Septic sand mound....is it ok to....?

/ Septic sand mound....is it ok to....? #1  

ratter

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1540
Our septic system is of the 'sand mound' type (apologies if there are other/better names for it that I'm not familiar with). As you can imagine or as some of you may know, the mount sits out there in the yard, grass grows on it, and it's a pain in the rear to mow.

Simply put, I'm tired of mowing it.

What else can I do without harming the system? Can I scatter 'wildflower' seeds over it and just let those grow, and maybe cut it down once a year?

Any other ideas?

Also, mine is not a very neat/symmetrical/nicely shaped mound. It's quite rutty and uneven, making it that much more of a chore. Is this a problem?

Many thanks in advance...
-Mike

/ Septic sand mound....is it ok to....? #2  
Check to see if you have a sanitary permit for the mound. In many states this permit will spell out exactly what you can or can not do with the mound of a mound system. One thing to worry about is root intrusion plugging the system. If that happens, your system fails and must be redone according to the latest codes. At least thats the way it is in WI. What you want to plant may not be a problem but check it out. Why plant anything special? Just mow the grass once a year. We have a hill we don't mow at all. The tall grass has crowded out all the weeds.

/ Septic sand mound....is it ok to....? #3  
Wildflowers would thrive on it. I would put a low type of ground cover on it. It will grow every year and spread all over your mound. The roots are not that deep and would do well on it.

/ Septic sand mound....is it ok to....?
Thanks for the input guys. Any particular type of ground cover you'd recommend? I'm horticulturally-challenged...

I did the no-mowing thing last year. I'd be fine with that approach, but the thing is so close to the house and road that it was a real eyesore...

/ Septic sand mound....is it ok to....? #5  
I put 2-3" of top soil on it and grew grass,

/ Septic sand mound....is it ok to....? #6  
Look for a low height variety of Sedum. Also try some Snow on the Mountain. That spreads like crazy and is very pretty. google them both for pictures.

/ Septic sand mound....is it ok to....?
JimR said:
Look for a low height variety of Sedum. Also try some Snow on the Mountain. That spreads like crazy and is very pretty. google them both for pictures.

Thanks!