Buying Vehicles Below Invoice

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
I know you think this is spam and Dan is selling cars for a living! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ................

Nope but I learned some things this week on http:// [url]www.ford-diesel.com [/url] and figured I should pass it on to TBN. Especially with the thread that started about buying a diesel or gas burner....

Ford has a program to sell vehicles UNDER invoice. The actually have three plans, A, X and I think Z. I don't know what the Z plan is about. The A plan it the price that Ford employees get when buying a Ford product. The X Plan is 4% more than the A Plan. The X Plan works out to a a few hundred dollars under invoice. I have heard about 1.5%.

Here is how this works. First you have to be a member of some company or organization that participates in the X Plan. There is a website at Ford that one has to go to with a special number that is specific to the organization that is participating in the plan. With this number you generate a PIN. You take the numbers to a participating dealer, pick out a vehicle, they show you the X-Plan price, and you are done. This is only for new cars. You have to work out trade ins and such with the dealer.

I got lucky and found out my company participates in this plan. If you search for X-Plan and EAA on the above website you can find out far more information especially on joining an organization that is participating in the plan.

I don't know if other brands have such a program. Maybe someone else knows...

Since I'm looking at a Ford its a good deal! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The special prizes are for all Ford brands such as Lincoln, Mercury, Mazada, Range Rover, Volvo and even Jaguar. The price mechanism seems to be different on the "foreign" brands but I have not dug deeply into those prices. I need a truck! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I have not tried to buy under the plan as of yet but I'm getting close. There seems to be lots of people buying on the Ford-Diesel site and they seem satisfied. Some of the seem to be buying the trucks from a dealer in CA since he has a presence on the website. Kinda like Carver. The guy will ship the vehicle anywhere in the US.

BTW, the ford-diesel site has lots of information about Ford trucks and seems to be a friendly and informative as TBN. I think CowBoyDoc mentioned this site once or twice and it is a good one if you are looking at Ford trucks. Lots of great information.

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

NOTE: I just found out that my company has a similar program with GM. I have not looked at the GM but it sounds like the Ford X Plan.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by dmccarty on 11/29/01 03:52 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice #2  
Dan;

I went to that site - searched for "x-plan" and "eaa" and nothing came up relative to this program that you describe.

Can you give the exact link to the spot where you found it?

Thanks.

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice
snowman,

Check under the "Ordering Information" Thread.

I used to think the the Ford Diesel site did not have much traffic. But then I noticed that they have a box that defaults to show only the last five days worth of messages. If you changed that to show all there are a huge number of conversations. I think their search function might default to search only for the short period of time.

The first three or four pages, they have 43 pages under "Ordering Information" has a few conversations about the X Plan and EAA. EAA is the Experimental Aircraft Association or some such. So you might see conversations about aircraft and such...

Later...
Dan McCarty

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice #4  
With information that I dug up on the net, I was able to buy a loaded '01 Dodge Cummins 3500 4x4 HO 6sp for sightly less than invoice. That was even with a V-10 as a trade in. There are websites that tell what the dealers pay for the vehicles, which is usually list, but then the factories rebate the dealers back a certain percentage, I think it ranged from 4 to 7%. They stated that with the dealer rebates and rolling customer rebates back to the dealer as part of the deal, a dealer can easily pay all overhead, commissions and still have a profit. Armed with this knowledge, I got the exact deal that I wanted, just took two hours of negotiating. "If you guys don't want to do this deal, the dealer down the street probably will.""I already explained it to you that you will still make money if you do this deal."

For Dodge diesel fans there is the Turbo Diesel Registry

18-82877-avatar.jpg

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice
One can always try to negotiate a deal with any dealer. And one might get to the invoice price or there abouts. The way the X Plan works is that there is no negotiation. The price is there and there is no haggling for hours to get near invoice. The price is already below invoice.

Even with the X plan price the deal is making 4% over what was called "Dealer net." The X plan looks to be about 1.5% below the Invoice price. So the dealer is making some money just not as much.

Also what is invoice? I have looked at quite a few websites and the nonFord websites are not very accurate. They list prices that do not match the vehicle stickers. Ford is accurate though! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Later...
Dan McCarty

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice #6  
My company also participates in the X-plan. We recently tried to buy a Ford Explorer through it. Yeah, the price they came back with was decent but not great. I've made better deals on my own - always GM though. Then on top of this fact because the X-plan price was "so low" they didn't want to give me anything for trade-in. I guess I'll keep driving the Accord/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif awhile longer while my wife drives my Silverado /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. Damn I want out of this lease, Hondas hold their value until you go to trade them in - of course, I guess this goes for all vehicles. They get you coming and going on cars.....

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice #7  
In August I bought a 2001 Yukon XL for $750 under invoice. With a $1500 rebate and another $1000 credit for Ford pickup owners it ended up $3250 under invoice. The price was $35,000 and I think the sticker was about $44K. No trade-in, and got 5.9% financing (could have gotten 2.9% in place of the $1000 rebate).

Alan L., TX
South of Bugtussle
North of Mustang
On the banks of Buck Creek

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice #8  
Did you not like the V-10 engine?

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice #9  
'Z' plan is same as 'A' plan except it is for retirees.
'X' plan can be obtained for you by any ford employee or retiree. The plan has been around for a long time.. it used to be just for company execs. and other important people.

/ Buying Vehicles Below Invoice #10  
"Did you not like the V-10 engine?"

Ummm, actually I loved that V-10. The truck was an auto with 4.10's. It outpulls the H.O. Cummins 6spd with 4.10's that I have now. Faster on the flats and up the hills. The V-10 got 13-14 mpg empty and 8-10 mpg towing in the hills. The typical load towing was packing a 11'6" Caribou camper that weighs almost 4000lbs loaded and towing a 17' enclosed trailer with two snowmobiles or two sportbikes (depending on the time of the year) for a tow weight of almost 5000lbs. It is the only rig I have had to use the brakes on going up steep hills to slow for corners. :)

That heavy (but roomy) camper really needed to go on a dually. I kicked around the idea of doing an Arrowcraft conversion, but as fuel continued to rise in price, I began considering trading in for another diesel. I didn't think I would be able to afford one because I was not going to pay 40K for a truck. I wound up getting a loaded 4x4 dually for 32k. Couldn't pass that deal up!

I do really like the quad cab on the dually, the V-10 was extended cab w/o the rear doors,'97. That 6spd is great behind the Cummins and tows very smoothly, especially important when towing the horses. The Dually is getting 15mpg empty and 13 towing with 4k miles on it. It should improve as it get broke in.

Things I miss about the V-10:
Instant accelleration, no waiting to build boost.
Automatic tranny in traffic jams.
Listening to classical music while driving.
Looking at the faces of diesel owners as I pass them on the hills.

Don't believe anyone that tells you gas engines can't move the weight. I've towed with Ford 460's, Dodge 440's and 488's. Just get 4.11 gears and an overdrive transmission. If it's an auto, run the largest tranny cooler you can get along with a trans temp guage. The only down fall is 8 to 10 mpg. I have not owned a Chevy, but I'm sure results are the same.

Sucks, now that I have a diesel, fuel is cheap again.

18-82877-avatar.jpg