My hardest assignment ever

/ My hardest assignment ever #31  
bones,

Good luck to you. I quit June of 2003. I loved smoking, I really enjoyed it but when they jacked up the price of the cigs and we were going to buy the olive farm I jsut sat in the parking lot at Walgreens and thought about not buying the carton of cigs I was planning on buying and instead bought the patch. I moved form the patch to the gum. Of which I still do chew, but I don't beat myself up over it. I figure I smoked for 35 years, if I chew the gum for a few years it is still better than smoking.

Only 2 things helped me besides the gum/patch.
One was prayer, I would simply pray for help when the urge to run out and buy a pack or bum a cig was very strong.

The second was running. Especially early on. When the cravings were strong I would run until I was exhaused. I had to actually leave some meetings at work and go run behind a building in the parking lot. I would run the craving right out of my system, at least for a while. Now smoking for 35 years I didn't have much lung power to run, but I did it anyway. The exhaustion of running even for 5 or 7 minutes really removed the craving. The good news is I only had to run a couple of weeks, perhaps 2 or 3.
in summary
-running
-prayer
Just don't ever take another puff- ever.

/ My hardest assignment ever #32  
I spend a lot of time sitting in my car outside the hospital where my wife is a nurse, waiting for her to get off work. If you want a real boost to your determination to quit smoking, that can be a great place to get it. Watching all those obviously ill people drag themselves outside to smoke, no matter the weather, really brings home the addictive nature of the habit. They'll come out in wheelchairs, pulling their IV poles along, with their catheter bags hanging off the chair, and as soon as they get out the door, they light up. I've seen them with oxygen tanks on the chairs and nasal canulas. I bet many of them have COPD (cronic obstructive pulmonary disease), and they keep sucking on those things. They often meet family members who also pull out the cancer sticks as soon as they get out the door of the hospital. I try to park as far from the smoking shelter as I can, because the clouds can get thick.

Good luck stopping. Choking to death has to be a lousy way to go.

Chuck

/ My hardest assignment ever #33  
I started smoking a pipe shortly before I turned 19, and yes, I inhaled it and kept it lit most of the time for a little over 5 years. Then when I was 24 and joined the police department, I changed to cigarettes (ash trays in the police sedans were too small to put my pipe in them, and we had no air-conditioning so driving with all the windows open was risky with a pipe - the wind would blow sparks out of it:eek: ). So for many years now, I've smoked a couple of packs a day, and occasionally even more.

Quite frankly, I don't believe smoking causes all the problems that the "experts" tell us it causes, simply because all my personal experience has been quite the contrary. Both my Dad and his dad lived to be 80 years old; actually Dad lived about 4 months longer than his dad did. Dad smoked all his life and his dad never smoked. My paternal grandmother, who never smoked and was adamantly against smoking, died a very painful death from lung cancer at the age of 73. My mother never smoked, but since her husband did and her dad did, she was exposed to "second hand" smoke all her life and lived to be 85 (no one else on either side of the family has lived that long). I could give you a lot more examples, but know that nearly everyone would disagree with my opinion on this matter.;)

So I would not quit smoking for health reasons; however . . ., it's expensive and getting more so all the time, and it's a dirty habit . . . so . . . the evening of the 11th (10 days ago) I smoked the last cigarette in the pack I had in my pocket and just have not opened another pack since. As for the nicotine addiction; maybe so, though I'm not so sure. I didn't feel all that great the first day (the 12th), but otherwise I can't tell there's any physical need. Psychological? Certainly. I've caught myself reaching for my pocket only to find there's nothing there.:D

My wife says she wants to quit, but so far all she's done is quit smoking in the house. She goes out on the patio (which I wouldn't do in this heat) 10 or 15 times a day for a smoke.:(

Will I stay quit? I don't know, but probably will, just because it gripes me to pay the kind of taxes they put on tobacco now-a-days. I told my youngest daughter that after 47 years, I just decided I might ought to quit before it became a real habit.:D

My wife's surgeon recently quit smoking, after trying to quit for several years. He finally went for hypnosis and says that worked for him.

/ My hardest assignment ever #34  
Rox,

I quit several years ago with the gum and quit it too soon. I was back on cigarettes within a month or so. This time I'm using the gum as long as it takes. Couple pieces a day isn't going to kill me. Besides, the affect of the gum last minutes, but I can chew a piece for 2 to 3 hours and don't even think about cigarettes.

bones1,

Do whatever it takes, just don't smoke! And don't worry what others might say about using a "crutch"! More people stay quit using the aids than those who go cold turkery!

/ My hardest assignment ever #35  
Good for you!!!You will never regret not smoking.You may have regrets if you don't quit.All the advice on these pages is good.you will get much support here ,and it's important to know that others care .I used The American Cancer Society's program which was basically a tapering off system.Eventually though it's a matter of cold turkey.Even one butt a day is hard to stop!!!!!!It's a big change in lifestyle,so it's a good time to try something new .Tai Chi ,Yoga.meditation,horse back riding,anything you've always wanted to do.[You'll have extra money to do it]Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.we'll be watching.

/ My hardest assignment ever #36  
Sometimes you need a little prodding to get motivated.

Two years ago, on what was a beautiful April day, my brother broke the news to me that he had been diagnosed with kidney cancer. He had smoked for over 20 years.

Later that same week, I was blessed with the birth of my first child. I sat there marveling at the miracle of life and what it means to be a parent. I prayed that I'd be able to give her the life she deserves, to always be there for her, to help me teach her what she needs to know and to guide her through lifes most important lessons.

