Your method of Cleaning up fence rows

/ Your method of Cleaning up fence rows #1  

goodoleboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Still looking since thats half the fun!
How do you all do it..Brush mower, Roundup or weedwacker?

I

/ Your method of Cleaning up fence rows #2  
Mow as close as I can with the rotary cutter and then round up. Also have to do some manual work to get vines off the electric fence. Sometimes a quick spot hit with a string trimmer.

/ Your method of Cleaning up fence rows #3  
My farmer friend rents one of our fields for growing crops. I mow aound the field with my big mower every two weeks. In the fall he runs his brush hog right close to the wall. Then every few years he and his son will trim out the larger trees with chainsaws that the brush hog missed.

/ Your method of Cleaning up fence rows #4  
If I want it "clean" I wait till after the hard frost and throw a match in it.
If I want it trimmed I mow as close as I can with a bushhog, if it needs tree limbs cut out I use a polesaw, if it needs sprayed I srpay it and if it has Russian Olives it gets it all!

PS: My Stihl FS 76 weedeater with the brushcutter saw blade on it works wonders on fledgling russian olives!

/ Your method of Cleaning up fence rows #5  
What's a Russian Olive?

Eddie

/ Your method of Cleaning up fence rows #6  
Two or more goats do all of the above............original cost is maybe $35 each.........if you have a Latino population around put up a sign that they are for sale........... after a few months of cleaning up your land they will sell for at least $100 each.........

/ Your method of Cleaning up fence rows #7  
EddieWalker said:
What's a Russian Olive?

Eddie

Eddie,

Russian Olives are a nonnative (i.e. from Russia) invasive shrub/small tree that is often planted as part of windbreaks or for privacy screens because they grow very thick, very fast and are very tough, weather-tolerant plants...

Problem is that they spread and take over, very much like Kudzu, Mimosa, or other non-native plants that people have planted. Here's some more info:

Russian Olive

As you can see by the following description from a nursery, it is still widely sold and 'touted" as a windbreak/screening tree:

Greenwood Nursery

/ Your method of Cleaning up fence rows #8  
goodoleboy said:
How do you all do it..Brush mower, Roundup or weedwacker?

I

My friend and I have been clearing his fencerows and woods using my Power Trac PT-425 with minihoe and thumb. So far, we've cleared about 700 yards of fencerows and 2-3 acres of woods where hedgebushes had overtaken them. When the soil is moist, you can pull out up to 2" - 2.5" hedges by the roots, using the thumb:

Pulling a hedge out by the roots

If the soil is drier, making them harder to pull, or if you need to clear out in/underneath the bottom run of barbed wire, we just pin the thumb back, put this little 9" bucket through under the fence, and use the bucket curl to "scratch" the shrub out, then gather them and pile it. It's more time-consuming than using the rough-cutter, but it's also a much more permanent solution, since you pull out most of the roots. Once cleared, we'll use the rough-cutter to maintain the area.

Gathering a few for the burn pile

Piling it up to burn

/ Your method of Cleaning up fence rows #9  
EddieWalker said:
What's a Russian Olive?

Eddie

A major pain in the ass if they're too big for a bushhog!