orkin pest control

/ orkin pest control #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
What kind of company is Orkin. I know what they do but are they trustworthy.

/ orkin pest control
What kind of company is Orkin. I know what they do but are they trustworthy.

/ orkin pest control #3  
I don't know about your area, but here, and in MS where I lived for many years, there were a lot of locally owned pest control companies who were reputable and a lot cheaper than Orkin and other nationally advertised companies.
I discovered a termite problem here last year while renovating a bathroom; the house is a conventional foundation with about 20" crawlspace. "National" companies wanted about 2K to treat the place. A local did the job for $800 and will come back annually for $100. My advise is to shop around, as they all are limited to about the same chemicals.

/ orkin pest control #4  
I don't know about your area, but here, and in MS where I lived for many years, there were a lot of locally owned pest control companies who were reputable and a lot cheaper than Orkin and other nationally advertised companies.
I discovered a termite problem here last year while renovating a bathroom; the house is a conventional foundation with about 20" crawlspace. "National" companies wanted about 2K to treat the place. A local did the job for $800 and will come back annually for $100. My advise is to shop around, as they all are limited to about the same chemicals.

/ orkin pest control #5  
I'm not sure if Orkin is a franchised company or nationally run by one owner. Probably franchised, but I just don't know. That is bound to determine what sort of LOCAL service you'd get.

I dealt with a smaller "local" pest control company for 15 years on our old house. When we found termites in the garage, they gave us 10,000 excuses, but no results. Their contract was worded in such a way as to give them an "out". Their initial bill was $700. (1986) Then there was a $100 per year "follow-up" fee. When I found the termites, we battled with the old contractor for a couple months. Then I turned that over to an attorney and brought in Terminex. They got rid of the termites at the cost of $1850, plus $75 a year henceforth. ( The legal action against the old exterminator netted a refund of all "follow-up" charges since day one, since they were found to have NOT done what they said they'd do. They are now out of business)

My experience with pest control people is that there are more con artists in this field than any business I've ever dealt with. Big national companies USUALLY have corperate standards that the small, local exterminators don't. There are good small contractors, but it's too late when you find out hey AREN'T, 20 years down the road. I like big national companies with a reputation to uphold. It's easier to hold their feet to the fire when trouble crops up.

/ orkin pest control #6  
I'm not sure if Orkin is a franchised company or nationally run by one owner. Probably franchised, but I just don't know. That is bound to determine what sort of LOCAL service you'd get.

I dealt with a smaller "local" pest control company for 15 years on our old house. When we found termites in the garage, they gave us 10,000 excuses, but no results. Their contract was worded in such a way as to give them an "out". Their initial bill was $700. (1986) Then there was a $100 per year "follow-up" fee. When I found the termites, we battled with the old contractor for a couple months. Then I turned that over to an attorney and brought in Terminex. They got rid of the termites at the cost of $1850, plus $75 a year henceforth. ( The legal action against the old exterminator netted a refund of all "follow-up" charges since day one, since they were found to have NOT done what they said they'd do. They are now out of business)

My experience with pest control people is that there are more con artists in this field than any business I've ever dealt with. Big national companies USUALLY have corperate standards that the small, local exterminators don't. There are good small contractors, but it's too late when you find out hey AREN'T, 20 years down the road. I like big national companies with a reputation to uphold. It's easier to hold their feet to the fire when trouble crops up.