Looking for best way to patch metal roof

/ Looking for best way to patch metal roof #1  

stevenf

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000
We live in a 200 year old caretakers cabin which has a corrugated rust and galvanized metal roof needless to say the right thing to do would be to reroof it but $12,000 is about $11,500 outside of my budget so I need to repair it so it doesn't leak. So far I stopped at HD last night and picked up 4 tubes of metal roof and gutter type caulk, some roofing nails with neoprene washers and a stiff wire brush. Before I tie myself up on the 8/12 pitch metal roof in our mild 105 degree Texas summer and start wire brushing old nail holes and seams and applying caulk can anybody think of anthing I'm going to wish I had to proceed with some degree of success. If it ever rains again I'd like to be prepared a little better then the 20 or so buckets placed strategically around the house.
Thanks
Steve

/ Looking for best way to patch metal roof #2  
HI STEVE,
You already know it needs to be replaced,the price seams a bit high,im betting that includes labor.
I would go get a 5 gallon bucket of roof tar and wind it right to it.It might look like crap,but it might be the temporary fix your looking for to get you by.
ALAN

/ Looking for best way to patch metal roof
escavader, the price does include labor plus we are betting that some of the rafters will have to be replaced as well. I looked at the 5 gallon buckets and I've used the tar on asphalt roofs as a quick fix during a storm but and your going to laugh before we bought the ranch the cabin was used as a hunters cabin most recently and apparently they or their kids shot numerous holes in the roof with a 22 from the looks of the holes from the attic crawl space because they are nowhere near a rafter. The same hunters group apparently added on a living room of sorts to the cabin and used different thicknesses of plywood for the floor and then put carpet over it and glued it down so after numerous years the carpet shows 4' x 8' rectangles at varying heights and the walls have no studs in that room its 14' x 25' and not one stud or upright except the corners it looks like they built a pole porch and then attached metal to the outside and T-111 to the inside by just nailing it onto the floor plate and the ceiling plate its wonerful.
Steve

/ Looking for best way to patch metal roof #5  
stevenf, I will tell you my experience... maybe some of it will apply to your situation.

We build our house 20+ years ago and I got a metal roof because I wanted it to "last".

Well, the idiots that screwed the roofing down put the screws (yes, built for the purpose with washers under the heads) in the VALLEY of the material, not the PEAK of the corrugations. Corrugations are flat on top. I was distressed at the time but was assured that "that is the way it is done." Bull.... I've visited numerous countries in latin american rain forests... THERE they are smart... put the screws on top of the corrugations, not the bottom. As a result in our case, as the screws backed out of the underlying wood because of heat/cold/time, they began to leak. Lots of leaks.

I've tried several times to resolve the problem with repairs rather than replacement. So far, I've had to go over the roof 3 times, several years apart, removing loose screws, filling the underlying hole with black roofing caulk, then reinserting the screw into the hole and hoping that the caulk holds and fixes the problem.

What I have learned is that is is best to buy the very expensive caulk.. with silicone in it... so it will remain flexible...it also seems to bond better to the metal roof material and make a better water seal.

Some of the first caulking I used was more asphalt... it has dried out, pulled away from the tin and allowed leaks again at that point.

So, now I remove the screw, use an angle grinder with wire brush attachment to clean off the old tar, scarring the roof for an area as small as possible, maybe less than the size of a quarter. I force the caulking into the hole leaving a large dollop on the surface. I feel with the point of the screw for the old screw hole and using an electric drill reinsert the screw. I seek to just snug it down.... otherwise it will strip the wood hole, if that hasn't already happened. I make sure that the caulk closes over the head of the screw and spreads out to cover the wire brush marks.

Then, on to the next one.

In your case, I'd put a nail or screw into the .22 holes in the roof and cover them with caulking. As for the rusty places.... I dunno... maybe just paint them over with the asphalt roofing tar???? I don't know if this will decrease or increase the rust rate.

Best wishes!

/ Looking for best way to patch metal roof #6  
Can you find the same pattern of roofing and make a patch using new metal and mastic tape?

/ Looking for best way to patch metal roof
shvl73, sure I can find the pattern its just corrugated tin from over a hundred years ago when corrugated tin was strong enough to stand on without supports but the problem is when I say they shot up the roof its everywhere so patching would be essentially a totally new roof and the tin you can buy today is paper thin. That is an interesting idea though I could get a piece of the new stuff and just coat the underside with a solid layer of roof tar and stick it to the worst spots. Your idea is a keeper and matter of fact I actually have numerous little pieces of the old stuff, tin snips and old tin patches, Thanks for the idea.
Steve

/ Looking for best way to patch metal roof #8  
Use stitch screws if you can't screw into a purlin.

/ Looking for best way to patch metal roof #9  
Steve -- I'd use mobile home roofing for that -- it's about $10 / gal --- but you can put it on as thin or thick as you like - in places as needed -- and it has sure worked for me in the past ---it'll plug those small holes-- lasts several years too. It has to be stirred well - to a uniform gold color - and the roof should be cleaned using bleach water the day before --- it dries to a silver color ---- I use a long handled, fairly short bristled, 1 ft wide push broom lookin thing to apply it ----like a wash brush sorta --- then throw it away when done.

/ Looking for best way to patch metal roof #10  
I was thinking exactly the same thing Mikim. You get the benefit of tar but the color of metal. Mobile home roof coating using a roller with a LONG handle would be my choice.

For the .22 bullet holes, perhaps a self tapping screw of appropriate size, liberally coated with caulk and then caulked over as well before sealing with the coating?

stevenf, sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.