My wife is divorcing me over coyotes

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #121  
If you can't keep your dog off my property, it will end up dead but how would you ever know?

If my dogs are not in the house, or in the "pen" and left to roam outside, I'm with them at all times. Chances are I'll see what happens:thumbsup:

Besides that, all of my dogs have collars and tags (contact info along with rabies).

If a strange dog ends up on your property and it has a collar and tags, and shows no "forward" aggression towards you or your animals and you shoot the dog just for the sake of shooting it, your a sad case for a human being.

As for people that LET them run loose, well there is no excuse. I once had the county bring out a dog trap to try and catch one that was loose. We had the trap for a week and caught a dog every single night. The ones that could be identified the owners had to pay a fine to get them back. The others, well a few days at the pound and if not claimed they were euthanized. Hate that dogs have to pay the price for stupid owners.

The problem is that people who don't care about their pets and let them roam without supervision just get another dog when theirs goes missing (or hit out on the road). This becomes an endless cycle. Personally, I've found an interesting relationship with these type of people and the type of families they raise.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #122  
...you shoot the dog just for the sake of shooting it, your a sad case for a human being.
++2.... I've had a few dogs passing through... they were on a mission. Definitly someone's dog...

I also have coyotes that go call wildly at night... was afraid of them until I read this post. Had planned on shoot them if I see them but not now... (as long as they are small ;))

Last edited:
   / My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #123  
I also have coyotes that go call wildly at night... was afraid of them until I read this post. Had planned on shoot them if I see them but not now... not ever.

A couple of weeks ago driving on a rural road in NW North Carolina going into Virginia. Drove by a pasture at 0730 to see a guy, and I see what I thought were two huge white looking German Shepherds about 20 meters off a lone bull. I backed up thinking to myself what did I just see. As I slowly backed up, honestly, I didn't realize that coyotes got so big. They were just staring down the bull as they saw me come into view off the road. They (coyotes) took off. I don't own livestock, but with the size of those coyotes, I don't think I'd have a problem taking them "down" if I came across them on my property (as I've never seen any around my house). At least with these two I saw, no domesticated dog would stand a chance IMO let alone an unarmed man. Not saying that taking any animal down just for the sake of taking it down is right, but fear can be a powerful motivator. Then again if I owned that bull I saw looking at those two coytoes, I'd be taking those two coyotes down.

Ironic, we have a guy with 8 posts to blame for reviving an out of date thread:D:thumbsup:

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #124  
Ironic, we have a guy with 8 posts to blame for reviving an out of date thread:D:thumbsup:
I guess I don't have a problem with this since I missed it the first time around :D also, it's usually someone new that does it.

PS. I changed the end of the last post :p

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #126  
If a strange dog ends up on your property and it has a collar and tags, and shows no "forward" aggression towards you or your animals and you shoot the dog just for the sake of shooting it, your a sad case for a human being.

My thoughts also.:thumbsup:

The collar and tags may be an issue though, I agree ALL dogs should be collared and tagged and of course that is the law in many places. But dogs have also been known to pull out of a collar as part of their escape.
That starts the whole debate of whether it is ethical to leave a dog tied up rather than penned. The largest animal rescue group here will not adopt out a dog to someone who plans to tie it up. I tend to agree.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #127  
If my dogs are not in the house, or in the "pen" and left to roam outside, I'm with them at all times. Chances are I'll see what happens:thumbsup:

Well that just makes it worse, you are there with your dog on my property ?? :confused:

Collars and tags makes no difference, loose dogs kill livestock. Just because the owner doesn't know it doesn't mean it aint true.

One of my neighbours has lost alot of sheep, all killed by dogs. Another neighbour has had his cattle bitten and attacked while they are calving. A fellow just down the road from me lost 14 calves this season to dog attacks.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #128  
Well that just makes it worse, you are there with your dog on my property ?? :confused:

Apparently you don't get it.

My dogs are MY responsibility.

