My hardest assignment ever

/ My hardest assignment ever
Thanks guys.I'm starting to believe I can do it.I did quit once for a year when I was in my late 20's.Smokers really stink?.I am down to 1/2 pak a day now from about 2 but even this takes constant effort on my part.Sitting at the computer is my biggest problem, could stick my fingers in the usb ports I guess.Thanks a lot for your support.Guess I'll have to now.

Lately I have been using the clock method.My first butt at 6am, then every two hours thereafter.Driving me nuts!I can already feel a difference in breathing.Did any of you feel or breathe better after you quit.I would think so but some people I have talked to that have quit say they feel no better.I will miss stopping on the tractor, looking around and lighting a cigarette.

Farmwithjunk,
I did quit the booze thing also.It was one year in june after 30 years.I still have the bar stocked for friends.The ones that still come around.

/ My hardest assignment ever #14  
bones1 said:
I have to do it this time. Anyone have any tips, ideas or stories on how to quit smoking.How you did it etc?
Thanks for any ideas.

I quit about a dozen times before the last time. Every time I quit, I would start back with cigars (no inhaling - right :rolleyes: ) or a pipe until I was back to my pack a day habit. Here's how you can quit for sure - it worked for me!

1 - Get really sick with a respiratory infection so that you can barely breathe. Stay that way for about a week. That gets the nicotine out of your system. You'll also lose about 15 pounds if you're sick enough.

2 - Shave off your beard that you've been hiding behind for 10 years.

3 - Throw away your coke-bottle lens glasses and get contact lenses.

4 - Ten days later, go back to work and no one will recognize you. Not smoking will be just one of the big changes you've made, now that you've shed the weight, the beard and the glasses.

I can truthfully say that after smoking for 20 years and trying to quit for 10, I have never wanted a cigarette for the last 20 years. Oh, but I did gain back the weight. :D

/ My hardest assignment ever #15  
Of all the folks I know who have managed to quit, it seems the "want to" motivation is the only thing that's really important. If you're ready, you can succeed. I watched my brother go thru two years of cancer treatments in his early 30's, then when he'd get out of his debilitating chemo sessions, first thing he'd do is light one up!

It took a few more years for him to see the light, but he's managed to quit and stay quit - he also gained about 50 lbs, I don't know which is worse........., but the good news is he's still with us, and a lot happier guy to boot :)

We'll all be pulling for you, let us know how you get on, even if you don't make it at first, OK?

BillG_in_TX said:
I quit about a dozen times before the last time. Every time I quit, I would start back with cigars (no inhaling - right :rolleyes: ) or a pipe until I was back to my pack a day habit. Here's how you can quit for sure - it worked for me!

1 - Get really sick with a respiratory infection so that you can barely breathe. Stay that way for about a week. That gets the nicotine out of your system. You'll also lose about 15 pounds if you're sick enough.

2 - Shave off your beard that you've been hiding behind for 10 years.

3 - Throw away your coke-bottle lens glasses and get contact lenses.

4 - Ten days later, go back to work and no one will recognize you. Not smoking will be just one of the big changes you've made, now that you've shed the weight, the beard and the glasses.

I can truthfully say that after smoking for 20 years and trying to quit for 10, I have never wanted a cigarette for the last 20 years. Oh, but I did gain back the weight. :D

Uncanny. I am in the second week of a bad respiratory infection and thats the reason it's time to quit.I also have a beard.

/ My hardest assignment ever #17  
This worked for me, it may not for everyone. Think of someone you can't stand-that has quit smoking. Then remind yourself that you are better than that person and they quit smoking. It will give you strength to continue with quitting. It worked for me.

/ My hardest assignment ever #18  
bones1 said:
Farmwithjunk,
I did quit the booze thing also.It was one year in june after 30 years.I still have the bar stocked for friends.The ones that still come around.

Proof positive that you can quit what you KNOW you need to quit.

And ain't it funny how some people who CLAIM to be friends, just can't handle it when you step up from the depths of self destruction.

YOU CAN DO IT! You WILL do it!

/ My hardest assignment ever #19  
Well I quite smoking on January 19 th 2006 . I wouldnt recommend doing it this way but I had a heart attack with double bypass, quite cold turkey. I knew I should have quit sooner but!!!! Well now I feel better and have NO desire for another cigarette, now to convince my wife !

/ My hardest assignment ever #20  
i have quit smoking many times. i got into a routine where i would smoke for 6 months then quit for six months. this past year i havent smoked.
i stop smoking by starting out getting through each hour without a cigarette. i say to myself that i was able to get through the last hour without one so i can get through this hour. the first couple of days are the most difficult. so after a while it changes to i got through this morning without one so i can get through this afternoon too. if i think of it in a long term way it doesnt work for me.
and try to stay away from others who smoke and are only too happy to share their cigarettes.