Pasture Grass

/ Pasture Grass #12  
We use Graxon P+D for native and bermuda pastures - no re-entry time for horses and cattle - unless milking / slaughter.

First step is to identify the types of weeds you have. Then some websites have guides as to the best product and application guidlines.

Most of these chemicals require a pesticide applicators license.

Typically you can get chemicals at your local grain / seed / fertilizer with a spray rig to hook to you truck and pull through the field. And, they should set them up with your spray rate and the chemicals will be mixed accordingly to get the right volume of spray / chemical per acre.

Soil test to know what to do for soild requirements.

/ Pasture Grass #14  
Remedy is great, but hideously expensive (over $100/gallon). It's 61% active ingredient. You can review the label at www.dowagro.com. I put out 1 pt/acre with very good results on serecea. It's effective on all broadleaf (and clover), but hasn't touched the fescue. For all grazing except lactating dairy, there are NO grazing restrictions for less than 2 quarts/acre.

/ Pasture Grass #15  
Most weed killers will kill your clover! I put out annual rye seed spring and fall because my pastures get over grazed and this produces alot of safe food for the horses. Perennial rye can have endophytes. (Rye grass staggers) Fescue can also have endophytes which are not good for mares. My pasture is mostly brome grass.

/ Pasture Grass #16  
I didn't think 2,4-D would kill ANY kind of grass...I thought it was a broadleaf herbicide.

Before you buy anything, check with your county ag office. Around here, the county will give you 2,4-D for free if you are using it on noxious weeds (thistles, etc.).

The local paper had an article about how fescue is harmful to wildlife.

edit: I can't remember if it was 2,4-D or 2,4,5-T that we had sprayed out of a Cessan Agwagon. At any rate, it had to be flushed out because the next load was insecticide going on a row crop. There was apparently a little bit of that stuff left in the lines and we ran a tank of water through it as it sat on the ramp. When we came to work the next day, the area around the plane was littered with thousands (well, hundreds anyway) of little dead frogs. Something about that stuff attracted them from far and wide and killed them; there were so many we swept them up with push brooms.

/ Pasture Grass
Looks like 2-4D is the way to go and seems safe. I'll just keep the horses off for 7 days. As for the cut height I guess I'll move it up to 5" and let the 2-4D keep the weeds down.

Thanks to everyone for the info...

FL_Cracker