While I sat there with tears in my eyes looking at my daughter and planning our life together, my brother a thousand miles away, looked at his own 13 year old daughter with his own tear filled eyes. Only his tears and prayers were different.

I quit dipping Copenhagen that week. A scourge that had invaded my life and threatened my well being for over 20 years had finally come to an end. There was no way I was going to let it rob a single minute from my life with my daughter.

I laid my brother to rest in February after a 2 year battle due to the ravages of smoking. He left a daughter and family in ruins.

/ My hardest assignment ever #37  
I'm hard on smokers.

It's kinds sorta like the evangelist that was a hellion on earth before he got religion. Same principle, I was once an addict. I smoked three to four packs of Chesterfield Kings a day, non-filters.

I've been clean for about twenty one years.

For me quitting was easy. I'd reached a point in my life where I was ready to quit and so I did.

It all boils down to when not wanting to be an addict is a stronger force than the addiction. Until one reaches that point then one has a heckuva battle to fight. But when one reaches the point where quitting is more attractive for whatever reason then it's a doable deal.

As for the hazards of smoking, I think that's different for every individual. Some people are highly allergic to Poison Ivy. My youngest daughter can break out if she thinks about Poison Ivy. I can have open cuts on my hands and arms and bathe in it with impunity. My brother is almost as bad about an allergic reaction to it as my daughter. My mother was every bit as bad. My father is like me.

Some people can get cancer from second hand smoke. Others can smoke their whole lives without their lung damage from smoke becoming cancer.

What we have to do is decide if we're willing to take that chance with the lives of those around us. Again, my youngest daughter and Poison Ivy, I could very well have a grandson or granddaughter that has a weakness for tobacco smoke induced lung cancer even though I seem to be as healthy as horse even after all the years that I smoked heavily.

The best advice I ever heard about quitting involved the fact that the urge only lasted so many seconds. So when you're quitting all you have to do is outlast that urge for that amount of seconds. Then it's okay until the next urge comes up. Over time the urges come less frequently. And take it from me, after that cigarette smoke will make you ill and quitting is not a problem.

At first I used sugarless gum and then I went to sunflower seeds. But for many years now I've chewed tooth picks. I'll go through periods where I won't chew toothpicks at all and then other times I'll seem to have always one in my mouth.

If someone comments about the toothpicks I usually tell them they beat the heck out of the taste of Metamusil and a man my age does need his fiber.

/ My hardest assignment ever #38  
I smoked cigarettes, pipes, cigars from sometime in the late '50's until 1999 although I "quit" twice for about a year each before restarting after "bumming one" at a party. When I finally quit I did it for my fiancee and her daughter who are both mild asthmatics, and thereby indirectly for me (since I got them as a reward when I wouldn't otherwise). I've read all the posts in this thread and everything that was pertinent to me has already been mentioned by someone else, EXCEPT:

I got a doctor's help. Zyban was a fairly new prescription drug then and I'd heard Wellbutrin, the anti-depressant, was a lower-cost, and sometimes more effective, alternative. I asked my PCP for a prescription for Wellbutrin which he gave me along with instructions to use it like his nurse said. And here's what she said: First, she asked me when I wanted to quit after indicating that my answer could be in the range of a week to a month or so. When I said a date which was by chance 22 days away, she wrote the RX quantity for 29 pills of Wellbutrin. I was to take two pills a day for the first seven days and then one pill a day until my target date when the pill supply was exhausted. During the period I was to smoke as usual, and my habit was a little less than a pack a day on average. When the last pill was taken was when I was supposed to quit smoking.

And that's the way it went. Sometime in there I quit *wanting* cigarettes, and it made all the difference. I've never lit another cigarette, or bummed a "drag" or anything similar. It worked. I've been a non-smoker for more than seven years. My current doctor tells me that I have "super normal" lung and breathing capacity. I blew into my stepdaughter's flowmeter and broke it by pegging it so hard -- had to get another for her.

Don't rely on good luck. WANT it!

/ My hardest assignment ever #39  
bones1 said:
I have to do it this time. Anyone have any tips, ideas or stories on how to quit smoking.How you did it etc?
Thanks for any ideas.

My addition to others great advice. Here is a little psychological motivation.

1. GET MAD! VERY MAD!!! Put it in your mind that you will not be a friggen SLAVE to huge corporations whose goal it is, to seperate people from their money regardless of whether or not it kills you, your children, other people, their children. They don't care. Not in the slightest. In fact, they spend millions trying to hide it. It seems less so now, because they've decided to focus on lesser educated parts of the world while the smoke clears (pardon the pun) from the lawsuits.

2. Put it in your mind that you will not be a friggen SLAVE to politicians who levy HUGE taxes on cigarettes and redistribute it (to buy votes) in a myriad of social programs that you should not be forced to fund.

3. Open a money market fund (emigrant direct is paying 5%). It is basically a high interest savings account FDIC insured etc. Faithfully deposit the money you would have spent on cigaretts. It will be more fun than counting how many days months or years it has been. Pack a day for 5 years should show $5,000 or so! Fun to watch.

Good luck brother. Don't give up. PM any of us for encouragement. You've found a pretty unique group of folks here at TBN. Refer to number one above. I'm pizzed as he!! just thinking of it!

/ My hardest assignment ever #40  
Just stop. Don't finish the last pack. You will be a non smoker from the moment you took your last puff. The first three days are the hardest.