saw them to managable lengths.

Mike

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #25  
Most saw mills keep the logs wet up to sawing time. Two reasons; logs will check more than cut lumber and wet logs cut 10 times better than dry. Some folks who have the portable band saws will cut your logs for a "share" of the lumber. Either way act now or your will have firewood.

Patrick

/ Cherry Tree Log worth anything? #26  
Most saw mills keep the logs wet up to sawing time. Two reasons; logs will check more than cut lumber and wet logs cut 10 times better than dry. Some folks who have the portable band saws will cut your logs for a "share" of the lumber. Either way act now or your will have firewood.

Patrick