No, they will not be on your property, but if by chance you're a neighbor of mine, and I'm out back taking the dogs for a walk, and one gets whiff of a rabbit and takes off and ends up on your property, knowing my dogs, along with them having a collar and their tags (along with contact info), if you do kill one I sincerely hope you have a reason to do so other than "it's just a dog".

For myself, an animal is just an animal, be it four or two legs.

One of my neighbours has lost alot of sheep, all killed by dogs. Another neighbour has had his cattle bitten and attacked while they are calving. A fellow just down the road from me lost 14 calves this season to dog attacks.

For the record, if I saw a dog killing livestock, I'd have no reservations to shoot it myself, even if the dog belonged to me.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #129  
Last night I got a call just after dark from a neighbor to the east across the state hiway advising me that he had one of my LGD Anatolian Shepherds. (livestock guard dogs) We jumped in the truck, hurried down the mountain, and paid the neighbor a visit. It was NOT one of our 3 LGDs or 2 Border Collies..............Turns out it was a neighbor to the east or in back of him..........

Ok, now the coyote/dog situation.........We are totally over run with the durn coyotes. It is said by the locals that hang out down at the store drinkin their morning coffee that the state wildlife guys let out a bunch of the coyotes here by me several years ago. They released 2 pair and now we have what sounds like 15 to 20 or at least 2 packs...........

Last night while getting some firewood for the stove at perhaps 10PM heard the "gathering" calls of MANY MANY; but from 2 different areas perhaps 1 mile apart. At 3 AM due to old man's bladder I stepped outside again to get a piece of wood and heard a "weird" bunch of calls/howls spread out over a couple of miles down in the creek bottom........Yes, every dog in the valley was also carrying on; but these were definately coyotes over a huge range "singing" a type of howl that I had never heard.................

OK........YES, we are over run and we are right in the middle of it.............We are pretty much surrounded by dense old growth forest, about 90 percent of the land use within 2 miles and the rest farm acreage...........LOTS of critter habitat........

NOW.......the dog/coyote problem.......The dog we were called on last night, we took back to the owner. Turns out he has 3 LGDs that he allows to run loose. (Great Pyrenese) Often when I go out to get firewood or call my dogs at night I hear them barking over on the other side of the valley, perhaps 1/2 mile away.............At least NOW I KNOW where they live. In the past several months we have been getting reports from my immediate neighbors that they are seeing MY LGDs in their yards and pastures.......WHAT????.......they are always in their pastures in the mornings and belive YOU, me that LGDs are to dumb once they are out to get back into a fenceline. They end up on my front porch with the BCs...............A couple of neighbors have advised me that they will NOT abide them in with their cattle and will take care of them.......OK as I would if I caught them with my livestock.................

In the past couple of months have caught these 3 dogs in my game camera by my feeders.........so yes, they are on my property, my neighbors are confusing them for my dogs, and obviously running loose, they are NOT taking care of the coyote situation witnessed by hearing so many of them last night smack dab in the middle of the 3 dog's range/home...................

The coyotes and fox situation is NOT out of hand.......Yes, we have very few stray dogs and cats..........We still have a HEALTHY deer population though a bit diminished from past years, rabbits are still showing up as road kill, tree rats (grey squirrels) are totally aundent, and the ground squirrels (chipmunks) are in hiding.............I perhaps SEE a coyote once or twice a year......I capture a picture of them at night perhaps twice or so a week.................Do they threaten ME????.........NO..........During kidding season we make sure that the electric fences are in order and the kids are safe in the barn at night......Our 3 LGDs are right there with them and in 12 years and perhaps 500 kids have had NO losses to coyotes that are right there outside the fenceline. Actually, I worry more about the vultures that abound around here swoopin in and carrying one off.

DOGS are much more of a pest and problem as these 3 LGDs are examples of..........they are allowed to run loose, not doing what they are touted to do, eliminate predators for a mile or so, and causing problems for a mile or so away with neighbors..........

WILL THE 3 S rule apply?????................Yes, but sure not gonna talk about it........God bless......Dennis

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #130  
Always amusing to read these here stories of 60 pound coyotes and coyotes taking down bulls. [smile]